Find
Notify
Tools

V-C 700 in action
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
https://www.youtube.com/watch?...ip8&feature=youtu.be

This was filmed last Nov in Mozambique & is a small part of a French TV hunting program that will air latter this summer. Watch Jerome shoot while sitting.

The cartridge was loaded with Woodleigh softs. Although softs they were a little hard & did not really open as expected. Woodleigh is working on a new generation on 700 softs based on feedback. In fairness to Woodleigh they probably did not have a lot of real world data for the 700 to work with.

Ken

DRSS, PP Chapter
Life NRA
Life SCI
Life DSC

Posts: 1327 | Location: PA | Registered: 06 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My I ask three unimportant questions, but in all seriousness, Does the 700 ne need to expand? Did any shots exit? Was the last shot in the vid a spine shot?

Thank You, and very esthetically pleasing.

Posts: 11356 | Location: Somewhere above Tennessee and below Kentucky  | Registered: 31 July 2016Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by LHeym500:
My I ask three unimportant questions, but in all seriousness, Does the 700 ne need to expand? Did any shots exit? Was the last shot in the vid a spine shot?

Thank You, and very esthetically pleasing.

1) Personally I want them to expand.
2) All shots exited.
3) Yes it was. What appears to be mud flying after the impact is really bits & pieces of the buffalo. The camera was far enough away so that you can not tell & did not need to be edited out for TV

Ken

DRSS, PP Chapter
Life NRA
Life SCI
Life DSC

One of Us
posted Hide Post
A 700 Woodleigh is "pre-expanded" :-)

Posts: 20138 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Was that the "Stumpfinator" in the video? I'm sure he'll be ordering one soon :-)

Did anyone notice that Jerome's right arm is somewhat longer at the end of the day after carrying that beast?

Posts: 20138 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of bwanamrm
posted Hide Post
Love the deep relief engraving on that rifle with floral and Celtic scroll!

On the plains of hesitation lie the bleached bones of ten thousand, who on the dawn of victory lay down their weary heads resting, and there resting, died.

If you can talk with crowds and keep your virtue,
Or walk with Kings - nor lose the common touch...
Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it,
And - which is more - you'll be a Man, my son!
- Rudyard Kipling

Life grows grim without senseless indulgence.

Posts: 7540 | Location: Victoria, Texas | Registered: 30 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hmm...I think I would draw the line at a .600 double..

Posts: 3965 | Location: Vell, I yust dont know.. | Registered: 27 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Love it tu2 Good to see Jerome handle the 700 !

Guess my VC 450 will be less harmful to shoulder. Starting practising soon for my first tuskless i Zimbabawe in July Cool Looking very much forward to that.

Morten

The more I know, the less I wonder !

Posts: 1138 | Location: Oslo area, Norway | Registered: 26 June 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
3) Yes it was. What appears to be mud flying after the impact is really bits & pieces of the buffalo. The camera was far enough away so that you can not tell & did not need to be edited out for TV[/QUOTE]

There is your marketing when simply putting holes through your game will not do...reach for the VC 700 Nitro Express.

Posts: 11356 | Location: Somewhere above Tennessee and below Kentucky  | Registered: 31 July 2016Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Looks great!
Well done to Jerome and the VC guys,
What was the final weight of it Ken?
It looks quite manageable to shoot.
When's it going into production?

Cheers

Nick

Posts: 665 | Location: EU | Registered: 05 September 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
They are completing 3 guns to start, one is sold two are available. The gun in the video was 20lb.

Ken

DRSS, PP Chapter
Life NRA
Life SCI
Life DSC

One of Us
posted Hide Post
It's amazing that a buffalo can get hit with a 700 NE and still at least turn and run. The second shot looked like it blew out some hamburger.

Posts: 1279 | Location: The Bluegrass State | Registered: 21 October 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of subsailor74
posted Hide Post
Amazing! Jerome is the man!!!!!

Posts: 1594 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 29 September 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jorge
posted Hide Post
Lovely rifle, Ken. As always! Nice video production too!

