New
Find
Notify
Tools

416 Rigby double rifle
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I know where there is a real nice English double rifle in 416 Rigby not flanged 416. Is that a real problem?

Posts: 307 | Location: Dye Mound , Texas | Registered: 06 December 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The HUNTER of D/G MUST be confident that the rifle will eject or

extract reliably time and again. That's what it comes down to. If

you ain't shootin' D/G your own safety is not at risk.

Jack

OH GOD! {Seriously, we need the help.}

Posts: 2791 | Location: USA - East Coast | Registered: 10 December 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Rimless cartridges are disfavored by most double rifles afficianodos.

The rifle ought to be selling at a substantial discount.

I shoot two rimless, belted cartridge double rifles, a 458wm and a 375H&H and I have had no issues. I am more than confident enough to hunt elephants at very close range with my 458wm, have done so many times, will do so in the fututure many times, God willing.

Stepping back a bit, I am usure if you know why some frown on rimless cartridges in double rifles, so I will briefly explain the two major areas of concern.

1.) The turn of the century Nitro Express cartrisges developed for single shot and double rifles were low pressure rounds. Pressure measurement methodology used then does not translate well into current methodology and readings since back the the measurement was breach pressure as measured in tons per square inch rather than chamber pressure. But, in any event, the pressures of NE catridges is significantly lower.

Almost all rimless or belted rimless cartridges produce higher pressures. The lock up mechanics of the double rifle do not match a bolt action, falling block or other high strength action and so higher pressures may be inappropriate for double rifles, and I argue, especially older rifles built with steel of lesser consistency and stregnth that modern steels. And it isn't a question of safety so mauch as a question of hinge pin longevity, how long the rifle will remain on face, how long the interval between re-jointing.

IMO, well fitted third fasteners - beyond the standard double Purdey under bites, re-inforced action bars, radiused bar/breach angle and modern steel add up to more that sufficient strength for the higher pressure rounds. My own rifle proves my point, with over 800 high pressure 458wm round fired without substantial wear. (High pressure nay sayers frequently cite rifles going off face in a few hunered rounds, or even less, as a common symptom of high pressure rifles, but with a well built rifle and proper care this just isn't so. I believe the alleged citations are simply poor or poorly maintained rifles.)

2.) The simple extractor/ejector mechanism of the rimmed cartridges vs. the more complex and arguably less robust pawl system used in rimless double rifles.

Some argue that with rimless or rimless and belted cartridges that the extractor pawl that engages the groove may slip past the base of the case, trapping the full or empty cartridge in the chamber and the pawl between the base and the rifle's standing breach.

There have been some first hand reports of rimless cartridge rifles doing this, none I have read of rimless belted catridge rifles. I believe any instinces of this occuring are operator error, as explained below.

I believe that since SAAMI and CIP chamber specs permitt the belted cartridges to head space on the belt that the belt would stop the case from moving deep enough into the chamber to allow for the pawl to slip over the base, no matter how well or how poorly the brass was sized.

For a cartridge without a belt, I could see this happening, but the rifle would have to be very poorly fitted or the brass would have to be very poorly sized, with the shoulder too far back and the taper diameter too tight, which would enable the cartridge to slide into the chamber too far. But then, shooting that rifle in any event, with that improperly sized round, would be shooting an out of spec combo with excessive head space to begin with.

So, my advice, look, but also insist on shooting many rounds - maybe a box of 20 - before buying. And if you do buy, make damn sure that your sized cartridges are a perfect and snug fit IN YOUR CHAMBERS, so that the rounds will drop into the gun and close with slight pressure from contact between chamber and cartridge shoulder.

Hope this helps,

JPK

Free 500grains

Posts: 4900 | Location: Chevy Chase, Md. | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JPK:

I shoot two rimless, belted cartridge double rifles, a 458wm and a 375H&H and I have had no issues. I am more than confident enough to hunt elephants at very close range with my 458wm, have done so many times, will do so in the fututure many times, God willing.

Stepping back a bit, I am usure if you know why some frown on rimless cartridges in double rifles, so I will briefly explain the two major areas of concern.

1.) The turn of the century Nitro Express cartrisges developed for single shot and double rifles were low pressure rounds. Pressure measurement methodology used then does not translate well into current methodology and readings since back the the measurement was breach pressure as measured in tons per square inch rather than chamber pressure. But, in any event, the pressures of NE catridges is significantly lower.

Almost all rimless or belted rimless cartridges produce higher pressures. The lock up mechanics of the double rifle do not match a bolt action, falling block or other high strength action and so higher pressures may be inappropriate for double rifles, and I argue, especially older rifles built with steel of lesser consistency and stregnth that modern steels. And it isn't a question of safety so mauch as a question of hinge pin longevity, how long the rifle will remain on face, how long the interval between re-jointing.

