THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM DOUBLE RIFLES FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Double Rifles    Sleeving a .410 double to .30-'06.
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Sleeving a .410 double to .30-'06.
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of custombolt
posted
My neighbor asked me how much it would cost to sleeve his .410 Remington SxS to a deer caliber. I told him his budget of $1,000 might be light. Was I correct? Seems like just the extractor work alone could push the labor up there.
For what it's worth, he wasn't too keen on paying $1,500 plus for a Baikal SxS. Any reflection is appreciated as usual. CB

Life itself is a gift. Live it up if you can.

Posts: 5236 | Location: Near Hershey PA | Registered: 12 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Aaron Little
posted Hide Post
Can’t speak for others, but my prices now start at $4.5k for shotgun to rifle conversions. I’m at around 125Hrs average for a conversion. At $1000 that leaves about $350 to pay for said labor...or about $2.75 an hour.

Are we confusing barrel liners with an actual conversion?

30-06 is also too big for a .410 frame, I’d recommend at least a 28ga frame. Also, I couldn’t recommend 30-06 due to pressure and lack of rim.

http://www.facebook.com/profil...p?id=100001646464847

A.M. Little Bespoke Gunmakers LLC
682-554-0044
Michael08TDK@yahoo.com

Posts: 1026 | Location: Mineola, TX | Registered: 15 October 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I am glad that Aaron spoke up as my first thoughts of the original post was that your neighbor's heirs would be spending much more on his funeral expenses (after the pressure of the .30-06 destroyed the .410 barrels and action) than the cost of a Baikal SxS

Posts: 348 | Location: South Carolina USA | Registered: 20 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of crshelton
posted Hide Post
have him try .410 slugs?

NRA Life Benefactor Member,
DRSS, DWWC, Whittington
Center,Android Reloading
Ballistics App at
http://www.xplat.net/

Posts: 2294 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 25 May 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of custombolt
posted Hide Post
As I expected, my inclinations are confirmed. I'll let him know what the pros said. Thanks.

Aaron - A barrel liner was assumed. Isn't a barrel liner the same as a sleeve? Thanks for the full explanation. I am much the wiser.

quote:
Originally posted by Aaron Little:

Are we confusing barrel liners with an actual conversion?

Posts: 5236 | Location: Near Hershey PA | Registered: 12 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of custombolt
posted Hide Post
No. He's not quite that frugal. Just a bit low on the budget. He has several rifles to choose from.
quote:
Originally posted by crshelton:
have him try .410 slugs?

One of Us
Picture of Aaron Little
posted Hide Post
Sleeving is when you cut off the barrels just in front of the breach section forming a “monoblock”. Then new tubes are installed into the monoblock.

Barrel liners are just inserts that go into the existing shotgun barrels. I am unaware of anyone doing this.

682-554-0044
Michael08TDK@yahoo.com

Posts: 1026 | Location: Mineola, TX | Registered: 15 October 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Have him buy the Baikal; he can't get to where he wants to go for anywhere near 1500, as AL said. Now, putting 45-70 sleeves in a 12 gauge is a viable option; these are drop into the existing barrels and not part of the shotgun.
EAA used to sell them, not sure now. I have made them in 444 and 45-70.

Posts: 17281 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of custombolt
posted Hide Post
Thanks dpcd. I saw those low-pressure caliber liners. Must be what he was thinking.

Aaron: Before I posted here, I told him that to do it right expect $4,00-$5,000.

I also told him that a Baikal would cost him $1,500. or more. He wouldn't pay that much either even now that they haven't been imported for several years and they aren't selling as cheap and they were when there were plenty to go around.

He's a nice guy so I figured I would look for that needle in a haystack anyway.

One of Us
Picture of jimatcat
posted Hide Post
I have less than $600 in my Baikal 30-06... and $1000 for the 45-70 version... they're out there, just shop...

go big or go home ........

DSC-- Life Member
NRA--Life member
DRSS--9.3x74 r Chapuis

Posts: 2842 | Location: dividing my time between san angelo and victoria texas.......... USA | Registered: 26 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
My crazy uncle used to shoot 44 mags in his .410 shotgun. I told him he was going to kill himself, but jack daniels did the job first.

One of Us
Picture of Dulltool17
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dpcd:
Have him buy the Baikal; he can't get to where he wants to go for anywhere near 1500, as AL said. Now, putting 45-70 sleeves in a 12 gauge is a viable option; these are drop into the existing barrels and not part of the shotgun.
EAA used to sell them, not sure now. I have made them in 444 and 45-70.

My poor adventurous brain has been thinking of a 444 in a double 12 for some time now. Can I ask how you handled extraction of the 444?

If you rather not give away anything, I can certainly respect that.

Doug Wilhelmi
NRA Life Member

Posts: 7503 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 15 October 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of custombolt
posted Hide Post
Ay caramba!

quote:
My crazy uncle used to shoot 44 mags in his .410 shotgun. I told him he was going to kill himself, but jack daniels did the job first.

One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Once you think about it, it wasn't really dangerous; the long chamber and forcing cone made shooting the .429 bullet out of the .410 bore pretty safe. He was still a drunk idiot.
As for the extractor, I made a new one for the 444; the liners were not removable. It is not an elegant way but it was cheap and quick. Making a real double rifle using only the mono block is the best way of course, but then you are in the $5K range.

One of Us
Picture of custombolt
posted Hide Post
See now, my initial thought was that the .019" wider bullet would have put too much stress at the cone. After a bit more thought, a radius increase of .0095" doesn't sound like a lot of extra pressure on the cone surface after all. Sure sounded scary though.
Great food for thought Tom. Thanks.

One of Us
Picture of custombolt
posted Hide Post
Good point Jim. He has some great luck and bumps into some greats deals. He'll be at the right place at the right time one of these days.
quote:
Originally posted by jimatcat:
I have less than $600 in my Baikal 30-06... and $1000 for the 45-70 version... they're out there, just shop...

one of us
posted Hide Post
It seems to me the 410 action might work with a 30-40 Krag or 303..???? I would opt however a set of new barrels, not liners..Still a 28 ga would probably be best???

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 42167 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Aaron Little
posted Hide Post
Not many .30 rifle calibers belong on a .410 frame, unless it is dramatically oversized.

682-554-0044
Michael08TDK@yahoo.com

One of Us
Picture of custombolt
posted Hide Post
The chamber itself on his .410 is quite stout. Didn't pay much attention to the frame quality. But, just for the sake of knowledge, I just looked at the pressures for an '06 and it's like 3X the pressure for both 2.75 & 3" slugs.
Just one more deal-breaker to add to the mix.

One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
It's not just the chamber pressure that is important (ok, it is only one consideration); it is the back thrust pressure. Chrome moly barrel steel is very strong, but most shotgun frames and locking bolts aren't necessarily so. And the firing pin holes are very important. Have to know the frame size you have, but 60K psi level cartridges are not well suited to double rifles. Not saying they have not been built on them; just most DR calibers are low pressure.
Buy a Bakial. Or a Chapuis for still less than a conversion. Not in 30-06 though, for the Chapuis. French law or some such nonsense.

One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
quote:

My Grandad’s old single-barrel .410 says on the barrel: .410/44 Special

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
J. Lane Easter, DVM

A born Texan has instilled in his system a mind-set of no retreat or no surrender. I wish everyone the world over had the dominating spirit that motivates Texans.– Billy Clayton, Speaker of the Texas House

No state commands such fierce pride and loyalty. Lesser mortals are pitied for their misfortune in not being born in Texas.— Queen Elizabeth II on her visit to Texas in May, 1991.

Posts: 37878 | Location: Gainesville, TX | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Hmmm. Interesting history.
Now there was a 44 special shot load way back when that pre dates the 410; 44XL I have one somewhere.

One of Us
Picture of Snellstrom
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ledvm:
quote:

I've noticed a .45 Long Colt drops right into a .410 shotgun chamber........

Posts: 5604 | Location: Eastern plains of Colorado | Registered: 31 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of vlwtx348
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Snellstrom:
quote:
Originally posted by ledvm:
quote:

I've noticed a .45 Long Colt drops right into a .410 shotgun chamber........

My dad always said that's what the old time poachers would use.
Walk around in the woods with a .410 like they were squirrel hunting but slip a .45 Colt in for deer.
And don't let anyone tell you .45 Colt isn't enough for deer. I've killed plenty of whitetail and mule deer with anything from a Colt SAA using LRN at 850 fps to an 1892 rifle using .300 gr XTP-magnums at 1400 fps

Posts: 310 | Location: NE Texas | Registered: 12 February 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of vlwtx348
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jimatcat:

Yes. I gave $700 for my Baikal in ,45-70.
If a guy is patient the .30-'-6 versions can be found for $700 t0 $850. They are ugly, but work.

Posts: 310 | Location: NE Texas | Registered: 12 February 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Hmmm. Interesting history.
Now there was a 44 special shot load way back when that pre dates the 410; 44XL I have one somewhere.

I have one of those too...a smoothbore takedown falling-block .44

Thats my boy holding it...he was shooting English sparrows out of the chicken house with some light load #9 shot I load for it in trimmed .444 brass.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
J. Lane Easter, DVM

A born Texan has instilled in his system a mind-set of no retreat or no surrender. I wish everyone the world over had the dominating spirit that motivates Texans.– Billy Clayton, Speaker of the Texas House

No state commands such fierce pride and loyalty. Lesser mortals are pitied for their misfortune in not being born in Texas.— Queen Elizabeth II on her visit to Texas in May, 1991.

Posts: 37878 | Location: Gainesville, TX | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of custombolt
posted Hide Post
He'll find a Baikal eventually Tom. He'd never spring for a Chapuis.
quote:
Buy a Bakial. Or a Chapuis for still less than a conversion. Not in 30-06 though, for the Chapuis. French law or some such nonsense.