Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Leupold for the Merkel ?
 Login/Join

posted
Hi boys thinking of putting a QD scope on my MERKEL. Has anyone tried a LEUPOLD VXHOG 1-4x20 matte pigplex?. MERKEL is a 140E side-by-side.

one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
Welcome here on AR nq9.3! beer

I also own a 140E-1 Merkel 9.3X74R double rifle, and it is a joy to carry and shoot! I have a 1-4 Trijicon scope (that was donated to me by a very good friend) that I am taking up to J.J. at Champlin’s in Enid Oklahoma for him to mount on it in QD rings and bases. The scope you are looking at is a quality scope, and the right power spread for double rifle use!

This is a perfect rifle for both scope and quality iron sights. There are many double rifle owners who think a scope has no place on a S/S double rifle! I totally disagree!

The glass sight is simply nothing more that a better sighting instrument no matter what type of rifle it is mounted on! The only difference is on the S/S double the primary sighting system is, and always will be the irons, while the scope is a specialty system. Scopes have been offered as an option on double rifles as long as they have been available by the very top makers in England, Scotland, and Europe!

The main place where the S/S double rifle pays its way is with its fast one, two punch that can be delivered instinctively, without even actually seeing the sights. That is accomplished by the rifle fitting its owner! The scope on the other hand is needed for times when conditions call for a precise shooting, where the course irons are a draw-back and where a bullet must be threaded through a hole in the bush without hitting an unseen branch that will deflect the bullet and cause a wounded animal that will require a very dangerous follow-up, or the loss of an animal to suffer a long lingering death, or to place a shot precisely under poor light condition. In the last case an illuminated reticle is a real plus, like leopard or lion on bait!

For me personally, because I have developed macular degeneration in my right eye, and must use a 1 power scope so I can shoot with both eyes open letting the binocular effect make the illuminated crosshairs apex, which I can still see, float in my vision for fast close in work! That is a must for me but is simply a very good idea for even those with unimpaired vision.

The 9.3X74R S/S double rifle is one of the best medium chamberings one can ask for for a general hunting double rifle for just about anything most countries have on their list, and is useful right to the big boys in most countries especially in North America and Europe, along with most of the so-called plains game and cats in Africa.
.................................................................... old

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
THanks for the welcome MacD37, i have been sitting on the sidelines soaking up as much info as i could for a wile. You have a very good friend to give you such a scope. I have also been looking at some different types of reflex sites ??? Do not know much about them yet and have not seen one in the flesh yet.They seam good for quick shooting??? if yourself or anybody else has any info/experience with them it would be great to here about it. Thanks.

one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by nq9.3:
THanks for the welcome MacD37, i have been sitting on the sidelines soaking up as much info as i could for a wile. You have a very good friend to give you such a scope. I have also been looking at some different types of reflex sites ??? Do not know much about them yet and have not seen one in the flesh yet.They seam good for quick shooting??? if yourself or anybody else has any info/experience with them it would be great to here about it. Thanks.

...DOCTER OPTIC! tu2

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have used a number of reflex sights and find them very useful. My experience is limited to the Doctor, Trijicon and Meopta, all three worked well, & all have advantages & some disadvantages (in my mind) over other brands. Before picking a brand you need to think of a QD mounting system. Some of systems I like much better than others and not all are interchangeable with all brands of reflex sights. You can also get mounting plates for the reflex to fit the German pivot scope mounts so you have the option of a scope & reflex.
As a general rule I like the German made mounting plates better, they sit lower and look more like they would fit on a sporting rifle than the US made versions that look big and made more for the tactical market.
What ever you do be sure it is QD.
If you get confused or over whelmed with options feel free to get in touch.

Ken

DRSS, PP Chapter
Life NRA
Life SCI
Life DSC

Posts: 1329 | Location: PA | Registered: 06 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Yes, I have a vx-1 1-4 HOG on a 9.3; great scope for the money and plenty good enough for the distances. I also have a vx1 1-4, not HOG, on my Baikal 06; works great.

Posts: 17291 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the info boys, it is great.will now see what looks and feels better out of the two when shooting. And yes it will be QD. Might even go with both systems for deer at longer range and boar in the thick stuff. Yes and if i get a bit lost i shall be in touch.