THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM DOUBLE RIFLES FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Double Rifles    Answer to an old thread on double discharge
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Answer to an old thread on double discharge
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted
quote:
Originally posted by MacD37:
quote:
Originally posted by Peter:
So, for us peons, how would a rifle double when pressing the rear trigger first?
Peter.

That is a fair question, but one I thought I had already answered!

Normally the front trigger is filed to a lighter pull than the back trigger, and for a rifle without intercepting sears,(like the Merkels) that stops the tumblers from going off from the recoil of the other barrel, the lighter the off side trigger pull the more likely it will be dislodged by the recoil of the other barrel. This is the case with Merkel double rifle in my experience the front trigger is always much lighter pull than the back trigger. IMO, that is the way they should be, the light trigger pull on the first barrel fired is so one can make a better placed first shot. this is the same reason the smaller double rifle are normally fitted with a set trigger on the right (FRONT) trigger for a better accurate first shot.

The Merkel double rifle is not normally fitted with interceptors, so a “mechanical” doubling can occur from the recoil of the left barrel, disengaging the very light sear engagement of the right barrel. The doubling of the left barrel when pulling the right trigger first is usually caused by what is known a “STRUMMING” with the trigger finger slipping off the front trigger, and contacting the back trigger setting it off as well. This is the result of poor shooter control.

SO!!!! If you want to fire the back trigger first on a double rifle, then the trigger pull on the front trigger needs to be heavy enough to avoid the mechanical doubling!

Additionally, if proper trigger control is maintained there is no need to fire the back trigger first, unless you simply like it that way. If you like it that way then have a smith make the trigger pull on the right barrel heavier, or suffer doubling!

………………………….BOOM ........................................ holycow

There was a discussion back in 2011 about double discharge and at that time I was posting about a 470NE Merkel double rifle that others had doubled that 470NE Merkel when they pulled the back trigger first. The two passages above the first one from that old thread, and the next was the answer found on NE with pictures of a inertia sear block actuated by the recoil of the right barrel, for the left barrel, because Merkel made the rifle to be fired with the front trigger first (right barrel) which is cut for lighter pull for precision shot placement with the first shot. This also so the left barrels trigger can be lighter pull as well but not be tripped by the recoil of the right barrel being fired. Now we have the answer below over a year later. The reason this was a mystery was so puzzeling was others had DDs with my rifle but I didn't when I pulled the back trigger first. In my case I seemed to have the touch, but others didn't it seems. Neither of use had DDs when the right trigger was pulled first. Confused bewildered Answer below!

quote:
By DUBOY1:from NE (MacD37 on AR)

This explains something that has puzzled me for some time about my Merkel 140-2, 470NE double rifle. I’ve had three people accidently double that rifle by pulling the back trigger first, and everyone says this is a malfunction.

Like you found the makers say the rifle was designed to fire the front trigger first. The right trigger has a slightly lighter trigger pull than the back trigger. Now I know why the maker says this. It is because of the inertia trigger block on the left trigger (an interseptor). That allows the right trigger to be lighter without being a “SET “ trigger on the big bores for pin point accuracy.

The strange thing is, I often fire the back trigger first to select a solid that is almost always loaded in that barrel, with a soft point in the right barrel. I have never had a double discharge on this rifle myself in ten years.

This is the way I load this rifle when leaving the hunting car. My reason for this is, I want a soft for the first shot on anything but elephant, and the second shot to be a solid for a possible going away shot.

Thank you for the pictures!

................................................................................................... old

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Peter:
So, for us peons, how would a rifle double when pressing the rear trigger first?
Peter.

That is a fair question, but one I thought I had already answered!

Normally the front trigger is filed to a lighter pull than the back trigger, and for a rifle without intercepting sears,(like the Merkels) that stops the tumblers from going off from the recoil of the other barrel, the lighter the off side trigger pull the more likely it will be dislodged by the recoil of the other barrel. This is the case with Merkel double rifle in my experience the front trigger is always much lighter pull than the back trigger. IMO, that is the way they should be, the light trigger pull on the first barrel fired is so one can make a better placed first shot. this is the same reason the smaller double rifle are normally fitted with a set trigger on the right (FRONT) trigger for a better accurate first shot.

The Merkel double rifle is not normally fitted with interceptors, so a “mechanical” doubling can occur from the recoil of the left barrel, disengaging the very light sear engagement of the right barrel. The doubling of the left barrel when pulling the right trigger first is usually caused by what is known a “STRUMMING” with the trigger finger slipping off the front trigger, and contacting the back trigger setting it off as well. This is the result of poor shooter control.

SO!!!! If you want to fire the back trigger first on a double rifle, then the trigger pull on the front trigger needs to be heavy enough to avoid the mechanical doubling!

Additionally, if proper trigger control is maintained there is no need to fire the back trigger first, unless you simply like it that way. If you like it that way then have a smith make the trigger pull on the right barrel heavier, or suffer doubling!

………………………….BOOM ........................................ holycow

There was a discussion back in 2011 about double discharge and at that time I was posting about a 470NE Merkel double rifle that others had doubled that 470NE Merkel when they pulled the back trigger first. The two passages above the first one from that old thread, and the next was the answer found on NE with pictures of a inertia sear block actuated by the recoil of the right barrel, for the left barrel, because Merkel made the rifle to be fired with the front trigger first (right barrel) which is cut for lighter pull for precision shot placement with the first shot. This also so the left barrels trigger can be lighter pull as well but not be tripped by the recoil of the right barrel being fired. Now we have the answer below over a year later. The reason this was a mystery was so puzzeling was others had DDs with my rifle but I didn't when I pulled the back trigger first. In my case I seemed to have the touch, but others didn't it seems. Neither of use had DDs when the right trigger was pulled first. Confused bewildered Answer below!

quote:
By DUBOY1:from NE (MacD37 on AR)

This explains something that has puzzled me for some time about my Merkel 140-2, 470NE double rifle. I’ve had three people accidently double that rifle by pulling the back trigger first, and everyone says this is a malfunction, and claims this cant happen on a double rifle that is not defective. The rifle is not defective just designed to fire the right barrel first. When firing front trigger first the left trigger/sear are blocked by the inertia opperated interceptor. The real fix would be to install this on both barrels.

Like you found the makers say the rifle was designed to fire the front trigger first. The right trigger has a slightly lighter trigger pull than the back trigger. Now I know why the maker says this. It is because of the inertia trigger block on the left trigger (an interseptor). That allows the right trigger to be lighter without being a “SET “ trigger on the big bores for pin point accuracy.However this sometimes causes the light trigger pull on the front trigger be set off by the recoil frm the left barrel being fired first.

The strange thing is, I often fire the back trigger first to select a solid that is almost always loaded in that barrel, with a soft point in the right barrel. I have never had a double discharge on this rifle myself in ten years.

This is the way I load this rifle when leaving the hunting car. My reason for this is, I want a soft for the first shot on anything but elephant, and the second shot to be a solid for a possible going away shot.

Thank you for the pictures!

................................................................................................... old

DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
I have an upgraded wood 2006 model shoe-lump Merkel 140-2 .500 NE. I have shot it quite a lot now. I doubled it once by strumming the left trigger with an improper hold...my fault. It has never doubled any other time. I pull the left trigger first occasionally...no problems. The rifle is accurate...shoots CEB's well and I like it a lot.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
J. Lane Easter, DVM

A born Texan has instilled in his system a mind-set of no retreat or no surrender. I wish everyone the world over had the dominating spirit that motivates Texans.– Billy Clayton, Speaker of the Texas House

No state commands such fierce pride and loyalty. Lesser mortals are pitied for their misfortune in not being born in Texas.— Queen Elizabeth II on her visit to Texas in May, 1991.

