New
Find
Notify
Tools

Purdey
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
We hear a lot about H&H doubles but very little about Purdey.
Anyone here had any experience with them?

Posts: 61 | Location: Great White North | Registered: 10 May 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Talk about starting at the top with your first post Big Grin

Posts: 3191 | Location: Victoria, Australia | Registered: 01 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 500N:
Talk about starting at the top with your first post Big Grin

I hope by that comment you don't mean that I have only one way to go?

Posts: 61 | Location: Great White North | Registered: 10 May 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
In terms of talking about Guns, yes, the only direction is down.

Not a huge number of guns above Purdey in terms of Quality !!!

I owned a 450/400, have seen a few others including mint 376 Purdey's.

Very nice, but I'd take an H&H over a Purdey.

Posts: 3191 | Location: Victoria, Australia | Registered: 01 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
PONDORO wrote of a 400 Nitro Express Purdey that he really liked!

Jack

OH GOD! {Seriously, we need the help.}

Posts: 2791 | Location: USA - East Coast | Registered: 10 December 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mortician:

There is no question that the Purdey firearms are top of the line in price. Nobody else can even come close, as far as name reccognition.

However, IMO, about 50 % of that price differential is the "NAME RECCOGNITION" more that the difference in quality. H&H is another one that a bunch of the price point is the name engraved on the rifle. There are Army&Navy rifles that are as good, as far as practical quality goes.

You rarely see the name of Purdy metioned, simply because so few people can afford them, and the ones who do are usually rich collectors, who rarely take them afield. The H&H is actually more reccognized among the general public than Purdey.

It all boils down to the SNOB FACTOR, more than anything! Roll Eyes

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
It all boils down to the SNOB FACTOR, more than anything!

Partially true. However until you have owned, shot and then graded the Purdeys and H&Hs against the others, one really won't make the connection that there is a big difference in the quality of these guns versus lower priced pieces. Does the Buff, Ele, etc. care what you shoot him with? - hell no!

The top-end rifles really are the heat when it comes to performance and overall quality....Just think about a Z-06 Vette versus a Mercedes S600 V-12, yes the Vette is just about as fast, but that's where the similarities end. The Benz has it all!!! Same goes for high end DRs, Looks, quality, pride in ownership (better re-sale too!).

I personally own guns on both ends of the spectrum and pretty much think any DR that is reliable and shoots well is the name of the game....But, late at night, and after a few whiskeys and a cigar or two, I gotta admit that pulling out a fine DR and admiring it's opulance is sublime!!!

JW

One of Us
posted Hide Post
The Underlever Hammerless Purdey's never seemed to be that popular, and not that many around.

Any the top lever hammerless, even less around but the one's I have seen have been superb quality, as have other Purdey guns from the 1800's.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
H&H and Purdey are "THE" top of the line double rifles. It is because both companies insisted on uncompromising quality of compnents, design and wormanship.

465H&H

Posts: 5686 | Location: Nampa, Idaho | Registered: 10 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 465H&H:
H&H and Purdey are "THE" top of the line double rifles. It is because both companies insisted on uncompromising quality of compnents, design and wormanship.

465H&H

Agree 100%.

Built to a standard, not to a price.

One of Us
Picture of DuggaBoye
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mortician:

FYI: I just saw a Purdey 3 barrel set At Willoughby McCabe & Co here in Dallas.
www.wmandco.com

It is not on the web-site yet, I do not believe.

All scoped, .458Win was the biggest calibre, I think the other barrels were .375 and ?? 7mag, not sure.

$55K I think Patrick said.

DuggaBoye-O
NRA-Life
Whittington-Life
TSRA-Life
DRSS
DSC
HSC
SCI

Posts: 4593 | Location: TX | Registered: 03 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I couldn't find it on the site.

JW

One of Us
Picture of DuggaBoye
posted Hide Post
quote:
It is not on the web-site yet, I do not believe.

BTW, the calibres are .458Win Mag claw mount Kahles, .300 H&H claw mount Leupold and .270 Win. Warne/Talley style Leupold.

Sorry for the confusion.

DuggaBoye-O
NRA-Life
Whittington-Life
TSRA-Life
DRSS
DSC
HSC
SCI

Posts: 4593 | Location: TX | Registered: 03 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Granted, there is a lot of snob appeal with H&H and Purdey.

But, as was previously noted, John Taylor loved his Purdey 450/400. His other favorite was his Holland 465.

There may have been someone throughout history who was less interested in "snob appeal" than Taylor but I don't know who that might have been! Anyone who hunted with nothing on but a turban didn't really give a flying *#@*% what others thought!

I've tried to find a Purdey 450/400 but haven't ever even seen one.

Posts: 477 | Location: Arizona | Registered: 21 July 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JohnDL:

I've tried to find a Purdey 450/400 but haven't ever even seen one.

They don't seem to be that common.

I owned one and a mate currently owns another one but haven't seen too many others.

I am not a fan of the guns, just personal taste.

One of Us
Picture of retreever
posted Hide Post
How about the Wesley Richards doubles?

Mike

Michael Podwika... DRSS bigbores and hunting www.pvt.co.za " MAKE THE SHOT " 450#2 Famars

Posts: 6768 | Location: Wyoming, Pa. USA | Registered: 17 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Although Purdey's pioneered double rifle development during the percussion era; in fact they coined the term "express rifle"; they did not concentrate on rifle production much after 1880. Between 1880 and 2000, they only produced 450 or so hammerless doubles of all grades. At the same time H&H wooed the rifle market, and produced many thousands. Any Purdey double rifle is quite scarce. with only a small number over 1000 hammer and hammerless rifles being produced after 1875.

All the best, SXS

Posts: 29 | Location: Northeast USA | Registered: 31 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SXS:
Although Purdey's pioneered double rifle development during the percussion era; in fact they coined the term "express rifle"; they did not concentrate on rifle production much after 1880. Between 1880 and 2000, they only produced 450 or so hammerless doubles of all grades. At the same time H&H wooed the rifle market, and produced many thousands. Any Purdey double rifle is quite scarce. with only a small number over 1000 hammer and hammerless rifles being produced after 1875.

All the best, SXS

Very interesting info, thanks.
They are indeed very rare.

One of Us
Picture of 505ED
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by retreever:
How about the Wesley Richards doubles?

Mike

Mike I can think of nothing I'd like better than a droplock in WR! Maybe even a 476 like ol Elmers'

Ed

DRSS Member

Posts: 2289 | Location: Texas | Registered: 02 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I went out and shot a couple of rounds of 5 stand with my son last Friday.
After our first round, a gentleman asked if could join us and of course we abliged.
He was shooting a beautiful vintage sidelock 12 gauge.
After we shot our round he cased his shotgun. On the inside of the case was the PURDY logo. That is probably the first time I have seen a such a gun in the field.
I suppose I travel in the wrong crowd!
My top in SXS are Fox DE's and Piotti's. We were a little out classed! LOL

EZ

Posts: 3256 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:

You might have been outclassed by virtue that the Purdey is worth more money, but I can assure you that your Piotti is every bit as good from a functional and workmanship standpoint as that Purdey....I own both ad if I had to choose one for keeps, I'd take the Piotti for the mere fact that it will be less problematic due to the 7 pin design and Southgate ejector system!!!

As for the DE Fox; a true American classic -got one and love it!

All this coming from a devout Purdey collector!!!

JW

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jeff Wemmer:
quote:

You might have been outclassed by virtue that the Purdey is worth more money, but I can assure you that your Piotti is every bit as good from a functional and workmanship standpoint as that Purdey....I own both ad if I had to choose one for keeps, I'd take the Piotti for the mere fact that it will be less problematic due to the 7 pin design and Southgate ejector system!!!

As for the DE Fox; a true American classic -got one and love it!

All this coming from a devout Purdey collector!!!

JW

I need to stop by Jeff's place with a bottle of sour mash for a drink, visit and the to pet his Purdeys.

465H&H

Posts: 5686 | Location: Nampa, Idaho | Registered: 10 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Jeff,

I have never had the priviledge of handling a Purdy or a Royal grade H&H. Everyone that has will tell you it is something special.
As for the Fox's, I love them as well.
I saw this trim little 28 gauge king 1 Piotti a few years back and should never have picked it up!!! It never go after Bobs without it.

EZ

Posts: 3256 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
Any of you guys, other than Jeff who I know has, seen a new Purdey double shotguns lately? WOW! Yep craftsmanship says it all. Next time you get to Houston, Texas, give Dustin Mounts a call and go by and see the Purdey's he has in his shop.

Rusty
We Band of Brothers!
DRSS, NRA & SCI Life Member

"I am rejoiced at my fate. Do not be uneasy about me, for I am with my friends."
----- David Crockett in his last letter (to his children), January 9th, 1836
"I will never forsake Texas and her cause. I am her son." ----- Jose Antonio Navarro, from Mexican Prison in 1841
"for I have sworn upon the altar of god eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man." Thomas Jefferson
Declaration of Arbroath April 6, 1320-“. . .It is not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself.”

Posts: 9797 | Location: Missouri City, Texas | Registered: 21 June 2000Reply With Quote