Find
Notify
Tools

Beavertail foreend
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Dave Bush
posted
While I might be wrong, I think that I have heard Mac mention several times that he does not care for a beavertail foreend. How does everyone feel about a beavertail foreend? Are you considerations purely aesthetic or are there any genuine advantages or disadvantages to a beavertail foreend on a double rifle?

Dave

Dave
DRSS
Chapuis 9.3X74
Chapuis "Jungle" .375 FL
Krieghoff 500/.416 NE
Krieghoff 500 NE

"Git as close as y can laddie an then git ten yards closer"

"If the biggest, baddest animals on the planet are on the menu, and you'd rather pay a taxidermist than a mortician, consider the 500 NE as the last word in life insurance." Hornady Handbook of Cartridge Reloading (8th Edition).

Posts: 3728 | Location: Midwest | Registered: 26 November 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 577NitroExpress
posted Hide Post
First, I do not like the look of a beavertail foreend.

Second, I like the slimmer foreends as I can grasp more of the barrels when shooting. That's a personal preference.

577NitroExpress
Double Rifle Shooters Society
Francotte .470 Nitro Express

If stupidity hurt, a lot of people would be walking around screaming...

Posts: 2789 | Location: Bucks County, Pennsylvania | Registered: 08 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
On the other hand, as for me, I personally like the beavertail forearms. I think I get a better grib on the forearm with the beavertail and typically wrap my fingers around and onto the barrel. I think it has alot more to do with personal preference than anything else. Although there will be those that argue that a beavertail forearm invites you to hold the forearm and not the barrels and in recoil that puts a stress on the forearm and will loosen it over time. Again, I wrap my fingers around the forearm and onto the barrel anyway so that is not a concern I share.

Mike

Posts: 21719 | Registered: 03 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
I agree with both 577, and Mike on two different levels!

The Beavertail forend is one of the ugliest fixtures ever placed on a double-barreled shotgun or rifle! That however is a personal dislike for the looks of it, nothing more. I also agree with Mike, as long as he holds the barrels as well as the forend, then no damage will be done to the rifle, only to Mike Taste in double rifles! Big Grin

The most practical reason is, the Beavertails that I have seen negate wrapping the fingers all the way around, and grasping the barrels. The simi-beavertail may allow this, however. Without being able to grasp the barrels with the fingers, too much strain is applied to the forearm in a heavy recoiling rifle, and the lug, that the forearm attaches to, is only soft soldered in place,in most case, and over a short time, can be pulled off the bottom rib, rendering the rifle out of service till it can be fixed. The forearm plays an important role in the operation of a double rifle. It houses the ejector springs,and hammers or works the extractors on opening, and also cocks the rifle on opening. This is a critical part of any double rifle, and must be maintained as tight as is possible to avoid a glitch at the wrong time! Eeker

The Beaver tail was placed on competition shotguns where hundreds of rounds were fired in short order heating the very thin shotgun barrels so much that competitors were burning their fingers on the barrels. This was never applied on double rifles till American customers started ordering them that way. They are not needed on a double rifle, because the first shot with a double rifle is always from a cool barrel, and the second is only warm, with the third, and fourth being cool enough to hold in your hands. SO! On a double rifle it is not only ugly, but also unnecessary.

If the Beavertail forend is your bag, then buy it that way, it's your money, and who am I, anyone else to tell you how to spend your money. That is your choice, but what I will tell you the reasons things are the way they are, then you can make an informed choice, that may not change, but at least you have both sides, of the answers you get! beer

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 577NitroExpress
posted Hide Post
Mac, as always, you are a wealth of knowledge!

Just to clarify my post, the reason I like the slimmer foreend is that I PERSONALLY feel that I have a better/firmer hold on the rifle when it is fired. I do not think my hands are that big, so that might be a reason. But for me, I like a good amount of grip on the barrels when shooting DRs.

Again, just personal preference!

577NitroExpress
Double Rifle Shooters Society
Francotte .470 Nitro Express

If stupidity hurt, a lot of people would be walking around screaming...

Posts: 2789 | Location: Bucks County, Pennsylvania | Registered: 08 June 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I abhor the beavertail forend, it serves no usefull purpose unless your shooting hot barrels on birds in Argentina or Mexico, even then I want two shotguns...I can wrap my hand around the splinter forend and the barrels, that will give me all the control I need......and my gun will be prettier than eurine.. rotflmo

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 42176 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Will
posted Hide Post
Not that it would prevent it, but a beavertail forend would help from burning your hand under hot and heavy shooting. Try it sometime!

-------------------------------
Will Stewart / Once you've been amongst them, there is no such thing as too much gun.
---------------------------------------
and, God Bless John Wayne.

NRA Benefactor Member, GOA, N.A.G.R.

"Elephant and Elephant Guns" $99 shipped
“Hunting Africa's Dangerous Game" $20 shipped.

red.dirt.elephant@gmail.com

Hoping to wind up where elephant hunters go.

Posts: 19369 | Location: Ocala Flats | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I like the beavertail forearm, it fills my hand very nicely, and I think it looks good.

Also when carrying your double with the rifle perched on your right shoulder, or left for that matter, there is a wider piece of wood supporting the weight of the rifle and it doesn't dig into your shoulder. AKA it FEELS BETTER. Smiler

Carry a double all day in that position and see what I mean. Especially when the DR rifle wieghs 10.5 to 12 lbs.

The Hunters Hut
Firearms Sales & Service PAHunter/ The Head Hunter
DRSS,NRA,SCI,NAHC
www.huntershut1.com

Posts: 1015 | Location: PA | Registered: 08 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have both and like them both.

BUTCH

C'est Tout Bon
(It is all good)

Posts: 1929 | Location: Lafayette, LA | Registered: 05 October 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I can't stand them. My hands are on the small side, so I can't get a proper grip with the forehand. Burning your hands with a double rifle is a non issue. I've had my double shotgun barrels so hot they would be painfull to touch, solved by a shooting glove or heat shield. The soldered fore-end fastener, particulary on a dangerous game rifle worries me. Oh, I almost forgot, they are ugly as, well we won't go there.

Dave

Posts: 2086 | Location: Seattle Washington, USA | Registered: 19 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
This is good stuff. I grew up shooting double shotguns...and the barrels got damn HOT!!! When I purchased my first DR, it had a semi-bevertail and I was afraid to wrap my fingers around the barrels, resulting with a terrible grip on the forearm. It sounds like a splinter would be the way to go for me...I have small hands as well.
Mac...great insight...Thanks!!!

Stephen Grant 500BPE
Joseph Harkom 450BPE

Posts: 625 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: 21 October 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I like them probably because I shoot 500 rounds of olympic trap every week and really feel akward with the small forends... it just feels wrong to me!!!

As far as looks, I also like them!! Being new to doubles I feel as I am misbehaving amongst the grown ups...rss..I feel I am as wrong in respect to looks as the small forends feel wrong to me when I shoot!!! Go figure...

Posts: 54 | Location: Sao Paulo, Brazil | Registered: 08 October 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Don't like the looks of beavertails as much, but love the function! In particular, I have a tendency not to follow through on a swing, and the added weight seems to help me swing better, whether it be on a shotgun or on a rifle, particularly with shorter barrels. I'm sure it is all in my head, but that's the way it is for me anyhow.

Rick

DRSS

Posts: 709 | Location: Gulf coast SW Fla. USA | Registered: 21 December 2006Reply With Quote