New
Find
Notify
Tools

rem.45-70 jackscrew
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
my buddy just bought a rem 45-70 which i have not seen yet. i asked him abought the adjustment screw and he seemed kind of clueless. can you tell me where its located .thanks

one of us
Picture of Hog Killer
posted Hide Post
Through the bottom rib, and ahead of the fore arm.

Keith

IGNORE YOUR RIGHTS AND THEY'LL GO AWAY!!!
------------------------------------
We Band of Bubbas & STC Hunting Club, The Whomper Club

Posts: 4553 | Location: Walker Co.,Texas | Registered: 05 September 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
hog killer is it out in the open where you can see it.thanks

One of Us
Picture of jimatcat
posted Hide Post
there is a slot on the bottom side of the sheet metal barrel spacer... you can see the wheel (screw) thru this slot... i took the front sling svivel off and removed the barrel spacer when we regulated mine... it took about 2 whole turns to get 'er done....i used a pair of pliers to turn mine...

go big or go home ........

DSC-- Life Member
NRA--Life member
DRSS--9.3x74 r Chapuis

Posts: 2842 | Location: dividing my time between san angelo and victoria texas.......... USA | Registered: 26 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
jimatcat thanks

posted Hide Post
Since there is no mention of this device in the op manual and it is not general knowledge I thought I might help by adding my history with it. My rifle shot 16 in apart at 25 yds. L bbl shot 8 in left and the rt bbl shot 8 in rt. I moved the corrugated surface of the screw back towards the butt of the rifle about 2 full turns which bowed the bbls apart in the middle(I measured it) and this pulled the shots together to point of aim. I have a suspicion this is dependant on the velocity/weight of the projectile but moving toward the butt bows the bbl and moves the point of impact together.

posted Hide Post
The jackscrew wheel has holes every 1/4 of a circumfereence so a small allen wrench will just fir into this hole to turn and was very easy . I'm shooting 40 gr of 3031 behind a 350 half jacket hollow point, which is a relatively light load.
mike

One of Us
posted Hide Post
pmike, the manual for the Baikal SxS .30-06 that I recently owned did contain directions for use of the jackscrew adjuster. This was not the Remington-branded version of the gun, but rather the original Russian brand.

It sounds like you have it figured out, as it is a fairly simple procedure. However, if you want the correct op manual, try to get one direct from Baikal.

My .30-06 took about ten rounds and not many more minutes to start producing overlapping 2-inch groups from each barrel, for a combined group size of about 3 inches. Enjoy your toy!

John

Posts: 1028 | Location: Manitoba, Canada | Registered: 01 December 2007Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Thx for the input JWM. What load were you/are you using? I haven't even begun to shoot full power loads from mine, just the thought scares the pants off me. Some of my loads, 350 gr jrn w/ 50 gr 3031 have a recoil factor of about 35 ft lbs. this is not anywhere near a full load but is just about where my idea of pleasant stops. Normal 30-06 rifles/loads have a recoil factor of about 20 ft lbs to give some idea.
thx,
mike penn

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sorry for the delay in replying, Mike, but I don't go into this forum very often. My gun was a .30-06, so the info is useless to you, but I was using some older Winchester 180gr factory loads of which I had several boxes lying around. The barrels were easy to re-regulate for different loads, and I have changed the setting at least 8 or 9 times since, to use different loads. Heavier bullet weights (180 or 200gr) print smaller groups than lighter stuff. Vertical dispersion is never more than about 2 inches and sometimes much less.

Good luck with your .45-70. I suspect that I will snap up the first one that makes its way up here to my corner of Canuckistan.

John

Posts: 1028 | Location: Manitoba, Canada | Registered: 01 December 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I started out shooting Remington factory 405's. Not much of a boot, more of a soft shove. I have rolled some of my own 350's that are a bit hotter, but have to wait for the snow to disappear to get to the range to see how it goes. Mine has been a blast, and was easy to regulate to about a 2 inch group at 50. Enjoy!
Rick

DRSS

Posts: 709 | Location: Gulf coast SW Fla. USA | Registered: 21 December 2006Reply With Quote