USN (ret)
DRSS Verney-Carron 450NE
Cogswell & Harrison 375 Fl NE
Sabatti Big Five 375 FL Magnum NE
DSC Life Member
NRA Life Member

Posts: 7145 | Location: Orange Park, Florida. USA | Registered: 22 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I get it, there is always that guy who needs the biggest, the tallest, the most expensive, flashy, bling, whatever. The .700 NE is a stupid human trick, besides just wanting the "big one" there is no reason for that round to exist.

A .500NE will do anything and everything better than a .700 in a rifle that weighs half as much and can actually be used like a rifle not a mortar tube.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Outstanding! That rifle is a beast, a beautiful beast! If that is the same rifle that was at DSC I would hate to have to carry it, but I would love to shoot it.

Great job Jerome!

Posts: 41859 | Location: Crosby and Barksdale, Texas | Registered: 18 September 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Nakihunter
posted Hide Post
Cool video. & nice looking rifle.

I noticed the thumb lever is not in the middle. Is that a design feature or is the action so tight that the lever is not moving to the middle? I would feel very uneasy shooting the rifle with the lever so much to the right.

"When the wind stops....start rowing. When the wind starts, get the sail up quick."

Posts: 11020 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 02 July 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
A new gun will be fitted that way, so as the Bolt,(attached to the top lever) wears into the Bite (slots on lumps on barrels), the top lever will slowly move to the center.

Posts: 1615 | Location: Vermont | Registered: 27 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Nakihunter:
Cool video. & nice looking rifle.

I noticed the thumb lever is not in the middle. Is that a design feature or is the action so tight that the lever is not moving to the middle? I would feel very uneasy shooting the rifle with the lever so much to the right.

The lever should be right of center. The lever will move towards the middle as the gun wears. A new gun with the lever in the center will be left of center after it wears in.

After I close a double I always pull the lever to the left to be certain it is closed properly.

Ken

DRSS, PP Chapter
Life NRA
Life SCI
Life DSC

One of Us
Picture of ozhunter
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Nakihunter:

Are you concerned about the position of your water tap handle?
It matters not where it is so long as it is closed properly.
By having the lever off centre allows for wearing in.

Posts: 5886 | Location: Sydney,Australia  | Registered: 03 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of cal pappas
posted Hide Post
Nice video and super rifle. I did notice the barrels barely jumped off the shooting sticks and the recoil seemed quite mild. The cartridge must have been down-loaded quite a bit. Do you have any information what velocity you were shooting?

I've said for years, if I was going to buy a new production double, it would be a V-C.
Cheers,
Cal

Cal Pappas, Willow, Alaska
www.CalPappas.com
www.CalPappas.blogspot.com
1994 Zimbabwe
1997 Zimbabwe
1998 Zimbabwe
1999 Zimbabwe
1999 Namibia, Botswana, Zambia--vacation
2000 Australia
2002 South Africa
2003 South Africa
2003 Zimbabwe
2005 South Africa
2005 Zimbabwe
2006 Tanzania
2006 Zimbabwe--vacation
2007 Zimbabwe--vacation
2008 Zimbabwe
2012 Australia
2013 South Africa
2013 Zimbabwe
2013 Australia
2016 Zimbabwe
2017 Zimbabwe
2018 South Africa
2018 Zimbabwe--vacation
2019 South Africa
2019 Botswana
2019 Zimbabwe vacation
2021 South Africa
2021 South Africa (2nd hunt a month later)

Posts: 7281 | Location: Willow, Alaska | Registered: 29 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hi Cal.

In your experience what of the two calibers presents outmost stoppingpower?....an 8bore or a .600 nitro? .

