The Searcy and Me
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of scutulatus
posted
Out checkin' the water hole in the backyard.hahahha

470NE Searcy
9.3X74r Johann Springer

Posts: 130 | Location: oro valley AZ | Registered: 18 December 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
TR never looked so good. tu2

Mike

Posts: 21385 | Registered: 03 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of mt Al
posted Hide Post
Ready for a javelina or house cat charge! You can't be too safe.

Posts: 1067 | Location: Bozeman, MT | Registered: 21 October 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Awesome!

Posts: 20139 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Nice boots.

Posts: 17179 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
All dressed up and no place to go............
jumping

Posts: 4214 | Location: Southern Colorado | Registered: 09 October 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ozhunter
posted Hide Post
tu2

Posts: 5886 | Location: Sydney,Australia  | Registered: 03 July 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Dashing example of the proper backyard checking kit.

One of Us
Picture of Grenadier
posted Hide Post
Right out of Jumanji!

I too like the boots. Please tell us about them.

Posts: 10900 | Location: North of the Columbia | Registered: 28 April 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of cal pappas
posted Hide Post
A serious question--tell me about the boots.
Cal

Cal Pappas, Willow, Alaska
www.CalPappas.com
www.CalPappas.blogspot.com
1994 Zimbabwe
1997 Zimbabwe
1998 Zimbabwe
1999 Zimbabwe
1999 Namibia, Botswana, Zambia--vacation
2000 Australia
2002 South Africa
2003 South Africa
2003 Zimbabwe
2005 South Africa
2005 Zimbabwe
2006 Tanzania
2006 Zimbabwe--vacation
2007 Zimbabwe--vacation
2008 Zimbabwe
2012 Australia
2013 South Africa
2013 Zimbabwe
2013 Australia
2016 Zimbabwe
2017 Zimbabwe
2018 South Africa
2018 Zimbabwe--vacation
2019 South Africa
2019 Botswana
2019 Zimbabwe vacation
2021 South Africa
2021 South Africa (2nd hunt a month later)

Posts: 7281 | Location: Willow, Alaska | Registered: 29 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Absolutely awsome

Posts: 373 | Location: British Columbia | Registered: 13 April 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ready to shoot the neighbours dog [which wont stop bloody barking ]please go ahead !!!!!!!!

Posts: 625 | Location: Australia | Registered: 07 April 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
That rifle looks as if it has not fired a round or been through anything.

Posts: 11651 | Location: Montreal | Registered: 07 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Those boots are cool. I don't know what you're doing but by golly you look good doin' it!!! I just love retro stuff!

DRSS: E. M. Reilley 500 BPE
E. Goldmann in Erfurt, 11.15 X 60R

Those who fail to study history are condemned to repeat it

Posts: 502 | Location: In The Sticks, Missouri  | Registered: 02 February 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of scutulatus
posted Hide Post
We are "all dressed up" for a big bore shoot in Phoenix tomorrow. Paper lions, buff on a grocery cart, pop up elephants et all. hahahah The boots came off the US Ebay, made for a guy many years ago, had em soled and heeled and put some insoles. B's boots below are Wolverine.

Yea, Shootandweigh this is my new Searcy Ya said was stocked wrong and some other drivel. It has had 240 rounds thru it in the last month, load work and getting used to double triggers ect. It has only been used for shootin'.

Begs the question, for another post. How many of us buy a double just to have one, not a collector piece a shooter? I now have 2. They will be shot regularly not on a range, just out in the Veld. My index of suspicion is there are many of us old hunters (my first big game in 1963) who now have the funds for one but not the health or desire to "take them somewhere", whatever others definition of "somewhere" may be.

470NE Searcy
9.3X74r Johann Springer

Posts: 130 | Location: oro valley AZ | Registered: 18 December 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
That's a good question scut. I have two also. One sees use every year and the other has become more of a safe queen...mostly because I prefer one over the other. My preference of the two is the German double in 43 Mauser. It also sees an occasional safari thru my Ozark woods for a 'rock killin'. My 'veld' is out the back door during deer season or for the occasional hog.

I assume that's Momma....she looks sharp too!!! Cool stuff!

DRSS: E. M. Reilley 500 BPE
E. Goldmann in Erfurt, 11.15 X 60R

Those who fail to study history are condemned to repeat it

Posts: 502 | Location: In The Sticks, Missouri  | Registered: 02 February 2014Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of bwanamrm
posted Hide Post
Oh my! Makes my safari duds look quite tired in comparison!

On the plains of hesitation lie the bleached bones of ten thousand, who on the dawn of victory lay down their weary heads resting, and there resting, died.

If you can talk with crowds and keep your virtue,
Or walk with Kings - nor lose the common touch...
Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it,
And - which is more - you'll be a Man, my son!
- Rudyard Kipling

Life grows grim without senseless indulgence.

Posts: 7541 | Location: Victoria, Texas | Registered: 30 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
240 rds in one month-I wish I could do that.

Posts: 11651 | Location: Montreal | Registered: 07 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of scutulatus
posted Hide Post
I have a place on BLM land close ta home and I shoot there couple a times a week. I reload on the off days hahaha

470NE Searcy
9.3X74r Johann Springer

one of us
posted Hide Post
I was thinking about how much recoil I can tolerate before the headaches and what else.I have been in the rink with my Lotts too many times.

One of Us
Picture of scutulatus
posted Hide Post
I have been workin' on the "light" loads Butch recommended as well as the full patch. Some from the standing rest with a sissy pad but most walk, mount, shoot stuff. Nice to have a outdoor area with a good close mountain backdrop to practice my walk and shoot.

470NE Searcy
9.3X74r Johann Springer

One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
quote:
My index of suspicion is there are many of us old hunters (my first big game in 1963) who now have the funds for one but not the health

My problem is exactly the opposite; perfect health, imperfect resources to use all these double rifles I have, for the purpose for which I got them. No, I can't part with any to pay for hunts so don't go there.

Posts: 17179 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bill73
posted Hide Post
Holy cow GungaDin,I would so enjoy going on safari with you & the dear lady,you got style my man,bloody awesome you made my day beer

DRSS

Posts: 2277 | Location: MI | Registered: 20 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You and your lovely wife, get my vote for best dressed couple on AR!!

You and Will must have the same tailor...

Rich
:>Wink

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
Scutulatus,

You are definitely ready for the Vintagers Cup Side-by-Side Championships. I need to make it a point to try to make the Vintagers this year.

http://vintagers.org/

Mike

One of Us
Picture of cal pappas
posted Hide Post
Scutulatus:
Great pics of you and your lady. I love the look and would vote for you two for President and VP. You could modify the elephant symbol and change the party to the elephant hunting party!
Now, again, tell me of the boots. I love them and would like to buy a pair.
Cal

Cal Pappas, Willow, Alaska
www.CalPappas.com
www.CalPappas.blogspot.com
1994 Zimbabwe
1997 Zimbabwe
1998 Zimbabwe
1999 Zimbabwe
1999 Namibia, Botswana, Zambia--vacation
2000 Australia
2002 South Africa
2003 South Africa
2003 Zimbabwe
2005 South Africa
2005 Zimbabwe
2006 Tanzania
2006 Zimbabwe--vacation
2007 Zimbabwe--vacation
2008 Zimbabwe
2012 Australia
2013 South Africa
2013 Zimbabwe
2013 Australia
2016 Zimbabwe
2017 Zimbabwe
2018 South Africa
2018 Zimbabwe--vacation
2019 South Africa
2019 Botswana
2019 Zimbabwe vacation
2021 South Africa
2021 South Africa (2nd hunt a month later)

Posts: 7281 | Location: Willow, Alaska | Registered: 29 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Cal, if you use those boots on a hunt, by the time you get them laced up, it's almost time for lunch! :-)

Posts: 20139 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Great job Scutulatus
Your living the dream !!

