THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM DOUBLE RIFLES FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Double Rifles    Crimping or Non-crimping for DR ammo
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Crimping or Non-crimping for DR ammo
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
For bolt-action big bores we know that crimping is a must. What do most of you guys do when it comes to loading ammo for your doubles? I am speaking specifically of bullets with canalures.

"An individual with experience is never at the mercies of an individual with an argument"

Posts: 1827 | Location: Palmer AK & Prescott Valley AZ | Registered: 01 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I use a medium crimp in the canalures for 465 H&H and 470.

465H&H

Posts: 5686 | Location: Nampa, Idaho | Registered: 10 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Crimping prevents bullet movement ,important in a bolt action. But it also permits proper combustion of powders especially the slower burning ones. My experience is more with things like 44 mag revolvers where lack of crimp and lack of proper grip of the case on the bullet will definitely prevent proper combustion and this also effect accuracy.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I always use a meduim/heavy crimp on my 500NE rounds as well as any other heavy recoiling round used in a multi shot rifle. It prevents bullet jump in rounds after the first shot. Of course it isn't required in single shots, but to be consistent I crimp everything.

DRSS member

Constant change is here to stay.

Posts: 626 | Location: The soggy side of Washington State | Registered: 13 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I never crimp double rifle rounds. Without adequate neck tension, crimping won't reliably prevent bullet movement under recoil in the off barrel. With adequate neck tension, crimping isn't needed. For the larger bore doubles, just get a smaller expander ball or eliminate it entirely. Nothing more is needed.
------------------------------------------------
"Serious rifles have two barrels, everything else just burns gunpowder."

Posts: 1742 | Location: Texas | Registered: 10 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Spring
posted Hide Post
I definitely crimp all my .470 loads, particulary if they are used for hunting. Crimping also changes the way a load will shoot. I've found that I need less powder in a crimped load to get the same bullet speed of an uncrimped bullet.

Posts: 1445 | Location: Bronwood, GA | Registered: 10 June 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Don't crimp for my doubles in .350 Rigby No. 2 or .500/.450. Always ensure that the bullets are seated at least a quarter of an inch into the case.
Regards, Tim

Posts: 1320 | Location: Washington, DC | Registered: 17 March 2003Reply With Quote