DRSS: HQ Scandinavia. Chapters in Sweden & Norway

Posts: 2805 | Location: Denmark | Registered: 09 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of cal pappas
posted Hide Post
.600 nitro. I've taken the .600 on six trips overseas and loved every minute of it (except when carrying the damn boat anchor).
I've shot two bison with my 4-bore but no game with the 8.
Cal

www.CalPappas.com
1994 Zimbabwe
1997 Zimbabwe
1998 Zimbabwe
1999 Zimbabwe
2000 Australia
2002 South Africa
2003 South Africa
2003 Zimbabwe
2005 South Africa
2005 Zimbabwe
2006 Tanzania
2006 Zimbabwe--vacation
2007 Zimbabwe--vacation
2008 Zimbabwe
2012 Australia
2013 South Africa
2013 Zimbabwe
2013 Australia
2016 Zimbabwe
2017 Zimbabwe
2018 South Africa
2018 Zimbabwe--vacation
2019 South Africa
2019 Botswana
2019 Zimbabwe vacation
2021 South Africa

Posts: 7281 | Location: Willow, Alaska | Registered: 29 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks

DRSS: HQ Scandinavia. Chapters in Sweden & Norway

Posts: 2805 | Location: Denmark | Registered: 09 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cal pappas:
Nice video and super rifle. I did notice the barrels barely jumped off the shooting sticks and the recoil seemed quite mild. The cartridge must have been down-loaded quite a bit. Do you have any information what velocity you were shooting?

I've said for years, if I was going to buy a new production double, it would be a V-C.
Cheers,
Cal

Jerome told me it was loaded to the standard for the 700, off hand that is a 1,000 gr bullet at approx 2000 fps. He mentioned to me that the recoil was far less than what he had expected while building the gun. Proper stock design & 20lb weight helps to make it manageable while shooting.

Ken

DRSS, PP Chapter
Life NRA
Life SCI
Life DSC

One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
AWESOME!!!

One of Us
Picture of eagle27
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Kebco:
The cartridge was loaded with Woodleigh softs. Although softs they were a little hard & did not really open as expected.

Nice video but how was it judged that the Woodleigh softs did not really open as expected when they all exited i.e. presumably none recovered? Or have I missed something?

Posts: 3877 | Location: Nelson, New Zealand | Registered: 03 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of cal pappas
posted Hide Post
Ken:
Thanks for the info on loading the .700 and the recoil and muzzle rise. I have shot a few big doubles (but never a .700) and the muzzle rise is not what the know-it-alls say it is. Here is an interesting photo of Boddington shooting a .700. I'd say the hype is a bit over done--bordering on bullshit.
Cal

www.CalPappas.com
1994 Zimbabwe
1997 Zimbabwe
1998 Zimbabwe
1999 Zimbabwe
2000 Australia
2002 South Africa
2003 South Africa
2003 Zimbabwe
2005 South Africa
2005 Zimbabwe
2006 Tanzania
2006 Zimbabwe--vacation
2007 Zimbabwe--vacation
2008 Zimbabwe
2012 Australia
2013 South Africa
2013 Zimbabwe
2013 Australia
2016 Zimbabwe
2017 Zimbabwe
2018 South Africa
2018 Zimbabwe--vacation
2019 South Africa
2019 Botswana
2019 Zimbabwe vacation
2021 South Africa

One of Us
Picture of sambarman338
posted Hide Post
An interesting pic, Cal; looks kinda like the target is a high pheasant Smiler

Posts: 5009 | Location: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: 31 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Nakihunter
posted Hide Post
I shot a 600 NE Jeffery a few years ago when visiting Sam in NC. The full power 900 gr load at 1950 fps pushed me back a half step. On the other hand Sam's Chapuis 470NE did not fit me and it beat me up badly with 2 shots. I ended up with a big lump on my cheek & an aching jaw and shoulder.

"When the wind stops....start rowing. When the wind starts, get the sail up quick."

Posts: 11020 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 02 July 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by eagle27:
quote:
The cartridge was loaded with Woodleigh softs. Although softs they were a little hard & did not really open as expected.

Nice video but how was it judged that the Woodleigh softs did not really open as expected when they all exited i.e. presumably none recovered? Or have I missed something?

One of the group picked up a spent bullet laying on the ground.

