New
Find
Notify
Tools

To sling or not to sling?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Just wondering what the thoughts are on whether to use a sling on a double in Africa and Alaska. I most always sling a bolt gun for these two venues. Makes for an easier carry in my opinion for me and if I let one of the trackers tote mine for a spell.

Interested in plus and minus factors involved in slings on doubles. Thanks for the input.

Larry Sellers
SCI(International) Life Member
Sabatti "trash" Shooter

Posts: 3460 | Location: Jemez Mountains, New Mexico | Registered: 09 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Some people will disagree but I always have a sling on my double rifles for the same reasons you already mentioned.

Ken

DRSS, PP Chapter
Life NRA
Life SCI
Life DSC

Posts: 1329 | Location: PA | Registered: 06 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Agree...on an African hunt, you have the trackers and the PH in front of you, so the need to have the rifle at port arms ready in an instant is diminished. It's nice to have your hands free to fend off brush and thorns, to glass, etc.

Posts: 20161 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have been slinging my rifles for 45 years and don't see why I should change for my DRs, besides I like having both hands free.

BUTCH

C'est Tout Bon
(It is all good)

Posts: 1928 | Location: Lafayette, LA | Registered: 05 October 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of cal pappas
posted Hide Post
I always sling when walking and unsling during the stalk. Being a traditionalist, I like Trader Keith's web sling with either eyes or fastened to a loop (depending on the double).
Cal

Cal Pappas, Willow, Alaska
www.CalPappas.com
www.CalPappas.blogspot.com
1994 Zimbabwe
1997 Zimbabwe
1998 Zimbabwe
1999 Zimbabwe
1999 Namibia, Botswana, Zambia--vacation
2000 Australia
2002 South Africa
2003 South Africa
2003 Zimbabwe
2005 South Africa
2005 Zimbabwe
2006 Tanzania
2006 Zimbabwe--vacation
2007 Zimbabwe--vacation
2008 Zimbabwe
2012 Australia
2013 South Africa
2013 Zimbabwe
2013 Australia
2016 Zimbabwe
2017 Zimbabwe
2018 South Africa
2018 Zimbabwe--vacation
2019 South Africa
2019 Botswana
2019 Zimbabwe vacation
2021 South Africa
2021 South Africa (2nd hunt a month later)

Posts: 7281 | Location: Willow, Alaska | Registered: 29 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Many early double rifles had sling eyes fitted that then took a sling the end of which was a metal "S" type hook.

Very practical, on and off as quick as you would want. But do you ever see them now?

Posts: 6820 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: 18 November 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I have been slinging my rifles for 45 years and don't see why I should change for my DRs, besides I like having both hands free.

Butch, you're over 45??? :-)

Posts: 20161 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of JDA-CO
posted Hide Post
For a long time I used a sling and in recent years I've started to carry all my guns at port arms. Seems like it's just gotten more comfortable that way.

I do carry a sling in my pack, however, in case I get something down and need both hands.

JDA

One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
I have slings on both of my doubles but with quick detach abilities. It's just easier over the long haul and as someone else said, it's nice to have your hands free. The sling is great especially when walking back to the truck over dead ground after an unsuccessful stalk.

I always take the sling off when expecting immediate action in the thick stuff. For longer shots in open terrain, I leave it on.

One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
I do not use a sling. Just gets in the way. I use the much maligned, cursed and debated African carry.

Mike

Posts: 21705 | Registered: 03 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I use a sling. I like my hands to be free and also use QD sling swivels if I need for it to be gone.

Posts: 4214 | Location: Southern Colorado | Registered: 09 October 2011Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Antlers
posted Hide Post
I have done both and found I prefer the sling. I couldn't stand not having both hands free to use my binocs.

Antlers
Double Rifle Shooters Society
Heym 450/400 3"

Posts: 1990 | Location: AL | Registered: 13 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of eagle27
posted Hide Post
Having watched much of the latest video of Saeed's hunt, the use or not of a sling is well demonstrated. The PH in all the video has his double rifle slinged and it seems to work well allowing both his hands free to glass,operate a camera and to carry the sticks. Saeed has no sling on both the rifles used on the hunt and he himself seems to make light work of carrying the rifle in the African carry or in his arms. As for the others in the party using the second rifle without a sling, some look comfortable others not so much.

