THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM DOUBLE RIFLES FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Double Rifles    Proper technique for hunting with hammer gun.
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Proper technique for hunting with hammer gun.
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of JCS271
posted
I was wondering how hunters carried their hammer guns back in the day. My underlever hammer gun does NOT have rebounding hammers. The hammers are either resting on the firing pins, at half cock or at full cock. When in a hunting situation I assume they carried these rifles on half cock and went to full cock just before the moment of truth. Any thoughts or references on their techniques. Thanks, JCS

"The difference between adventure and disaster is preparation."
"The problem with quoting info from the internet is that you can never be sure it is accurate" Abraham Lincoln

Posts: 1626 | Location: Montana Territory | Registered: 27 March 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hammers on Half Cock and go to full cock when needed.

That's my understanding of it.

Posts: 3191 | Location: Victoria, Australia | Registered: 01 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
On the half cock -- and make double damn sure that those notches and sear tips are fit for the job and safe to carry!

Cheers
Tinker

Posts: 802 | Location: Palomino Valley, NV | Registered: 26 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by a.tinkerer:
On the half cock -- and make double damn sure that those notches and sear tips are fit for the job and safe to carry!

Cheers
Tinker

+1

Well said tinker, should have said it myself.

Some of those old guns are a bit worn.

JCS271
It might be worth doing a drop test anyway just to make sure
if you haven't already done so.

Posts: 3191 | Location: Victoria, Australia | Registered: 01 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of JCS271
posted Hide Post
What is considered the "right way" to perform a drop test (height, surface etc?). Thanks, JCS

"The difference between adventure and disaster is preparation."
"The problem with quoting info from the internet is that you can never be sure it is accurate" Abraham Lincoln

Posts: 1626 | Location: Montana Territory | Registered: 27 March 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Don't know if a "right way" is documented but I would say 2 - 3 feet, butt first onto something hardish (but not concrete) - ie enough of a jolt to drop sears or hammers or disengage a safety if it is faulty.

Make sure you keep the barrels between loose clenched fingers.

That's my view only.

Edit - tinker reminded me - do the drop test so the butt hits WOOD
- His idea of a stairs etc is good.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Have the locks off, see with your eyes (magnify if necessary) the notches on those tumblers, examine the tips of those sears.
Over time through use and abuse, cracks can develop, crap can accumulate -- that little stirrup might be missing a side (or whatever...)

The drop test might do ya' at home or in the shop but may as well fail you in the woods later on if the parts aren't tip-top and/or good for the job.

A softwood stump is a good landing spot for your drop test, some extra carpet on a stair nose, get creative. The big concern there is that you don't screw your nice rifle up making sure it's good to go.

Cheers
Tinker

Posts: 802 | Location: Palomino Valley, NV | Registered: 26 April 2005Reply With Quote