Ken

DRSS, PP Chapter
Life NRA
Life SCI
Life DSC

One of Us
Picture of Karl S
posted Hide Post
I was on this hunt and shot a buffalo with it. I also saw the gun in action on other buffalo and on the range with a variety of guys shooting it. In fact, very few bullets excited, most expanded a bit. Also, Jerome told us that the loaded velocity was 1850ft/ sec. but I suspect some of the cases they has to use to get ready for the hunt (turned cases), was even lower, that is why some woodleighs did not expand. I have a few photos of bullets found in buffalo, I will try and post them soon.

The gun was a real pleasure to shoot, recoil being less than any of the guns that I use for hunting regularly ( a 450 Rigby bolt, a .500 NE Verney and a .577 NE verney). It was a real piece of art, and yes it is way more than needed, but it was absolute fun to hunt with.

Karl Stumpfe
Ndumo Hunting Safaris www.huntingsafaris.net
karl@huntingsafaris.net
P.O. Box 1667, Katima Mulilo, Namibia
Cell: +264 81 1285 416
Fax: +264 61 254 328
Sat. phone: +88 163 166 9264

Posts: 1334 | Location: Namibia, Caprivi | Registered: 11 September 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Karl, you forgot to put down your LOP on the order form :-)

One of Us
Picture of Karl S
posted Hide Post
Biebs, I would love one, but Im afraid my elephant hunts would have to double in price to pay for it!

Karl Stumpfe
Ndumo Hunting Safaris www.huntingsafaris.net
karl@huntingsafaris.net
P.O. Box 1667, Katima Mulilo, Namibia
Cell: +264 81 1285 416
Fax: +264 61 254 328
Sat. phone: +88 163 166 9264

Posts: 1334 | Location: Namibia, Caprivi | Registered: 11 September 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
A 20 pound gun is a lot to lug around. Beautiful gun though.

Posts: 12018 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 26 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cal pappas:
Ken:
Thanks for the info on loading the .700 and the recoil and muzzle rise. I have shot a few big doubles (but never a .700) and the muzzle rise is not what the know-it-alls say it is. Here is an interesting photo of Boddington shooting a .700. I'd say the hype is a bit over done--bordering on bullshit.
Cal

It's funny you show this photo, because I have always thought it was a joke. Given whose gun that belongs to I wouldn't think that that guy would be caught perprtrateing lies about doubles unless it was in jest.

Posts: 1279 | Location: The Bluegrass State | Registered: 21 October 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
That pic comes from Safari Rifles. I know they are talking about the 700 when they show the vid, but on the DVD the rifle looks more like Bill Jones,that was also featured,600 instead. Boddington would write that he doubled a 600 nitro after the DVD came out. So, I assumed this was in fact the 600 he doubled. Boddington has not in writing identified who/what 600 he doubled. As always, I am willing to be wrong.

Boddington has written that Jack Lott did the same sky barrels with a 577. Maybe he learned that bit of drama from him.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?...ip8&feature=youtu.be

This was filmed last Nov in Mozambique & is a small part of a French TV hunting program that will air latter this summer. Watch Jerome shoot while sitting.

The cartridge was loaded with Woodleigh softs. Although softs they were a little hard & did not really open as expected. Woodleigh is working on a new generation on 700 softs based on feedback. In fairness to Woodleigh they probably did not have a lot of real world data for the 700 to work with.

Kebco, I have been emailing Audrey Ferreol about having a V-C built. I would like to see some in person first. Are you still in business and do you have some rifles in stock?

USMC Retired
DSC Life Member
SCI Life Member
NRA Life Member

Posts: 730 | Location: Maryland Eastern Shore | Registered: 27 September 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ck your PMS

Ken

DRSS, PP Chapter
Life NRA
Life SCI
Life DSC

one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
Kebco, I have to agree with others here! That is a beautiful rifle, and the filming was superb. I assume the elevated filming was done with drones, and if so the erasing the sound of the drone was a very good idea. Congratulations to you and Jerome, Well done!
..................................................................... old

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote