Find
Notify
Tools

450/400 3" dies
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Antlers
posted
All my dies for other calibers are Redding, except one RCBS set. Don't really like the RCBS - was considering the Hornady. Anyone using their dies? Opinions?

Antlers
Double Rifle Shooters Society
Heym 450/400 3"

Posts: 1990 | Location: AL | Registered: 13 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
Mine are RCBS and they work great. The only dies that I have consistently had problems with are the CH4D dies. I have a set of .470 NE and 10.75x68 CH4D dies and both are . . . well, not RCBS.

Mike

Posts: 21241 | Registered: 03 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I'd pick RCBS over Hornady anytime ...... the only dies I've ever had problems with are Hornady, & Lee, but they're mostly cheap junk anyway.

.470 & 9.3X74R Chapuis'
Tikka O/U 9.3X74R
Searcy Classics 450/.400 3" & .577
C&H .375 2 1/2"
Krieghoff .500 NE
Member Dallas Safari Club

Posts: 1584 | Location: Eleanor, West Virginia (USA) | Registered: 20 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
I have RCBS. I am having a set of Lee collet dies made for my 450/400 and my 404 Jeffery. BobC has a set of Hornady dies for his 450/400 and they do a great job.

Acually, anything is better than CH4D!

Rusty
We Band of Brothers!
DRSS, NRA & SCI Life Member

"I am rejoiced at my fate. Do not be uneasy about me, for I am with my friends."
----- David Crockett in his last letter (to his children), January 9th, 1836
"I will never forsake Texas and her cause. I am her son." ----- Jose Antonio Navarro, from Mexican Prison in 1841
"for I have sworn upon the altar of god eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man." Thomas Jefferson
Declaration of Arbroath April 6, 1320-“. . .It is not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself.”

Posts: 9797 | Location: Missouri City, Texas | Registered: 21 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Frank Beller:
I'd pick RCBS over Hornady anytime /QUOTE]

Ditto's Frank, never had a problem with RCBS dies in over 30 years and they're customer service is top of the line.

Dirk

"An individual with experience is never at the mercies of an individual with an argument"

Posts: 1827 | Location: Palmer AK & Prescott Valley AZ | Registered: 01 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
As Rusty said, my Hornady 450-400 dies have worked perfectly. They were custom dies before they became a stock item. Price has gone way down now that they are in the catalog, I believe. I used some rcbs dies on loan before the custom dies arrive, and I can tell not difference. Bob

Posts: 1283 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: 20 October 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of zimbabwe
posted Hide Post
My Hornady 450/400 dies are as well made as any die I have ever used and perform as well as all my RCBS ones. The price was more than reasonable and delivery was immediate.

SCI Life Member
NRA Patron Life Member
DRSS

Posts: 2786 | Location: Green Valley,Az | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Antlers
posted Hide Post
Thanks everyone!

Antlers
Double Rifle Shooters Society
Heym 450/400 3"

Posts: 1990 | Location: AL | Registered: 13 February 2002Reply With Quote