Tools

coin finish
 Login/Join

posted
what is coin finish and how is it done thank you

one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
Coin finish is not colored at all, and is polished to the degree coin proof sets are polished, but not plated. This can be on a smooth surface, or on a combination of smooth, and engraveing! It is very shiny, and is usually on very up scale arms, but usually not liked by dangerous game hunters,on double rifles, because of the flash effect it sometimes causes. beer

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
thanks mac,maybe i have my terms mixed up,what are the white finishes on the heym, merkel.chapuis,krieghoff and how are they done thank you

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Some manufacturers uses a plated process others use a chemical process to treat the action to get the coin finish. Color can range from a dull gray to bright chrome. Untreated metal would not hold up well to use and would be subject to rust. I have seen where Merkel refers to their finish as "nitrated", Sabotti uses a dull chrome plate.

Ken

DRSS, PP Chapter
Life NRA
Life SCI
Life DSC

Posts: 1329 | Location: PA | Registered: 06 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have been told, but do not know for fact, that the typical "coin finish" is essentially cose colors polished off, but still leaving some surface treatment of the metal to help prevent rust and scatches.

This seems to be the case. My double rifle and one shotgun I own are "coin finish" and resist any rust on the action better than other areas of the guns. Seems similar to older Brit shotguns where the case colrs have been worn away or, god forbid, brushed off.

Coin finish guns do not shine or reflect much, not nearly like a good rust blued barrel set.

JPK

Free 500grains

Posts: 4900 | Location: Chevy Chase, Md. | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
All the posts are true, the surface is hardened, even the plated ones, and does resist rust. However,all silvered finishes are not coin finish! Coin finish, IMO,which is worth exactly what you paid for it, is only very shiney, then you have what is called French grayed, which is slightly dulled, by what is called pickeling. The plated guns are not coin finish, but plated, like the Krieghoff which is a chorme, or nickel plated, I'm not sure which, but I suspect chrome plated.

It is certainly true the rust would soon be in evidence if the surface was not hardened. and all the types mentioned, are either hardened, or plated or both. Rust blueing will not resist rust nearly as well as the coin finish, or the duller finish which is not coin finish, but either pickeled, or brushed, and some are very lightly bead blasted to a frosty finish. Dull chrome is plated over lightly bead blasted steel, to cut shine. I have several old doubles that are very finely engraved, that were case colored when new, and now show no coloring, and resemble the french gray. They also resist rust very well, because of the hardened surface. In the case of Merkel Safari double rifles, the finish is what JPK refers to as case colored, then polished off to a low luster silver, not a coin finish. The Krieghoffs are shiney as a GMC bumper, and are hard chromed.

True COIN FINISH is exactly that, finished like a new coin, and as shiny as a new mint set,but is nice if nicely accented with fine scroll engraveing. I find any of the plated actions to be a cheapening look, when compared to the patina of an old rifle, French silvered, or case colored!

It all boils down to what a person likes, and there are as many tastes as there are finishes! beer

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
hey thanks fellas