Find
Notify
Tools

Guns you regret not buying.
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of gbanger
posted
For me, when I first started looking at double rifles, I got some Chapuis literature. This was in the late '90's. I saw they also made a side x side double 12 ga. with rifle sights regulated for Brenneke slugs. I didn't think much of it as I had rifles on the brain. Later, I had read about the Paradox gun and Pondoro Taylor's firm recommendation of their usefulness in camp and I got intrigued. I finally saw one listed on Chaddicks ad and called. They wanted $2,750 and told me at that time that if they had to order another one it would cost over 4K with the exchange rate then. That was a lot to me then and now. I mulled it over and by the time I had made up my mind to scrape the dough up it was gone. I've regretted it ever since.

Gpopper

Posts: 296 | Location: Texas | Registered: 24 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of vagrouser
posted Hide Post
Hey-"Harms" has one in 20ga listed on the classifieds here for $2500. That's an omen for sure. . . No financial interest either btw.
Bill

http://forums.accuratereloadin...501078901#4501078901

One of Us
Picture of JudgeG
posted Hide Post
One morning I was (not very seriously) checking out some double rifle sales sites. When I looked at the Champlin's site, one of J.A. Hunter's .500 N.E. Boss doubles was posted for $19,000. I called my banker and got "permission" to write the check. I called Champlins and due to the difference in EST and CST, they weren't open yet. I went to court and called about 12:00 p.m. my time. The gun had been sold 25 minutes before. Crap.

I also had a bid on GunBroker.com for an H&H .375 Express 2.5" on a Mannlicher action. I left for Africa as the high bidder and asked a friend to bid up to $1500. It sold for $1750. I've since shot the rifle. It is a piece of art and not listed on the auction (but included) was the original H&H gun case with authentic Pan Am Clipper stickers from all kinds of European and African seaplane stops. That great rifle had been there and done that. The dang case was worth $1750!

Later I bought a .375 Express Cogswell and Harrison for $3750 with a AmeriCase include. Why I sold that to Frank Beller, I wonder every day.

JudgeG ... just counting time 'til I am again finding balm in Gilead chilled out somewhere in the Selous.

Posts: 7711 | Location: GA | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 505ED
posted Hide Post
I passed a very nice I. Meffert sidelock in a 476 NE at the Vegas gun show early on a sat morning, it was priced at 15K. Well it ate on me all Sat and half of Sunday went back to buy the damn thing and it was gone.

Whoever owns that rifle is very very lucky!

DRSS Member

Posts: 2289 | Location: Texas | Registered: 02 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
judgeG

Well, that same J A Hunter 500NE is one.

Another was a Sidelock 450/400 over here which
I should have purchased.

Posts: 3191 | Location: Victoria, Australia | Registered: 01 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of gbanger
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the heads up, Bill. Kind of hung up on a 12 ga.

Gpopper

Posts: 296 | Location: Texas | Registered: 24 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of tendrams
posted Hide Post
I am pretty low maintenance. I wish I had bought a second Winchester Safari Express .416 in 2001 when I got my current one for under $800 BRAND NEW!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Colt single action army 45's in the mid 70's for $300.00 or less. Ruger Bearcat 22's
A nice double trigger Parker reproduction 28 gauge.

Posts: 3256 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
In 1991 before I knew much about doubles I passed up a 318 Westly Richards droplock that was selling for 1800$. homer

Posts: 113 | Location: canada | Registered: 21 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bearhunter762:
In 1991 before I knew much about doubles I passed up a 318 Westly Richards droplock that was selling for 1800$. homer

Ouch !!

Posts: 3191 | Location: Victoria, Australia | Registered: 01 March 2007Reply With Quote
One Of Us
Picture of new_guy
posted Hide Post
Piotti Monaco #4 28ga. It was "as new" and cheap (at least compared to the 60K they bring today.)

www.heymusa.com

HSC Booth # 306
SCI Booth # 3947

one of us
Picture of Spring
posted Hide Post
In 1991 I met a fellow that was having to sell a rack of M16s. New full-autos were blocked from being sold to the private market in 1987 and I should have had enough sense to know that would seriously impact the market. They were being offered for $1,800 each; now they're all in the $15,000-$20,000 range. OK, I did take one--but I should have bought them all!

