THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM DOUBLE RIFLES FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Double Rifles    What exactly is the .450 Express?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What exactly is the .450 Express?
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of bwanamrm
posted
Saw a well priced Westley Richards for sale in .450 Express. I know the .450 NE but due to the various British calibers and their propensity to create proprietary cartridges for their guns I was unsure of what this is. Anyone know?

On the plains of hesitation lie the bleached bones of ten thousand, who on the dawn of victory lay down their weary heads resting, and there resting, died.

If you can talk with crowds and keep your virtue,
Or walk with Kings - nor lose the common touch...
Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it,
And - which is more - you'll be a Man, my son!
- Rudyard Kipling

Life grows grim without senseless indulgence.

Posts: 7531 | Location: Victoria, Texas | Registered: 30 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The origional Black Powder version?

Posts: 20086 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Probably the BP 450 caliber. Is the gun nitro proofed and how much does it weigh?

Ken

one of us
posted Hide Post
Kind sir,
I believe many older British rifles are a mystery unto themselves. I recently had the privilege to service a Westley Richards M1897 single shot in .450 Express that was made well after 1900. Although the barrel was marked for Nitro Express cartridges and had British proof stamps for Nitro (smokeless) cartridges, this, as new, rifle would not chamber any .450 Express--.450 x 3 1/14" NE--cartridges. I was able to make this pristine rifle usable only by reaming the chamber to accept modern .450 x 3 1/4" ammunition. A significant amount of steel was removed from the chamber. I am not a run of the mill gun plumber.

I have no idea about standards in the British gun trade in the early 1900s, but it seems obvious that there were no "standards". Everything was proprietary, and God help the ammunition manufacturer who had to make cartridges to fit rifles from different makers. Dealing with these beautifully made old British rifles can be a challenge. SAAMI and CIP dimensions are available on line. A chamber cast compared with these dimensions may be helpful.

As much as I admire the grace and workmanship of older British rifles, everything about them is a crap shoot. Nothing was "standard". Even things like screw sizes are problematical. It's like every maker made their own peculiarly sized screws. While it's unconscionable for a thoroughly refined gun crank to compare a pre-1900 Winchester lever gun to a lovely, Alex Henry, Jeffery, or Gibbs rifle from the same era, it's a safe bet that a certain size screw, say 10-36, will fit any Winchester on the planet, while the same cannot be said for British manufacturers, including some as basic as chamber dimensions.

Good luck with your rifle.

Roger

Posts: 475 | Location: Fayetteville, GA | Registered: 12 August 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of bwanamrm
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the reply... the rifle is on Steve Barnett's website under Double Rifles. Probably a reason it's priced the way it is. Casting chambers and making brass don't fall into my wheelhouse!

On the plains of hesitation lie the bleached bones of ten thousand, who on the dawn of victory lay down their weary heads resting, and there resting, died.

If you can talk with crowds and keep your virtue,
Or walk with Kings - nor lose the common touch...
Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it,
And - which is more - you'll be a Man, my son!
- Rudyard Kipling

Life grows grim without senseless indulgence.

Posts: 7531 | Location: Victoria, Texas | Registered: 30 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Brain1
posted Hide Post
I have a Rigby made in 1879. It is chambered in 500/450 #1 Express. It is a rimmed bottleneck cartridge. One of many 450's out there.

You can borrow money, but you can't borrow time. Don't wait, go now.
Savannah Safaris Namibia
Otjitambi Trails & Safaris
DRSS
NRA
SCI
DSC
TSRA
TMPA

Posts: 1241 | Location: Bridgeport, Tx | Registered: 20 May 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of bpesteve
posted Hide Post
Since the rifle in question is a Westley Richards, my first guess is that it is chambered for the 500/450 No.1 BPE 2-3/4" necked cartridge (mentioned just above, and sometimes just referred to as the No.1 Express) that was brought out by W-R. The other possibility is that it is chambered for the even more popular, though not W-R designed, 450 3-1/4" BPE straight cartridge. These two are pretty much ballistic equals. The 3-1/4" version later evolved into the 450 Nitro Express 3-1/4" which became a standard in dangerous game fields.

Chamber casting, particularly in break-open arms, is very easy using a product called 'Cerrosafe'.

Posts: 969 | Location: paradise with an ocean view | Registered: 09 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Huvius
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bwanamrm:
Thanks for the reply... the rifle is on Steve Barnett's website under Double Rifles. Probably a reason it's priced the way it is. Casting chambers and making brass don't fall into my wheelhouse!

That rifle looks to have been engraved somewhere other than at WR.
Very probably in India.

The 450 No.1 Express is indeed a great cartridge no doubt.

Posts: 3239 | Location: Colorado U.S.A. | Registered: 24 December 2004Reply With Quote