THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM DOUBLE RIFLES FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Double Rifles    CZ 16 gauge to Double Conversion?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

CZ 16 gauge to Double Conversion?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Hi all,

I have a 16 gauge CZ S/S shotgun, it's marked "Special Poldi Elektro" and has a straight stock and ejectors. I was trying to sell it but then thought it might make a nice base for a double rifle If I had a set of barrels made up for it and had it restocked.

I have a 450/400 single shot in the pipeline so I would like something on the other end of the spectrum, perhaps .303 British or 6.5x53R. My question is do you think the action size of the 16 gauge CZ is suitable for the smaller calibres mentioned or would it be too heavy and clunky? Im not sure if its the same size as a 12 gauge action or if its been reduced in size proportionately, and Its not available at the moment to get any measurements from.

Is there a work around to get the ejectors to work with the shotgun shells and the rifle rounds? Id like to be able to use the shotgun barrels interchangeably.

Any input appreciated thanks!

Posts: 210 | Location: Zimbabwe | Registered: 16 September 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Matabele, I think you would indeed find it too heavy in something as light as .303. The Merkel 141 in 9,3X74R is built on a 28-gauge frame.

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16654 | Location: Las Cruces, NM | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hi Bill, thanks for the response. I got the same reply from Ron Vella who built a 9.3x74R on the 16 gauge action ,but he said it would indeed be too large for a .303 or 6.5.

Guess I will have to luck on a knocked up 28 gauge or start saving for a custom!

One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
I use Baikal 16 ga frames to build DRs on and they are the same size as 12 ga, and are definitely too clunky to use for a small caliber. Go with a 20 ga frame max. Of course, it would work. You would just have a lot of steel in the breech section.

Posts: 17291 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Dpcd: Didn't Butch Searcy start out building DG doubles on Browning BSS 20-gauge frames?

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16654 | Location: Las Cruces, NM | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Yes, I believe he did; the BSSs form an excellent basis for DRs.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the replies guys. Would a .410 action be too small then for a .303 or 6.5? I have read about Yildiz S/S's made in Turkey and they seem to be getting good reviews and the price is very reasonable. They make a .410 and 20 gauge S/S but no 28 gauge as yet.

One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
The Yildiz's look good; all I see here is over/unders. I got this pic from their web site, and it is supposed to be a 410. If so, it "looks" like a good candidate for a small cal DR.I would like to see one in person.

one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dpcd:
The Yildiz's look good; all I see here is over/unders. I got this pic from their web site, and it is supposed to be a 410. If so, it "looks" like a good candidate for a small cal DR.I would like to see one in person.

The 410 ga shotgun action is too small for mono-blocking to anything larger than cartridges formed from 38/357 mag size case; The 218 bee case or 256 win mag being about as large as is prudent for the new barrels, or .22hornet for mono-blocking of the shot barrels. Generally the 20 ga barrels are much better for the 303Britt size cartridges. One that would be better, as far ease of building loads, with the .308 diameter bullets being so plentiful would be the 30-30 or 30-40 Krieg. All of them producing less chamber pressure than the 30-06.

........................................................................................... coffee

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
What is the diameter of the Yildiz barrels at the monoblock?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I got hold of the Yildiz factory and enquired about buying a .410. Being in South Africa they would sell me one for $1,000 which is about double what you can get them for in the US sadly. What with shipping and duty and clearances fees etc its going to be cheaper finding something locally. I think they would make for a cool little double though. The receiver is an aluminium alloy, plenty strong from what Ive read and light weight but can only be blacked or left with the satin silver finish. Not a drawback really just an observation. A calibre that might be nice to try in that little double would be the 6x70R.

Dpcd, you could try contact the factory about your query they were pretty prompt in getting back to me.

One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Definitely do not buy one you can't see first and take measurements at both ends of the monoblock to make sure you have enough meat left in the barrels. I like to have at least .125 thick material in the barrel walls. I am working on a 9.3 on a 16 ga frame today and the walls are .145 thick. Aluminum receiver; No for me. I have not seen these in the US.

One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Yildiz answered my email; they said that their shotguns are imported by Academy Sports; none of their stores are anywhere near me. And they didn't answer my questions about barrel diameters. $486 is the price for .410 and 20 ga.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Its a pity there are no Yildiz near you to check out dpcd, it would have been nice to get your opinion on them. Please post some pics of the build on the 9.3 though, if you dont mind sharing that would be great to check out!

One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
That old thread on my 9.3 build is now back up on top.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks dpcd, love those types of threads!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
dpcd: i have a yildiz 4-10 i bought 2 years ago it is still new unfired in the box. if you tell me what measurements you want ill be glad to record them for you.

One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
GREAT; we need to know if the 410 is built on a 28 ga frame, or a true 410 one. Barrel outside diameter for one barrelat the breech, and at the front of the monoblock; you will be able to see a line there; in any case, it will be at the end of the water table. Thanks for your help.