Posts: 37892 | Location: Gainesville, TX | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of BigB
posted Hide Post
Mac,

I never had a double with your rifle when I had it and had about 8 different people that shot it. As I recall I never used the rear trigger first as when hunting I always used the Federal solids in both barrels. I would always shoot the front trigger first.

bigB

Posts: 1401 | Location: Northwest Wyoming | Registered: 13 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
As I recall, I spoke with Herbert regarding the Merkels that had been returned due to doubling with the old style block system, and all of them had trigger jobs that had made them susceptible to doubling.

I've shot alot of Merkel double rifles, and never had one yet to double discharge. However, I've seen it done, and in every case it was from strumming.

If you have a Merkel that you believe is doubling without fault of your own, contact either Einar or Danny at 205-655-8299, and if the gun was imported by GSI,Merkel USA, HK, or Steyr Arms, they will make sure the issue is fixed.

Everyone here is making this issue out to be much bigger than it is. You've got a company that will stand behind its product, fix any issue you have at no cost, and has a certified gunsmith right here in country. Damn, what more do you need.

JP Sauer Drilling 12x12x9.3x72
David Murray Scottish Hammer 12 Bore
Alex Henry 500/450 Double Rifle
Steyr Classic Mannlicher Fullstock 6.5x55
Steyr Classic Mannlicher Fullstock .30-06
Walther PPQ H2 9mm
Walther PPS M2
Cogswell & Harrison Hammer 12 Bore Damascus
And Too Many More

Posts: 1857 | Location: Chattanooga, TN | Registered: 10 August 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
I've had no problem with either of my Merkels and I've owned one bought new a little over twelve years ago, and another bought from bigB about ten years ago, and I doubled by strumming the 140E 9.3X74R the first day I took it to the range, because I wasn't ready for the recoil on such a small double rifle. and have never doubled it again in twelve years. I've never doubled the 470NE, 140-1 Safari in just over ten years, even when pulling the back trigger first.

Today I would have zero problem going into the weeds with an elephant, or buffalo with that 470NE Merkel and little more caution on the 9.3X74R merkel, on cats or buffalo!

The question has been answered for me, so I'll leave the cussing to those who enjoy that sort of thing!

.......................................................................Good day Gentlemen! old

DRSS Charter member

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Being new to double rifles, I had not heard of doubling due to strumming before. What errors in shooting technique lead to it and how is it best avoided?

Posts: 84 | Location: Eastern USA | Registered: 08 December 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by vangulik:
Being new to double rifles, I had not heard of doubling due to strumming before. What errors in shooting technique lead to it and how is it best avoided?

Vangulik, the term “STRUMMING” is when you don’t have a firm grip on the front trigger so that when the rifles right barrel recoils the trigger finger slips off the front trigger and when the barrels rise causes the finger to hit the back trigger setting the left barrel as well. Sort of like strumming a guitar.

This is what is commonly called a shooter induced double discharge. In this case there is nothing mechanically wrong with the rifle, just that the shooter wasn’t maintaining a firm hold, letting the rifles recoil make his hand slide back with the trigger finger hitting the back trigger.

The proper hold includes both hands not just the trigger hand. The forehand plays a big part in control of the double rifle. The forehand should be placed at the front end of the fore-end wood with the fingers warped around the barrels, not just the wood. Then the rifle is pulled into the shoulder, and the shooter leans into the rifle. The trigger hand grips the pistol grip with at least the first pad on the trigger finger placed solidly on the front trigger, if possible up to the first joint of that finger.

Leaning into the rifle causes the recoil to be mostly straight back, and the grip of the forehand retards muzzle rise.

Hope that is at least as clear a swamp mud!
........................................................................ coffee

DRSS Charter member

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks very much for the information. I will try to follow it when I first fire my recently purchased double rifle.

Posts: 84 | Location: Eastern USA | Registered: 08 December 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by vangulik:
Thanks very much for the information. I will try to follow it when I first fire my recently purchased double rifle.

Your welcome, and welcome to the DRSS!

.......................................................................... old tu2

DRSS Charter member

Hands of Old Elmer Keith