Find
Notify
Tools

Red Dot on a Merkel -Help
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of vlwtx348
posted
I have a Merkel 141 double that I am tempted to put a Burris Fast Fire III red dot sight on.

The rifle is not set up for a scope but has the rectangular plate towards the receiver. That plate is too narrow to D&T and simply attach the red dot to it.

I have done a little searching, but rather than re-invent the wheel (and make expensive mistakes) I decided to ask here....

What parts/adapters do I need to mount a Burris Fast Fire III to my Merkel 141 9.3x74R? Any links would be a appreciated.

Posts: 310 | Location: NE Texas | Registered: 12 February 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
PM mdstewart, Mike used to be a Merkel retailer.

Posts: 20164 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of vlwtx348
posted Hide Post
Thanks, Biebs.

Looks like Recknagel may make what I need if I can figure out if that metal plate is 14 or 15mm (measures at 0.575" or 14.6mm) and 20 or 30 degrees.

One of Us
Picture of DuggaBoye
posted Hide Post
Henneberger makes them.

They are the same as the Docter III base.

http://www.henneberger.de

https://www.optics-trade.eu/us/

DuggaBoye-O
NRA-Life
Whittington-Life
TSRA-Life
DRSS
DSC
HSC
SCI

Posts: 4593 | Location: TX | Registered: 03 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of vlwtx348
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DuggaBoye:
Henneberger makes them.

They are the same as the Docter III base.

http://www.henneberger.de

https://www.optics-trade.eu/us/

Thanks.

They are sure proud of those. Still not sure which one I would need.
That Prism 14-15mm mount might work. I'll see if I can get an anwer from Merkel

One of Us
posted Hide Post
My Merkel 140 is fitted with an EAW front pivot mount base and I have a Burris Fastfire mounted on it with MAK Maklik mount. Low mount height, easy on-off, and one locking lever operation. I like it a lot. The forward position of the mount is an advantage when carrying the rifle in one hand, it does not interfere with the balance point.

Posts: 237 | Location: Saskatchewan, Canada | Registered: 24 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of vlwtx348
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Longwalker:
My Merkel 140 is fitted with an EAW front pivot mount base and I have a Burris Fastfire mounted on it with MAK Maklik mount. Low mount height, easy on-off, and one locking lever operation. I like it a lot. The forward position of the mount is an advantage when carrying the rifle in one hand, it does not interfere with the balance point.

Mine does not have a forward scope mount. I will need something for the rear.
Or....I may put it on my Sabatti .45-70. I hate to, as it is very accurate with open sights.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I sent my Merkel to Herbert at Merkel USA in Alabama. He drilled and tapped the rib and milled out a slot in the belly of a weaver rail type mount and mounted it over the rib a little recessed and put a red dot on the weaver style mount. Worked well.

BUTCH

C'est Tout Bon
(It is all good)

Posts: 1928 | Location: Lafayette, LA | Registered: 05 October 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of vlwtx348
posted Hide Post
I found a sight base from Rusan (Serbia) that works great. It was reasonably priced and fit right on the factory plate.

I also ordered on for a 12mm rib to try it on my Sabatti.

If I ever get a slowdown on all my overtime at work, I will zero it and regulate the barrels and post an update.

One of Us
Picture of nitro450exp
posted Hide Post
Steel weaver rail from Brownells.
Cut to length and height.
Drill and counter bore.
Viola.
Mount made.
I also ran a ball mill down the center for iron sight visibility.

Nitro

"Man is a predator or at least those of us that kill and eat our own meat are. The rest are scavengers, eating what others kill for them." Hugh Randall
DRSS, BASA
470 Krieghoff, 45-70 inserts, 12 ga paradox, 20 ga DR Simson/Schimmel, 12 ga DR O/U Famars, 12 ga DR SXS Greener

Posts: 813 | Location: USA / RSA | Registered: 14 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Slider
posted Hide Post
quote:
I sent my Merkel to Herbert at Merkel USA in Alabama. He drilled and tapped the rib and milled out a slot in the belly of a weaver rail type mount and mounted it over the rib a little recessed and put a red dot on the weaver style mount. Worked well.

What did they charge you?

Posts: 2694 | Location: East Wenatchee | Registered: 18 August 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of SFRanger7GP
posted Hide Post
Give JJ Perodeau a call.

You have a buddy that has a similar rifle with a Leupold VX-R 1.25 - 4 in recknagel mounts. I have heard he is quite the international beast slayer with that set up.

Hang in there Buddy!

Posts: 887 | Location: Wichita Falls Texas or Colombia | Registered: 25 February 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sorry can't remember the cost.

BUTCH

C'est Tout Bon
(It is all good)

Posts: 1928 | Location: Lafayette, LA | Registered: 05 October 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of vlwtx348
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SFRanger7GP:
Give JJ Perodeau a call.

You have a buddy that has a similar rifle with a Leupold VX-R 1.25 - 4 in recknagel mounts. I have heard he is quite the international beast slayer with that set up.

Hang in there Buddy!

I don't trust that guy.....

Every time he pulls the trigger, instead of going BANG his gun goes, BANG BANG! rotflmo

No need to send to a gunsmith. I can D&T if I need to. But the Merkel already had a factory plate....
I would have ordered Recknagel mounts, but any dealer I found also wanted to sell me a mounting plate or gunsmithing services. Didn't need either.
I have high hopes for this Rusan mount. Just gotta find time to shoot.

posted Hide Post
Which mount did you get from Rusan that fits the Merkel

One of Us
Picture of vlwtx348
posted Hide Post
Rusan QR mount for Docter/Fastfire

This one fit mine perfectly

One of Us
Picture of SFRanger7GP
posted Hide Post
Its a double rifle; so I "double tap" anything that shows continued resistance. That also breaks in both barrels equally. Big Grin

Posts: 887 | Location: Wichita Falls Texas or Colombia | Registered: 25 February 2011Reply With Quote