Notify
Tools

Blaser S2 Safari
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted
This ought to generate some noise.

At the HSC show yesterday I had an opportunity to handle a Blaser S2 Safari in .500 NE. First time I have handled one. I have to say that I was pretty impressed. Pros, very unique locking system that seems extremely strong, extremely smooth in terms of opening and closing, nice weight (not too heavy, not too light), good wood, unique regulation system that avoids the need to resolder the barrels, and competitive price. Cons, rear sight stinks, automatic safety, barrels are a bit wider across the entire barrel section since they are not joined and relatively cheap looking rubber strip on the underside of the barrel since the barrels are not joined.

So my conclusion, certainly not the "traditional" double but not a bad double by any means. Seems every bit as well made as the Merkel or Krieghoff.

Blast away.

Mike

Posts: 21271 | Registered: 03 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
Saw the other post on scoped doubles, another pro with the Blaser, integral scope mounts in addition to the iron sights.

Mike

Posts: 21271 | Registered: 03 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ROSCOE
posted Hide Post
An auto safety on a double rifle? sounds like a good way to get someone killed.

R. Lee Ermey: "The deadliest weapon in the world is a Marine and his rifle."
We're going to be "gifted" with a health care plan we are forced to purchase and fined if we don't, Which purportedly covers at least ten million more people, without adding a single new doctor, but provides for 16,000 new IRS agents, written by a committee whose chairman says he doesn't understand it, passed by a Congress that didn't read it but exempted themselves from it, and signed by a President, with funding administered by a treasury chief who didn't pay his taxes, for which we'll be taxed for four years before any benefits take effect, by a government which has already bankrupted Social Security and Medicare, all to be overseen by a surgeon general who is obese, and financed by a country that's broke!!!!! 'What the hell could possibly go wrong?'

Posts: 2122 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
in my opinion the s2 is a complicated piece of machine, constructed for easy of manufacture, and hence junk so far as a double rifle goes.

Posts: 13446 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
The S2 is far from junk.

It is, however, non-traditional and unconventional, not to say new and radically different from every other double out there.

For example, it incorporates a do-it-yourself regulating system, some ugly plastic parts, and it has an automatic decocker. Plus, it's sort of weirdly high tech, Teutonic-looking. Those things, rather than its quality, are its major drawbacks as a double rifle.

I would think that the rifle could be redesigned and spruced up cosmetically so as to be more traditional-looking and functioning. The price might go up, but it's already about the lowest priced option out there, so there's some room for that.

Double rifle shooters are pretty traditional and conventional in their choices, as a rule. Unless the S2 is redone to suit them, it seems unlikely to me that it will ever sell very well.

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13404 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote