THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM DOUBLE RIFLES FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Double Rifles    Shooting the Heym 470 this weekend
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Shooting the Heym 470 this weekend
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Gentlemen,

I have received my Hornady 470 DGX bullets today and found some DGS's on the shelf at a local store .
Wife is out of town so I have a long kitchen pass this weekend. I wanted to run some of this new ammo through my shootin' iron and chrono it as well. I have some federals I will check velocity on too.
I will probably never shoot an elephant however I would like to sling some lead at a buffalo one day with this gun.
Would you suggest I shoot the DGX in the right barrel and the DGS in the left for patterning?
I think I have my shooting stance down! If any of you fellows are in the Dallas area with double experience and would like to make a trip to the range, let me know.

By the way, these DGS bullets have a fairly large Meplat in 470 caliber. The 375 and 416 were about the same; pretty small.

EZ

Posts: 3256 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 January 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I would do a parallell load development with the Solids and the Softs.

Start low and work up. Label and keep all your targets. That way after a bit of shooting you can see what trends your rifle has.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Let me say I received the Hornady cartridges, not bullets. Perhaps I was not to clear.
I thought I would try the factory fodder and keep the brass for load development from there.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by eezridr:
Let me say I received the Hornady cartridges, not bullets. Perhaps I was not to clear.
I thought I would try the factory fodder and keep the brass for load development from there.

In that case I would shoot softs and solids in both the right and left barrel.

When I hunted buff i usually had a soft in the right barel, and a solid in the left.

On follow up, or the approach of a downed buff I had 2 solids.

Except once when hunting close to a herd, then I might did all the shooting with softs.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Agree......you need softs and solids to shoot to same poi in both barrels. Get a base line with the factory ammo....then you'll know whether or not you need to go up slightly or down slightly. Most times the solids take a grain or so LESS powder to get to same velocity and poi.

Good luck.

Gary
DRSS
NRA Lifer
SCI
DSC

Posts: 1970 | Location: NE Georgia, USA | Registered: 21 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I was able to test out the new Hornady DGS ammo this weekend and I also tested the Federal 470 out of the Heym
It was 90-92 degrees outside. I fired 10 Hornady rounds and the last 3 Federals (Woodleigh solids)

1) 470 Nitro (Heym 88)Shooting off sticks
Velocity (Oehler 35)

A) Hornady DGS (10 rounds)
1) High; 2179
2) Low; 2139
3) Avg; 2156
4) Std dev. 15

B) Federal Woodleigh solids (3 rounds)
1) High; 2204
2) Low; 2169
3) Avg; 2183
4) Std Dev. 18

3" pattern at 6 o'clock

barrels became very hot!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Very nice velocities from both the Hornady and the Federal, it's great to see some spot on velocity from any factory DR ammo.

"An individual with experience is never at the mercies of an individual with an argument"

Posts: 1827 | Location: Palmer AK & Prescott Valley AZ | Registered: 01 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The velocity that you recorded with the Federal woodleigh loads is almost exactly what I got with using Graeme Wright's Federal factory duplication load. I loaded 87gr of RL15 with 500gr Woodleigh softnose and #2 Kynoch wads. The temperature that evening was high 80's. Was the point of impact of the Hornady loads the same as the Federal loads? I just got in a box of the Hornady DGX to try this weekend and compare to my handloads.

Posts: 892 | Location: Central North Carolina | Registered: 04 October 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Point of impact was the same with both loads out of my rifle. I was shooting the DGS at this point. I have some DGX but did not get around to trying them. My barrel as getting too hot and I was tiring of the heat as well and 10 AR-15 guys playing army unloading clips ASAP.

EZ

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I just got in from my weekly trip to the range. I shot some of the Hornady DGX rounds that I finaly got this week. I fired six rounds at 50yds off the stix and broke six clay targets so I turned to 100yds and fired two more and broke two clay targets there as well off the stix. These seemn to shoot exactly like my reloads with Woodleighs. I did not chrono or put them on paper. I am one month from going on my buffalo hunt so everythng right now is off shooting stix.

Posts: 892 | Location: Central North Carolina | Registered: 04 October 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Ed

If you can break clay birds off sticks at 100 yards you are good to go. thumb

One of Us
posted Hide Post
N E 450 No2

Thanks, I wish I could say I could do that consistently. I worked up a load for this 470 last fall and I have been shooting it almost every weekend since about mid December. I can generally keep it in about a 5" circle at 100yds off the sticks. I am pretty consistent at breaking clay targets at 50yds now. The PH I will be hunting with said he would prefer to be within 60 meters if I am using the double on Cape Buffalo. At this point I am only shooting 6-10 rounds on sunday morning at the range. I usually shoot 4 rounds at 50 and 2 rounds at 100yds. I take a small caliber to just practice on the stix.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Ed

You have a good training plan.

If you can hit a 5" circle at 100 yards off of sticks that is plenty good.

Heck if you can hit a 9" pie pan the buff do not stand a chance.

One of Us
Picture of Dave Bush
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ed Scarboro:
At this point I am only shooting 6-10 rounds on sunday morning at the range. I usually shoot 4 rounds at 50 and 2 rounds at 100yds. I take a small caliber to just practice on the stix.

Ed, is this before or after church? Wink

Dave
DRSS
Chapuis 9.3X74
Chapuis "Jungle" .375 FL
Krieghoff 500/.416 NE
Krieghoff 500 NE

"Git as close as y can laddie an then git ten yards closer"

"If the biggest, baddest animals on the planet are on the menu, and you'd rather pay a taxidermist than a mortician, consider the 500 NE as the last word in life insurance." Hornady Handbook of Cartridge Reloading (8th Edition).

Posts: 3728 | Location: Midwest | Registered: 26 November 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
After early service in the winter and before regular service in the summer.