I find the simple 1" webbing sling with a sliding buckle allowing for quick adjustment from long enough to carry the rifle over your back when needing both hands for climbing or shortening it to the minimum to prevent it snagging in heavy bush, is about ideal. Not the best width for a long carry but I don't see that being needed in Africa. Of course with QD swivels it is simple and quick enough to take the sling off and put in the pocket if one was going up close and personal.

Posts: 3908 | Location: Rolleston, Christchurch, New Zealand | Registered: 03 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of AK_Stick
posted Hide Post
I think for alot of it, it depends upon how you hunt.

If you're doing the ride around in a car, see some game, stop and make a move for the target animal, perhaps a sling isn't needed. If you're hunting AK, or out walking long distances, over varied terrain, I simply can't see how you wouldn't want one.

I have a elephant hide sling from AR's very own Will on my Sabattti, I can't say enough good things about it. Once I get home for a little bit, I'll post a photo. Great little setup.

Only Angels and Aviators have wings

Posts: 263 | Location: The frozen north, between deployments | Registered: 03 July 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
IMO,when you need a rifle or shotgun quick dont use a sling.If I was hunting with my rifle for deer or caribou I could not do without a sling.
With a sling I feel that I carry my rifle like luggage-relaxed and not expecting to see anything possibly for days.Without a sling and it is ready for a woodcock from the thickets or game filled africa.
There might be guns that dont balance well or are too long etc... like a semi-auto shotgun,or a heavy scoped rifle(top heavy) that might need a sling.

Posts: 11651 | Location: Montreal | Registered: 07 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Oddly enough in France most shot guns are fitted with slings. And most hunters will use a sling. In fact I think that it is the law?

In Britain most are not. And most hunters in Britain won't use a sling on those (few) shot guns that come imported with sling swivels fitted. Think those USSR Baikal guns.

I think that as SHOOTAWAY says between the hands is the best when you expect a target to present.

In fact is there a difference in Canada between those hunters of British origin and French origin?

Does the hunter in the old stamping grounds of Cavalier de la Salle use a sling on his gun?

Posts: 6820 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: 18 November 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I think half of the people in Canada dont have British or french origin.I would not be surprised if that was the law in France.Britain seems alot like France these days.

Posts: 11651 | Location: Montreal | Registered: 07 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Slings on shotguns is just not a French idea, in a large part of Continental Europe the use of slings on a shotgun is very common.
I hunt pheasants 2 or 3 times a week for 6 months behind a pointing dog. Two of my three "go to" sxs shotguns are prewar equipped with swivels and slings. I find the slings very useful for when I need both hands or even just walking behind the dog. When the dog gets birdie it only take a moment to have the gun in my hands. On occasion when surprised by a bird I have still been able to still mount & kill the bird when the gun was still on my shoulder with the sling when the bird flushed.
I think some people over think using or not using a sling.

Ken

DRSS, PP Chapter
Life NRA
Life SCI
Life DSC

Posts: 1329 | Location: PA | Registered: 06 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jorge
posted Hide Post
I sling all my rifles. Every time I see PH and clients carrying their rifles over the shoulder and holding them by the barrels I cringe. Besides it being UNSAFE, all those gorgeous doubles with big white palm swell inprints where the bluing has been worn away.

USN (ret)
DRSS Verney-Carron 450NE
Cogswell & Harrison 375 Fl NE
Sabatti Big Five 375 FL Magnum NE
DSC Life Member
NRA Life Member

Posts: 7149 | Location: Orange Park, Florida. USA | Registered: 22 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of McKay
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jorge:
I sling all my rifles. Every time I see PH and clients carrying their rifles over the shoulder and holding them by the barrels I cringe. Besides it being UNSAFE, all those gorgeous doubles with big white palm swell inprints where the bluing has been worn away.

Funny.....I don't think a double looks good until it has that big white palm swell....haha

Mac

Posts: 1747 | Location: Salt Lake City, UT | Registered: 01 February 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Muletrain
posted Hide Post
Walking in the wild bush where dangerous animals are present, loaded rifle carried in the hands.

