THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM DOUBLE RIFLES FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Double Rifles    New Stock Pattern for Baikal
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

New Stock Pattern for Baikal
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted
Here is my pattern I made for a stock to be used on Baikal side by sides. It has the Bavarian cheek piece and palm swell. No schwein back as I don't like them but there is enough wood to do it if you wanted; butt is 5.5 inches tall. Fore-end has wood left for schnabel. Hooked grip as well. I left the wood at the receiver end oversize so all variations of Baikal receivers can be accommodated and I left .1 proud so it can be fitted to the action. LOP is 15 as is.
Being a critic is the easiest job in the world, so here is your big chance.

Posts: 17286 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
That should give one a good head start to make a nice stock for his Baikal. I bet it will look much nicer when it is trimed down and shaped to the actual size.

tu2

Best regards

Malek
Good shooting/hunting and God's best

Best regards

Malek
Good Hunting/Shooting and God's best.

Posts: 812 | Location: Charlotte, NC | Registered: 25 December 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Trimmed down? It's not supposed to be a small stock. It is made to be more hand filling than the original.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Dcpd; what I meant is that when the proud portion of the action area is removed and trimmed down to the actual size and when all that gooey stuff is replaced by wood that will make one heck of nice looking stock.

Best regards

Malek

Best regards

Malek

Posts: 812 | Location: Charlotte, NC | Registered: 25 December 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Does it have enough meat (wood) at the receiver area in case one wants to make a stock out of it for another rifle than the Baikal? I know it depends on the rifle make and receiver dimensions, but in case one wants to do so.

Best regards

Malek

Best regards

Malek

One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Depends in the dimensions of what you want it to fit. So, the answer is "maybe". It has .1 inch larger dimensions than a Baikal and the tangs are stock Baikal.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Are the tangs areas are exact or they are .1" under sized in this case allowing for a hand fit?

Best regards

Malek
Good shooting/hunting and God's best.

Best regards

Malek

One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
About .020 under.

posted Hide Post
I really like the stack pattern and would like one for my 45-70 Baikal. Are you duplicating the pattern now? I have a piece of walnut I would like to use but need to know what dimensions of the rough blank are necessary to duplicate the pattern.

Posts: 2 | Location: Central, PA, USA | Registered: 07 December 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Blank has to be at least 2 3/8th thick to fully clean up the cheek piece. Length is 16; 6 inches at the butt and 5 at the pistol grip to get the full hook. This is not a small stock. The pattern is ready to make stocks from.

posted Hide Post
dpcd Please check your PMs

Posts: 2 | Location: Central, PA, USA | Registered: 07 December 2009Reply With Quote