DRSS Chapuis 9.3 x 74 R
RSM. 416 Rigby
RSM 375 H&H

Posts: 1299 | Location: Catskill Mountains N.Y. | Registered: 13 September 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Nice 470 ! coloured cased too MMMMM looks more like a 500 !

Posts: 625 | Location: Australia | Registered: 07 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Cal I believe if you get out your Googler and Google up Full Lace Riding Boots you will find what you are looking for. If you want something for your neck of the woods check out Schnee's 16" pack boots...

Posts: 1615 | Location: Vermont | Registered: 27 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
Looking good! tu2

One of Us
posted Hide Post
It's as if the comment "the gun hasn't had a round through it" was directed at me.
I received my 470 Searcy Classic in 2011 and due to medical problems, have never fired a single shot. It took almost a year to be completed, and in anticipation of its arrival, I even bought a full complement of items for reloading.
I tried to convince my boys to use it but they have no interest.

Bob Nisbet
DRSS & 348 Lever Winchester Lover
Temporarily Displaced Texan
If there's no food on your plate when dinner is done, you didn't get enough to eat.

Posts: 830 | Location: Texas and Alabama | Registered: 07 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of D R Hunter
posted Hide Post
Love the photos!!!!! Thank you for sharing them! wave

D/R Hunter

Correct bullet placement, combined with the required depth of bullet penetration, results in an anchored animal...

Posts: 997 | Location: Florida - A Little North of Tampa  | Registered: 07 August 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bill73
posted Hide Post
With those boots,there would be no need for gaiters,anybody know of any boots like that in which you can walk for a few miles without loosing yer feet?

DRSS

Posts: 2277 | Location: MI | Registered: 20 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
Look similar to White's Packers. I have never owned a pair of White's but people that have swear they are the most comfortable boots they own.

Mike

One of Us
Picture of scutulatus
posted Hide Post
Bob

For anyone to say "I know how you feel" is always a load of crap!. All I can say is "The world was made round so we can not see too far dawn the road.

470NE Searcy
9.3X74r Johann Springer

One of Us
Picture of scutulatus
posted Hide Post
For those interested--
I doubt there are any period lace up boots that we today would consider comfortable for field use, most modern lace ups are made for loggers and pole climbing and are way heavy and $$$$$. Mine were supposedly custom made years ago, I bought used of Ebay. What Price Glory has lace up identical to mine and another style of cavalry that have had good reviews. They also have WWI uniform stuff that is well made, not costume grade, fits the bill for the TR or Out O Africa look.

470NE Searcy
9.3X74r Johann Springer

One of Us
Picture of jorge
posted Hide Post
How about your cartridge belt, please?

USN (ret)
DRSS Verney-Carron 450NE
Cogswell & Harrison 375 Fl NE
Sabatti Big Five 375 FL Magnum NE
DSC Life Member
NRA Life Member

Posts: 7145 | Location: Orange Park, Florida. USA | Registered: 22 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of scutulatus
posted Hide Post
Here is his info on the cartridge belts and slides

Hello Everybody,
I am the guy that makes the slides, drops and belts of cotton web. sorry for the delay in getting back to some of you, but had all of the grand sons together for a firewood cutting day, and was out of the shop ----
Any way thanks for all of the good comments on my work !!
My contact email is tommymaker@yahoo.com . Please be patient if you don't get a reply right away---I am a one man shop, and sometimes life gets in the way of email.
As to ebay, I also don't like them much, but can't seem to get shooting folks to get my stuff from gun broker. Been trying to get a web-site up but am not all that savy about the tech stuff.
Any way, thanks for all of the kind words !
Tommymaker

470NE Searcy
9.3X74r Johann Springer

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Those web cartridge holders have all the characteristics I like to see in a cartridge holder. Very similar to my WR culling belt except for the number of rounds.

465H&H

Posts: 5686 | Location: Nampa, Idaho | Registered: 10 February 2005Reply With Quote