Walking around a SA game farm, sling, no sling, or whatever is comfortable or makes you happy.

A bit off the topic but somewhat related.
I know people who have a handgun in their vehicle that is either in the glove compartment or in a zipper case under the seat. They think they are armed and safe. But the reality of carjackings and muggings are that it happens so quickly that the victim has no time to retrieve the weapon from the glove compartment or zipped up in a case under the seat.

Elephant Hunter,
Double Rifle Shooter Society,
NRA Lifetime Member,
Ten Safaris, in RSA, Namibia, Zimbabwe

Posts: 955 | Location: Houston, Texas, USA | Registered: 13 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Muletrain:
Walking in the wild bush where dangerous animals are present, loaded rifle carried in the hands.

Walking around a SA game farm, sling, no sling, or whatever is comfortable or makes you happy.

I know people who have a handgun in their vehicle that is either in the glove compartment or in a zipper case under the seat. They think they are armed and safe. But the reality of carjackings and muggings are that it happens so quickly that the victim has no time to retrieve the weapon from the glove compartment or zipped up in a case under the seat.

X2 tu2

Full time professional trapper

Posts: 313 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 13 February 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jorge
posted Hide Post
quote:

I can GUARANTEE I can bring a weapon to bear from a sling carry as fast as I can from an over the shoulder. Your analogy about a weapon in a zippered case inside a vehicle is apples and oranges..

USN (ret)
DRSS Verney-Carron 450NE
DSC Life Member
NRA Life Member

Posts: 7149 | Location: Orange Park, Florida. USA | Registered: 22 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

I can GUARANTEE I can bring a weapon to bear from a sling carry as fast as I can from an over the shoulder. Your analogy about a weapon in a zippered case inside a vehicle is apples and oranges..

I can too. I just don't like the possibility of a sling getting caught in the brush. Same goes for binos on a loose neck strap.

Full time professional trapper

Posts: 313 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 13 February 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I use a sling. It's faster than getting tired on a long stalk and passing my gun off to a tracker.

Posts: 1981 | Location: South Dakota | Registered: 22 August 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by McKay:
quote:

Funny.....I don't think a double looks good until it has that big white palm swell....haha

Agreed. A double NEEDS that shiny spot near the muzzles to have "character"!

one of us
Picture of Muletrain
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

Thats why I said it's a bit off topic.
The situation is apples and oranges.

The piont that people will rationalize certain behaviors is apples and apples.

I GUARANTEE that you can't bring a weapon to bear from a sling carry as fast as you can from a weapon CARRIED IN THE HANDS. Which is what I wrote above. Possibly you didn't read it carefully.

Elephant Hunter,
NRA Lifetime Member,

Posts: 955 | Location: Houston, Texas, USA | Registered: 13 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of LionHunter
posted Hide Post
I use slings on all my rifles, both bolt and doubles, and have a sling on one of my shotguns as well. I can't imagine hunting without a sling and I know that with some practice a gun on a sling can be brought into battery just as quickly or more so than one from the "african" carry, and in a safer manner as well...but we have done this dance here before, many times. horse

Mike
NRA Life
Sables Life
Mzuri
IPHA

"To be a Marine is enough."

Posts: 3577 | Location: Silicon Valley | Registered: 19 November 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Generally I like a sling but I don't sling my elephant rifle since it doesn't have provisions for sling. The African carry is comfortable enough that I have never been motivated to change.

Jorge, the African carry is safe, so long as the fellow carrying the rifle is paying attention. If he is then the barrels are pointed in no less safe a direction than with a sling.

In fact, the fellow carrying with a slung rifle needs to pay attention too. Ever followed a fellow who allows his slung rifle to slide so the muzzles are pointing at your face? I have looked up to see the muzzle more than once!

JPK

Free 500grains

Posts: 4900 | Location: Chevy Chase, Md. | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Muletrain
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by LionHunter:
...but we have done this dance here before, many times. horse

But it's so entertaining. And that is why we are here, for entertainment, is it not?

None of us opinionated, inflexible, fat headed old farts are here to learn anything.

Hahaha!