Posts: 1445 | Location: Bronwood, GA | Registered: 10 June 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Less than three years ago, I was bidding on a Parker VH grade 20 ga. in at least 95% condition, and hesitated to up my bid from $3200. to $3500. The shotgun sold for the $3500. bid, WAY LESS than it's value. I still think about that F...UP ....... however, I do still have the Judge's .375 C&H ....... some days you do win.

.470 & 9.3X74R Chapuis'
Tikka O/U 9.3X74R
Searcy Classics 450/.400 3" & .577
C&H .375 2 1/2"
Krieghoff .500 NE
Member Dallas Safari Club

Posts: 1587 | Location: Eleanor, West Virginia (USA) | Registered: 20 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Akshooter
posted Hide Post
I had a streak of bad luck trying to buy a double rifle a number of years ago.
It started when I decided I needed a .375 H&H double. After some shopping around I found a beutiful sxs .375 double by one of the Ferlach makers (don't remember which one anymore) at a both at the S.C.I. show in Reno that year. I gave the guy a check for $7000.00 and told him I would have my dealer send him a copy of his FFL.
After about three weeks it became aparent that I wasn't going to ever see the rifle I ended up settling for $6500.00 from his bankrupsey attourny.
So the hunt was back on. I found another Ferlach .375 double right hear at home in one of my local gun shops. It was a consignment gun and I made a real lowball offer on it just to break the ice.
Suprisingly the guy took the offer but by the time I found out about it the dealer called a friend of his who was interested in the gun and let him know he could get it for that price. The rifle was gone when I checked with the store about my offer.

DRSS
NRA life
AK Master Guide 124

Posts: 1562 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 05 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I was offered Sir Gerald Burrards Holland eight bore rifle. I thought the price was just a tad high and a friend had some interest in the gun also, so I wasn't too aggressive in pursuing a deal. It went to auction a few weeks later and sold for 20k more than the asking price.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Not in the same realm as the doubles here, but when I was still in law school and clerking for a firm in Dallas, I'd go by Abercrombie & Fitch, which still had a gunshop then (that dates me). They had a Steyr .375 H&H that I really wanted. I went in to look at it every weekend. The manager got to know me and offered me a sweet deal. I didn't have the cash, so he offered it to me on time, with no interest. I had a wife and no permanent job at the time, so I just couldn't take it. It was a nice rifle. The job situation worked out and it would have been just fine. Always regretted it.

Posts: 10371 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 26 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I grew up reading everything Jack O'Connor wrote. A while ago I missed buying his Winchester Model 21 20 gauge 2 barrel set by about 2 hours. I have been trying to buy one of his guns for 10 years with no luck.

Posts: 3073 | Location: Pittsburgh, PA | Registered: 11 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
A Ruger "Hawkeye" .256 single action new in the box at Wal-Mart, 1972 in Joplin, MO for $69.50. Guy behind the counter complained he couldn't get rid of it as it was an odd-ball.

However, it usually isn't the ones that I regret not buying, but the ones I have sold.

Dutch

One of Us
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
A few years ago at the Dallas Safari Club Convention, Judge G found a beautiful little Webley & Scott double rifle in what we thought was 280 rimless. He pointed the rifle out to 400NitroExpress and myself. We oogled and fondled the rifle. I didn't have the $5500 to buy it and could find anyone who wanted to go in with me on the rifle. Turns out the rifle was a 280 Ross. I still kick myself for not buying that little beauty!

Rusty
We Band of Brothers!
DRSS, NRA & SCI Life Member

"I am rejoiced at my fate. Do not be uneasy about me, for I am with my friends."
----- David Crockett in his last letter (to his children), January 9th, 1836
"I will never forsake Texas and her cause. I am her son." ----- Jose Antonio Navarro, from Mexican Prison in 1841
"for I have sworn upon the altar of god eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man." Thomas Jefferson
Declaration of Arbroath April 6, 1320-“. . .It is not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself.”

Posts: 9797 | Location: Missouri City, Texas | Registered: 21 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
An H&H in 22 Savage HiPower at a store in Boise sat on the rack for a year in 1979. I finally got the price down to $1800, and bought it. A week later I got a call from a gentleman in Sun Valley asking if he could see the rifle. I took it up, and he looked at it and offered my twice what I paid. Sold!...

The other was a Krieghoff .500 NE 3" I passed on for $6000.

Rich
Buff Killer

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote