Notify
Tools

Need HELP finding a double
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of JefferyDenmark
posted
Gentlemen

I need some advice regarding a double rifle in .470 NE.
I am helping a friend finding the best double in the $10,000-13,000 range.
We have looked at Searcy PH, Chapuis, Merkel, Krieghoff.
What is the best double in that range?
My friend would like ejectors, and I think that the cocking system on the Krieghoff makes it a slow and clumsy weapon.

Cheers,

André

Always always use enough... GUN & KNIFE

Posts: 2293 | Location: The Kingdom of Denmark | Registered: 13 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Mike Brooks
posted Hide Post
Merkel 470 $8700 USD
http://www.auctionarms.com/search/displayitem.cfm?itemnum=8331194

NRA Life
ASSRA Life
DRSS

Today's Quote:
Give a man a fish and he eats for a day. Give a man a welfare check, a free cell phone with free monthly minutes, food stamps, section 8 housing, a forty ounce malt liquor, a crack pipe and some Air Jordan's and he votes Democrat for a lifetime.

Posts: 4096 | Location: Cherkasy Ukraine  | Registered: 19 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 505ED
posted Hide Post
William Douglass & sons if you can find one. They float around form time to time, they might be a bit north of 13,000 but can find them some time for 12,500-13,000.

DRSS Member

Posts: 2289 | Location: Texas | Registered: 02 July 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Andre
Have him handle the ones you have named and get the one he likes the best. They are all good doubles.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the fast replyes.
Only Problem is that My friend is in Tanzania and many of these fine doubles are not for use to handle at the lokal stores.
I have handled most of then at IWA in Nürnberg or at gunstores where in the US.

Have any of you heard about rust proiblems with the Chapui. The Cabelas special seems like a sweet package:

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/content/community/gun...20080000_chap470.jsp

Cheers,

André

Posts: 2293 | Location: The Kingdom of Denmark | Registered: 13 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Andre

I have been hunting with a 9,3x74R Chapuis for several years.
I have hunted it in Texas, Idaho, Montana, Canada, and 3 trips to Zim totalling 86 hunting days.

It has seen some wet weather and some [a lot actually] sweaty hands carrying, no rusting problems.

I have shot 3 different 470 Chapuis doubles and all of them shot extremely well.

A gunmaker friend of mine rates them as one of the best of the new made doubles.

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
N E 450 No 2
Thanks Smiler
There is nothing like feedback from people with first hand experience.
They sure seem like fine rifles and not too pricy.

Cheers,

André

one of us
Picture of juanpozzi
posted Hide Post
Andre i used the MERKEL 470 and its what i would buy for a PH its short ,ergonomical,and with excelent balance ,i used Chapuis,Krieghoff,and HyH ,for the money i would choose the merkel.
Ask SGgraves ,he has Chapuis and Merkel rifles ,Don Heath can advice you too.Juan

www.huntinginargentina.com.ar FULL PROFESSIONAL MEMBER OF IPHA INTERNATIONAL PROFESSIONAL HUNTERS ASOCIATION .
DSC PROFESSIONAL MEMBER
DRSS--SCI
NRA
IDPA
IPSC-FAT -argentine shooting federation cred number2-

Posts: 6382 | Location: Cordoba argentina | Registered: 26 July 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of juanpozzi
posted Hide Post
Merkel and buffalo

www.huntinginargentina.com.ar FULL PROFESSIONAL MEMBER OF IPHA INTERNATIONAL PROFESSIONAL HUNTERS ASOCIATION .
DSC PROFESSIONAL MEMBER
DRSS--SCI
NRA
IDPA
IPSC-FAT -argentine shooting federation cred number2-

Posts: 6382 | Location: Cordoba argentina | Registered: 26 July 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JBoutfishn
posted Hide Post
quote:
My friend would like ejectors, and I think that the cocking system on the Krieghoff makes it a slow and clumsy weapon.

That would be your opinion. I have used the Krieghoff in a few up front and personal situations and found it to be very quick and extremely safe. Depends on the user Wink

Jim "Bwana Umfundi"
NRA

Posts: 3014 | Location: State Of Jefferson | Registered: 27 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
This is true. A PH I hunt with loves his Kreighoff and the cocking issue is no issue. On the other hand, no extractor rifle is a fast as an ejector rifle when it comes to reloads.