Elephant Hunter,
NRA Lifetime Member,

One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
quote:

None of us opinionated, inflexible, fat headed old farts are here to learn anything.

Ain't that the damn truth. I bet you could count on one hand all the times on AR someone has said, "Hey, I think you are right and I was wrong, good point." Big Grin

Mike

one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MJines:
I do not use a sling. Just gets in the way. I use the much maligned, cursed and debated African carry.

.................................+1 on the African carry!

I usually have a light web sling in the pouch on the back of my ammo belt for the long walk back to the hunting car in open country, or for negotiating rough terrain where both hands are needed!

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Muletrain
posted Hide Post
Just man up and carry your rifle. You guys remember how to man up, don't you?
If you can't then stay in camp and drink beer. Long walks in the hot sun carrying a heavy rifle is not for everyone. If you can't do it, we understand.
It does not make you a bad person.

Elephant Hunter,
NRA Lifetime Member,

One of Us
Picture of steyrsteve
posted Hide Post
Here's a great way to use your sling that I discovered some years ago, Please try it and let us know how it works for you.
Here's how it works, assuming you are right handed: (Obviously, if your are left handed, do this in reverse) From the front sling attachment, run the sling outside your left arm, under your left tricep, across your lower chest, under your right tricep to the outside, and back to the rear attachment. Put your arms to your sides to hold the sling in place and put a slight outward tension on the rifle or shotgun.
This takes all the strain off your elbows and biceps. In effect, your upper arm bones take the weight of the rifle or shotgun.
When you need to use your gun, simply move your arms off your body, move the gun in towards your body a few inches, and the sling will drop below your elbows and hang free and out of the way.
Before I discovered this little trick, I hated to use a sling. Now I find I can carry a rifle or shotgun all day without getting that bad elbow pain and sore arms I used get by 10 in the morning. Hope this makes someone's hunt just a little more enjoyable.

NRA Life Member
DRSS-Claflin Chapter
Mannlicher Collectors Assn
KCCA
IAA

Posts: 473 | Location: central Kansas | Registered: 26 December 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jorge
posted Hide Post
quote:
If you can't then stay in camp and drink beer. Long walks in the hot sun carrying a heavy rifle is not for everyone. If you can't do it, we understand.

From John Sharp, hope he's "man enough" for you Smiler :

20. For safety reasons I will not permit any client to carry a loaded firearm over his / her shoulder whilst walking behind me and my trackers - please ensure that you bring a sling for your rifle.

USN (ret)
DRSS Verney-Carron 450NE
DSC Life Member
NRA Life Member

One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

20. For safety reasons I will not permit any client to carry a loaded firearm over his / her shoulder whilst walking behind me and my trackers - please ensure that you bring a sling for your rifle.

Perhaps Muletrain's point is that a lot of folks that profess to "carry" their rifles on safari, "carry" them from the chalet to the truck in the morning and the evening and that is about all the "carrying" they do of their rifles. I am sure that is not the case with anyone on AR though, since the members all consist of manly men who would never let their rifles out of their hands while in pursuit of dangerous game. Big Grin

Mike

one of us
Picture of Muletrain
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

JS is a manly man but a certain type of manly man. He's a pretty boy.

His main concern is to preserve his perfect 'show body'. Having it blemished by gunshot wound scars would just not do.

Elephant Hunter,
NRA Lifetime Member,

One of Us
Picture of eagle27
posted Hide Post
quote:
Just man up and carry your rifle.
If you can't then stay in camp and drink beer.

Show me a man who can open a can of beer without spilling a drop while using the African carry. That's why a real man has to have a sling tu2

Posts: 3908 | Location: Rolleston, Christchurch, New Zealand | Registered: 03 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:

Its okay

We understand if you are not intelligent enough to operate complicated machinery like a sling----

faint

"The rule is perfect: in all matters of opinion our adversaries are insane." Mark Twain
TANSTAAFL

www.savannagems.com A unique way to own a piece of Africa.

DSC Life
NRA Life

Posts: 3386 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: 05 September 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

Maybe that is why I have never hunted with Sharp! clap

465H&H

Posts: 5686 | Location: Nampa, Idaho | Registered: 10 February 2005Reply With Quote