Find
Notify
Tools

Heym 88B
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Brain1
posted
I was able to pick up a Heym 88B in 458WM. I know it is not a traditional DR cartridge, but ammunition is very available. I also have a bolt gun I built in 458 so the shared ammo makes sense, to me. It seems to be a shooter with Hornady factory, so far.

You can borrow money, but you can't borrow time. Don't wait, go now.
Savannah Safaris Namibia
Otjitambi Trails & Safaris
DRSS
NRA
SCI
DSC
TSRA
TMPA

Posts: 1262 | Location: Bridgeport, Tx | Registered: 20 May 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bill73
posted Hide Post
My favorite DR is an O/U 458 LOTT,enjoy your gun,shoot it enough,it's a great caliber & easy to load for tu2

DRSS

Posts: 2279 | Location: MI | Registered: 20 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
just a note. New guy at Heym has a really nice scoped 88b in 375 Flanged for sale. A go anywhere do any thing rifle.

Posts: 1231 | Location: South Texas | Registered: 12 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bill73:
My favorite DR is an O/U 458 LOTT,enjoy your gun,shoot it enough,it's a great caliber & easy to load for tu2

. . . did you really need to bring that up Bill. faint

rotflmo

Mike

Posts: 21667 | Registered: 03 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Brain1
posted Hide Post
I was able to put a few rounds through it last week. I am a bit disappointed. I was only able to manage 2.5" groups at 60 yards with the factory Barnes 450gr ammunition. Yes I am being a SA. I am in love with this rifle. It has selectable ejectors and extractors. I did have to move the rear sight pretty far to the left but it is ON.

You can borrow money, but you can't borrow time. Don't wait, go now.
Savannah Safaris Namibia
Otjitambi Trails & Safaris
DRSS
NRA
SCI
DSC
TSRA
TMPA

Posts: 1262 | Location: Bridgeport, Tx | Registered: 20 May 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DoubleDon
posted Hide Post
In my opinion, if you are going to be a DR guy you generally must handload to get them to shoot tight groups. Speed up with more powder or lighter bullets to bring them together. Slow down with heavier bullets or less powder if they cross.

The .458 is an excellent candidate for JJ to change to .450 3 1/4" NE. Great calibre and less pressure. Best of luck in any event.

Deo Vindice,

Don

Sons of Confederate Veterans Black Horse Camp #780

Posts: 1706 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 01 February 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I second JJ and the 450NE conversion. He did my 88b and I am happy with the conversion. It avoids the potential of the very small rimless extractor ride over leaving the fired case in the chamber. I am probably sensitive to that possibility as I had it happen with a different double.

That being said, from a practical matter you have the PH for a back up.

Posts: 161 | Location: Dallas area | Registered: 07 October 2012Reply With Quote