Find
Notify
Tools

Woodleigh Reloading Manual
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of subsailor74
posted
I would venture to say that almost all of us who shoot double rifles have either shot Woodleigh bullets in the past or shoot them now in our vintage and new double rifles. In the past, reloading data for these bullets seemed a bit sparse, but that has now been corrected. During my last order of Woodleigh bullets from Huntington's, I was asked if I knew about the new Woodleigh Reloading Manual. I did not, and I immediately ordered one - I think it was $42. Anyway, it looks like a great reference for the double rifle handloader for rounds up to and including the .700NE. It also contains loading data for magazine rifles starting at 6.5mm. I have just started reading this book, but it looks like a real winner to me.

Posts: 1594 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 29 September 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sailor...does the manual have data for the 404 Jeffery?

Posts: 362 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: 25 July 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of subsailor74
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 7kongoni:
Sailor...does the manual have data for the 404 Jeffery?

Yes it does

Posts: 1594 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 29 September 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
+1, the manual is a great addition to the reloading bench library.

Mike

Posts: 21381 | Registered: 03 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Subsailor74, Thanks for the heads-up! Just ordered one from Midway.....in stock for $34.99. Andy#3

Posts: 108 | Location: Idaho | Registered: 29 January 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Classic shooting.com has them @34.95 and free shipping

NRA Life Member, ILL Rifle Assoc Life Member, Navy

Posts: 2300 | Location: Monee, Ill. USA | Registered: 11 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
This is a great relaoding manual. Thanks for bringing it up sub sailor.

It contains much reloading data for double, single and magazine rifles.

That and Graeme Wright's book "Shooting the British Double Rifle" should be part of every double rifle nuts kit!

DRSS

Posts: 1929 | Location: Australia | Registered: 25 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jorge
posted Hide Post
Admiral, any loads for "our" cartridge, 450 NE? now does it compare with what I shared with you?
J

USN (ret)
DRSS Verney-Carron 450NE
Cogswell & Harrison 375 Fl NE
Sabatti Big Five 375 FL Magnum NE
DSC Life Member
NRA Life Member

Posts: 7145 | Location: Orange Park, Florida. USA | Registered: 22 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I think its a great book but many of the loads are below my standard which is Nick Harvey Ed 9. No big thing, its well thought out and quality made.

One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
On a somewhat related note since Dave mentioned getting the Woodleigh manual from Huntington's, just a quick plug for Huntington's. If you are a double rifle shooter or enjoy other big bore or obscure cartridges, these folks deserve your support. They keep in stock an excellent variety of brass, bullets, dies and other components for nitro express and double rifle calibers. Personally, I have always found dealing with them pleasant and efficient.

Mike

one of us
posted Hide Post
mjines,
I agree, that adrenaline rush just can't be mimicked, it last forever. for those who hunt and declare against it, they should be ashamed.

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41973 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
It is about time someone came out with a load manual that includes all the big bore double rifle loading info! I will order one from Huntington today!

....................................................................... old

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of cal pappas
posted Hide Post
I have and treasure mine.
Only problem, no 4-bore data.
Cal

Cal Pappas, Willow, Alaska
www.CalPappas.com
www.CalPappas.blogspot.com
1994 Zimbabwe
1997 Zimbabwe
1998 Zimbabwe
1999 Zimbabwe
1999 Namibia, Botswana, Zambia--vacation
2000 Australia
2002 South Africa
2003 South Africa
2003 Zimbabwe
2005 South Africa
2005 Zimbabwe
2006 Tanzania
2006 Zimbabwe--vacation
2007 Zimbabwe--vacation
2008 Zimbabwe
2012 Australia
2013 South Africa
2013 Zimbabwe
2013 Australia
2016 Zimbabwe
2017 Zimbabwe
2018 South Africa
2018 Zimbabwe--vacation
2019 South Africa
2019 Botswana
2019 Zimbabwe vacation
2021 South Africa
2021 South Africa (2nd hunt a month later)

Posts: 7281 | Location: Willow, Alaska | Registered: 29 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of subsailor74
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jorge:
Admiral, any loads for "our" cartridge, 450 NE? now does it compare with what I shared with you?
J

Jorge - several loads for the 450 3 ¼ - they compare favorably with the loads we are using

One of Us
Picture of subsailor74
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MJines:
On a somewhat related note since Dave mentioned getting the Woodleigh manual from Huntington's, just a quick plug for Huntington's. If you are a double rifle shooter or enjoy other big bore or obscure cartridges, these folks deserve your support. They keep in stock an excellent variety of brass, bullets, dies and other components for nitro express and double rifle calibers. Personally, I have always found dealing with them pleasant and efficient.

++++++1

one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
I've simply got to order this book. Thanks for the heads up. Also agree that Buzz Huntington runs a great shop.

beer

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16531 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cal pappas:
I have and treasure mine.
Only problem, no 4-bore data.
Cal

Cal, send Woodleigh all your loading info so they can add it in their next addition. Add some pictures of your 4 bore and shooting showing recoil!
.................................................................... tu2

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Ordered mine from Classic Shooting, whom I was unaware of. Sure wish they offered 2 1/2-inch shells in 16 gauge.

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16531 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jorge
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by subsailor74:
quote:
Originally posted by jorge:
J

Jorge - several loads for the 450 3 ¼ - they compare favorably with the loads we are using

Copy, thank you, sir

USN (ret)
DRSS Verney-Carron 450NE
Cogswell & Harrison 375 Fl NE
Sabatti Big Five 375 FL Magnum NE
DSC Life Member
NRA Life Member

Posts: 7145 | Location: Orange Park, Florida. USA | Registered: 22 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Grenadier
posted Hide Post

Posts: 10900 | Location: North of the Columbia | Registered: 28 April 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Have to agree , great book but it always amazes me how you blokes get our products ( Aussie powder, projectiles and now reloading manuals ) cheaper than what we can purchase here in Australia. Just a little bit pissed off. cuckoo

Posts: 29 | Location: QLD Australia | Registered: 17 December 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of nitro450exp
posted Hide Post
Hello
Does this have US powders in it?
Last time I got an off shore manual (Norma) it had no US powder data.

Thanks
Nitro

"Man is a predator or at least those of us that kill and eat our own meat are. The rest are scavengers, eating what others kill for them." Hugh Randall
DRSS, BASA
470 Krieghoff, 45-70 inserts, 12 ga paradox, 20 ga DR Simson/Schimmel, 12 ga DR O/U Famars, 12 ga DR SXS Greener

Posts: 813 | Location: USA / RSA | Registered: 14 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by nitro450exp:
Hello
Does this have US powders in it?
Last time I got an off shore manual (Norma) it had no US powder data.

Thanks
Nitro

Yes.

Mike

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Dave, thanks....just ordered mine.

Posts: 20139 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote