THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM DOUBLE RIFLES FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Double Rifles    .450 BPE vs .450 Nitro chamber specs
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

.450 BPE vs .450 Nitro chamber specs
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I am in th eprocess of building a .450 BPE and ahve a couple of questions about chamber dimensions.

No.1:Isn't the BPE chamber the same as the Nitro?

No.B: What is the "standard" rime dimension? I know there were thin and thick rims, and I just want the reamer ground to "normal" dimensions for regular brass.

Thanks!

Posts: 2509 | Location: Kisatchie National Forest, LA | Registered: 20 October 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Marc_Stokeld:
I am in th eprocess of building a .450 BPE and ahve a couple of questions about chamber dimensions.

No.1:Isn't the BPE chamber the same as the Nitro?

Yes, but the throat might be a little longer for the Nitro.

quote:
No.B: What is the "standard" rime dimension? I know there were thin and thick rims, and I just want the reamer ground to "normal" dimensions for regular brass.

The .450 3.25" BPE and the .450 3.25" NE are both .450 thin rim, which is supposed to be a max thickness of .042". CIP .450 Nitro Express standards for Max Cartridge/Min Chamber are .042"/.043" rim thickness and .624"/.634" rim diameter.
----------------------------------------------
"Serious rifles have two barrels, everything else just burns gunpowder."

Posts: 1742 | Location: Texas | Registered: 10 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hey Marc

what are you going to build?

Posts: 201 | Location: logan, W.V. | Registered: 13 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I recently went through this process with clymer and had them build me a .450ne reamer and head space gages....spendy! There are now even more choices since Asquare has decided to redesign everything under the sun. I had them grind me a CIP standard reamer. I'm sure you know that CIP is the European equiv. of SAAMI. Clymer has all the dimensions on file and will save you a bit of work on looking everything up. Drop me a pm if you would like to borrow the gages, its sounds as through you want to buy a reamer, other wise your free to borrow mine.

Posts: 3770 | Location: Boulder Colorado | Registered: 27 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
THanks for the info guys. I just called PTG and told them I needed a .450 BPE reamer with no throat (I always cut the thoat seperately). Also got another reamer, a couple of indicating rodsand 10 bushings. One of the ladies called back and said they did not have the BPE print, only the Nitro. I tolf her that I thought they were the same and just use the Nitro drawing.

I have no idea what spec they are grinding it to. i usually talk to Dave at length about exactly what I want, but did not this time. I better call him tomorrow to talk about a couple of things.

skb-
PM sent!

oh yeah, Dale: it is a single shot stalking rifle built as Henry would have built one one in the 1880's. There is a thread I posted about the action on the gunsmithing board. Using a Steve Earle Alexander Henry hammer action. That thing is is one of the most precise instuments I have seen. I had handled them before, but now that I have had time to really mess with my own, it blows me away!

Posts: 2509 | Location: Kisatchie National Forest, LA | Registered: 20 October 2004Reply With Quote