Notify
Tools

Are Gun Guys Luddites?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
Pago,

Is the receiver on that rifle Stainless or is it just coin finished? Almost looks like SS in the pictures.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thank you sir!. And we've already been through the "thank you for your service" thing. I honestly don't know if it is stainless or coin finished. Butch has it right now restocking it. It is about an inch and a half too short for me. He's gonna tune it up for me, reface it, re-ink the engraving (he says) and relacquer it. Can't wait to get it back.
Yes, sir I can shoot now. My first day was Friday last. Sighted a new ar-15 in. Then Sunday, I shot an older, new to me, Rem 700 in 6mm. For a rifle that isn't suppposed to be as accurate as a .243, It certainly ain't no slouch. All I shot in it was factory Federal, the cheaper 100 gr. and if I do my part, it is a one hole gun. Then I worked directly up to my .338 Sendero. That popgun bruised my shoulder. I have not had that happen before. I had a new Ruger RSM in .375 H & H out to play with and couldn't find the balls to pull the trigger on it. I guess I will have to work back up to harder kicking rifles again. I was afraid of that after the surgery and now I know. It will be awhile before I get my Searcy back and even longer before I am healed enough to shoot it. Gonna have to work on shooting the bigger stuff tho, taking the .470 Searcy and a .375 on a buff hunt next June. I have awhile yet so it is not impossible.

Posts: 4214 | Location: Southern Colorado | Registered: 09 October 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Wingnut! Where did you find that! You scooped me on it...I'm incensed! What a beautiful piece. What caliber was it?

If you don't want to have the LOP lengthened, I'll but it as is and have my arms surgically shortened! Very nice!

Posts: 20165 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Dave Bush
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Todd Williams:
quote:
Originally posted by pagosawingnut:
I'll try Biebs. Gotta see if I remember how.
Dang, you can teach an old dog new tricks.

Now THAT!!!, is a nice looking rifle. I still have a very strong desire to have Butch build a DR for me. Maybe a 500/416 if he will build that caliber. I think I remember reading that he will.

Pago, very nice gun indeed.

Todd, don't you think it would look better with a nice Leupold 4x12 on it? Big Grin

Dave
DRSS
Chapuis 9.3X74
Chapuis "Jungle" .375 FL
Krieghoff 500/.416 NE
Krieghoff 500 NE

"Git as close as y can laddie an then git ten yards closer"

"If the biggest, baddest animals on the planet are on the menu, and you'd rather pay a taxidermist than a mortician, consider the 500 NE as the last word in life insurance." Hornady Handbook of Cartridge Reloading (8th Edition).

Posts: 3728 | Location: Midwest | Registered: 26 November 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
Not in that caliber!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I WANT IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posts: 20165 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Biebs:
I WANT IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You would just sell it!! coffee

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hey, is it "Todd" or "Turd"? :-)

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Biebs,
It is a .470 Nitro. A friend of mine was in a gunshop (high end shotgun place in CA) right before Christmas and called me on it when a man brought it in and put it on consignment. After a couple of phone calls, and promise of a payment, it was sold.
Butch is as we speak replacing the wood to my specific fit sheet and going through it to tune.
No, it would not look better with a scope on it. That is what my Blaser S2 in .470 is for. Biebs, if you really want it, the replacement value would be about 38000. I believe he sells his sidelocks now for 30,000 and there is over 8000 in additional engraving. Has ejectors, shoots real nice too!. Butch regulates his .470's with a 500gr @2250fps. Hell it will compete with my .458 Lott except for the other 10 fps. And if you bought it or even traded me one of his Standard sidelocks without the engraving, you'd just sell it. Big Grin

Posts: 4214 | Location: Southern Colorado | Registered: 09 October 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Oh, and Thanks Dave, Todd and Biebs. I believe for the money I will have in it, it is one hell of a nice gun. A bit flashy for me but..........

One of Us
Picture of Dave Bush
posted Hide Post
Pago:

Beautiful gun. Are you sure it's a sidelock and not a boxlock with sideplates? Second question. Are you sure that Butch regulates his 470s at 2250 fps. That seems awfully fast.

Dave
DRSS
Chapuis 9.3X74
Chapuis "Jungle" .375 FL
Krieghoff 500/.416 NE
Krieghoff 500 NE

"If the biggest, baddest animals on the planet are on the menu, and you'd rather pay a taxidermist than a mortician, consider the 500 NE as the last word in life insurance." Hornady Handbook of Cartridge Reloading (8th Edition).