JPK

Free 500grains

Posts: 4900 | Location: Chevy Chase, Md. | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have to agree with Jboutfishn. I also think the Krieghoff system is much safer than other safety systems as it is not cocked and has no tension on the springs. Once you use the Krieghoff it is second nature. You always by ejectors if available and if you don’t want them they can be deactivated. Having them will help if you decide to sell the rifle. All the rifles you listed are great rifles for the price.
Bill

Member DSC,DRSS,NRA,TSRA
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
-Mark Twain
There ought to be one day - just one – when there is open season on Congressmen.
~Will Rogers~

Posts: 1132 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: 09 May 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of zimbabwe
posted Hide Post
Have owned Heym,Chapuis and Merkel. Chapuis was my favorite,Heym by far the best built (in MY opinion) and Merkel the best buy by far.

SCI Life Member
NRA Patron Life Member
DRSS

Posts: 2786 | Location: Green Valley,Az | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have owned both Merkel and Heym. I actually sold the Merkel to buy the Heym. Although it costs a fair bit more than the others mentioned, I think it is in a whole different category in respect to balance and overall quality.

Geronimo

Posts: 816 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 14 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If he wants a Merkel with ejectors you should ask around there in Europe to see if the new ejector guns are available over there yet. They are overdue here in the US, it was supposed to be October.

The Heym is the better gun than all those mentioned.

Posts: 1083 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 05 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
YOU WILL NEVER GO WRONG WITH A MERKEL 470, ESP IF YOU CAN GET ONE OF THE NEW EJECTOR MODELS.

AS THEY COME INTO THE MARKET THE NON- EJECTOR MODELS WILL DECLINE IN PRICE MAKING THEM AN EVEN BETTER VASLUE THAN THEY ARE NOW !

ASK MC d about merkels - he is most knowledgeable

TOMO577

Posts: 1144 | Location: west of erie, pa | Registered: 15 September 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Gentlemen

Thanks for all the great imput.
The Heym PH model in cal. .470 NE is now on the top of the list.
That is a real working double with all the right features.
Great classic stock design and whatr looks like a SOLID BLE.

Cheers,

André

One of Us
posted Hide Post
good decision !

TOMO577

Posts: 1144 | Location: west of erie, pa | Registered: 15 September 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Geronomo:
I have owned both Merkel and Heym. I actually sold the Merkel to buy the Heym. Although it costs a fair bit more than the others mentioned, I think it is in a whole different category in respect to balance and overall quality.

Geronimo

I find nothing I can cuss with the Merkel rifles, but I agree with Geronomo, on the Heym.

I had a Heym 88 a few years ago,when they only cost $4K, new, and I wish I had not sold it, and if the Heym's price was very close to the Merkel, I'd have a couple now rather than my Merkels. However, I have two Merkels a 470NE 140-2 safari, and a 9.3X74R 140E, and both together cost me less than one Heym 88, so being a poor man, the Merkels came home with me. That fact is not to say anything bad about the Heym, because I believe it is worth every penny of it's price, I just can't afford one, and still hunt! CRYBABY

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
One Of Us
Picture of new_guy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MacD37:
That fact is not to say anything bad about the Heym, because I believe it is worth every penny of it's price, I just can't afford one, and still hunt! CRYBABY

For a "good guy" like you Mac, we'll work out a trade on the 470 and the 9.3 to get you into a new 450/400. Wink

www.heymusa.com

HSC Booth # 306
SCI Booth # 3947

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I actually owned one of the Brousse 470 Chapuis that Cabelas is selling right now, and I owned a merkel 140 before that (traded the Merkel in for the Chapuis, along with a few other rifles).

The advantage of the chapuis over the merkel 140 in my opinion is primarily aesthetics and ejectors. That said, there is a new 140 out with ejectors. The chapuis really is a good looking rifle with attractive wood and engraving. It handled a bit better than my merkel in my opinion. Specifically, the chapuis felt a bit less barrel heavy than the Merkel.

Ultimately, I returned the Chapuis back to Cabelas because it didn't fit me worth spit. The LOP was about an inch and a half too short for me, and I couldn't stand the thought of putting some ugly extensions on the back of that pretty little stock. The triggers were also pretty terrible and were in need of some work (this problem seems to be pretty commonplace for over the counter doubles). I'd call the cabelas in Buda, TX and see if they are selling my old Chapuis at a used price. I only had one range session with it, so it might be a good deal if they've lowered the price.

Now, I'm in the market for a heym 450/400, but as some have pointed out, they are another price step up from the merkels and chapuis. Good luck.

"Sometimes nothing can be a pretty cool hand."

470 Heym; 9.3x74r Chapuis, Heym 450/400 on it's way

Posts: 653 | Location: austin, texas | Registered: 23 July 2007Reply With Quote