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Dave,
You and probably many others would know better than me, but when you enter Searcy's website, you click on double rifles and it brings up categories and one of them is "Sidelocks". Once in that sidelocks site, click on engraving and the pictures on top are of the exact rifle. So I assume that it is a sidelock. Could be mistaken. Remember, I didn't know that the K gun could be reloaded and fired without having to recock it.
And 2250 definitely does seem fast but that is what Butch told me he regulates his rifles for. The load is a 500 grain, be it a Woodleigh, Barnes TSX or a CEB, 106 grains of, I believe, IMR4831 and a Fed 215 primer. He uses Jameson brass, or so he told me. He said it chrono's out at about 2250. Just going on what he told me.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Dave,
You and probably many others would know better than me, but when you enter Searcy's website, you click on double rifles and it brings up categories and one of them is "Sidelocks". Once in that sidelocks site, click on engraving and the pictures on top are of the exact rifle. So I assume that it is a sidelock. Could be mistaken. Remember, I didn't know that the K gun could be reloaded and fired without having to recock it.
And 2250 definitely does seem fast but that is what Butch told me he regulates his rifles for. The load is a 500 grain, be it a Woodleigh, Barnes TSX or a CEB, 106 grains of, I believe, IMR4831 and a Fed 215 primer. He uses Jameson brass, or so he told me. He said it chrono's out at about 2250. Just going on what he told me.

My Searcy 470 is regulated for the 106 grains of IMR-4831 load and I can't get anywhere near 2,250 fps. More like 2,080 fps.

465H&H

Posts: 5686 | Location: Nampa, Idaho | Registered: 10 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Tht was just what I was told by Butch. I have not run it through the chrono to verify yet but that is handy to know.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Biebs,
you can just trade me a new Searcy like mine without all the fancy engraving. It would save you some money.................

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Or you could "man up" to the Granite Mountain 600 OK :-)

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Probably not gonna happen. I think, off the bench, I am at my maximum recoil level with the .470 and the .458 Lott. AND after shoulder surgery in Feb, a .338 win bruised me up on Sunday. Gonna have to work back up to the fun calibers.
Just pulling your hair a little bit. I stole this rifle and plan on keeping it. by the time I get the stock replaced, a few other minor improvements, I probably won't have 14,000 in it.

One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
quote:
by the time I get the stock replaced, a few other minor improvements, I probably won't have 14,000 in it.

And you were calling ME rich the other day!! shocker

I don't have a gun in my safe that comes close to that amount! Smiler

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I been collecting guns for about 40 years and have an FFL so I get guns at dealer pricing. After collecting them for that long, I have thinned out the collection down to the ones I like and want to keep and shoot. Trust me, That rifle cost me 5 rifles and 2 of the pistols I had. As well as some of my Africa money. but for the price, I couldn't pass it up. Restocking is gonna be 3000 and I don't know how much the rest will be until Butch sends me a bill but I will still have less than half of what it would sell for now in it.
And Todd, some of the doubles you have probably cost pretty close to that. Rich guys.....sheeeesh

One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
quote:
I been collecting guns for about 40 years and have an FFL so I get guns at dealer pricing. After collecting them for that long, I have thinned out the collection down to the ones I like and want to keep and shoot. Trust me, That rifle cost me 5 rifles and 2 of the pistols I had. As well as some of my Africa money. but for the price, I couldn't pass it up. Restocking is gonna be 3000 and I don't know how much the rest will be until Butch sends me a bill but I will still have less than half of what it would sell for now in it.
And Todd, some of the doubles you have probably cost pretty close to that. Rich guys.....sheeeesh

I've only got two doubles in the safe right now. A Chapuis 9.3 and a 28Ga Spanish made shotgun. Each less than 1/3 of that Searcy.

I'm just a po country boy! What you talking bout Pago? old

One of Us
Picture of Dave Bush
posted Hide Post
If Todd was rich, he won't be for long. He really has the double rifle bug. dancing

Dave
DRSS
Chapuis 9.3X74
Chapuis "Jungle" .375 FL
Krieghoff 500/.416 NE
Krieghoff 500 NE

One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dave Bush:
If Todd was rich, he won't be for long. He really has the double rifle bug. dancing

Now there's a true statement! Got it like Whitney Houston had the crack bug!! lol

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've sacrificed a LOT for my gun collection over the years. I've cut it down by half and still have about 125,000 in hardware. My 3 most expensive are the Searcy that I gave 9500 for, the Blaser S2 that I have 8000 in and the Barrett 82A1 that I have about 9000 in. I got rid of the expensive Colts to put into my hunting fund along with a bunch of other collectibles that I wasn't ever gonna shoot. I'm not rich, I'm gun poor.

One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
quote:
I'm gun poor.

Me Too!!