IMO, well fitted third fasteners - beyond the standard double Purdey under bites, re-inforced action bars, radiused bar/breach angle and modern steel add up to more that sufficient strength for the higher pressure rounds. My own rifle proves my point, with over 800 high pressure 458wm round fired without substantial wear. (High pressure nay sayers frequently cite rifles going off face in a few hunered rounds, or even less, as a common symptom of high pressure rifles, but with a well built rifle and proper care this just isn't so. I believe the alleged citations are simply poor or poorly maintained rifles.)

2.) The simple extractor/ejector mechanism of the rimmed cartridges vs. the more complex and arguably less robust pawl system used in rimless double rifles.

Some argue that with rimless or rimless and belted cartridges that the extractor pawl that engages the groove may slip past the base of the case, trapping the full or empty cartridge in the chamber and the pawl between the base and the rifle's standing breach.

There have been some first hand reports of rimless cartridge rifles doing this, none I have read of rimless belted catridge rifles. I believe any instinces of this occuring are operator error, as explained below.

I believe that since SAAMI and CIP chamber specs permitt the belted cartridges to head space on the belt that the belt would stop the case from moving deep enough into the chamber to allow for the pawl to slip over the base, no matter how well or how poorly the brass was sized.

For a cartridge without a belt, I could see this happening, but the rifle would have to be very poorly fitted or the brass would have to be very poorly sized, with the shoulder too far back and the taper diameter too tight, which would enable the cartridge to slide into the chamber too far. But then, shooting that rifle in any event, with that improperly sized round, would be shooting an out of spec combo with excessive head space to begin with.

So, my advice, look, but also insist on shooting many rounds - maybe a box of 20 - before buying. And if you do buy, make damn sure that your sized cartridges are a perfect and snug fit IN YOUR CHAMBERS, so that the rounds will drop into the gun and close with slight pressure from contact between chamber and cartridge shoulder.

Hope this helps,

JPK

I dont agre that the rifle should be selling at a substantial discount due to its rimless cartridge feature. There's plenty of folks that love the 416 in a double, though rare as the cartridge is in a DR. Is the gun in question a Daniel Fraser 416? This issue is more related to vintage guns that were not built properly for the cal, and vintage cartridges and there powders and primers.

I own quite a few rimless and rebated rim doubles, and have never had an issue nor has anyone else I know with similar guns. In fact the WR 425 I have sold for a premium as well as the Purdey 375 Belted I just moved for insane money.

It really depends more on the maker of the gun in the double rifle collectors eyes rather than the type of calibre, from my own experience. Certain calibre's will bring a premium over others, but that will always hold true no matter what the trend is.

Posts: 108 | Location: USA, Surrey, Loire France  | Registered: 03 March 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Great explanation JPK! catos, are you sure it is an "English" double?
Peter.

Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong;

Posts: 10515 | Location: Jacksonville, Florida | Registered: 09 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The rifle is a Bently and Playfair . Don't know if I spelled it right. Guess it's English.

Posts: 307 | Location: Dye Mound , Texas | Registered: 06 December 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 470Evans
posted Hide Post
If that's the one at Cabelas in Ft.Worth it was originally a 400/360. I wasn't very impressed with it.

Posts: 1311 | Location: Texas | Registered: 29 August 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 470Evans:
If that's the one at Cabelas in Ft.Worth it was originally a 400/360. I wasn't very impressed with it.

How do you go from a 400/360 to a 416 ?

Was it rebarrelled ?

Posts: 3191 | Location: Victoria, Australia | Registered: 01 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
It was at Cabelas . Don't know if it's still there. Cased and all the goodies. The barrels look original. Started at 25 or so now it's less. Go look today.

one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SINNER:
quote:

JPK

It is true that most rimless, and belted rimless double rifle sell for far less than the more traditional NE chamberings in calibers used for dangerous game. those normally sell to collectors who rarely shoot anything other than paper with the rifle if anything at all.

[QUOYE]by sinner
I dont agre that the rifle should be selling at a substantial discount due to its rimless cartridge feature. There's plenty of folks that love the 416 in a double, though rare as the cartridge is in a DR.

In fact the WR 425 I have sold for a premium as well as the Purdey 375 Belted I just moved for insane money.

sinner the reason those double rifles are rare is because nobody ordered them to be built back when! The ones that were sold have usually been sold many times in thier life time, and in most cases IMO they were replaced with a flanged chambering. If you will notice most of the doubles you see with rimless, and belted rimless cartridges are most times in like new shape. That is because they weren't used long.

quote:
by sinner
It really depends more on the maker of the gun in the double rifle collectors eyes rather than the type of calibre, from my own experience. Certain calibre's will bring a premium over others, but that will always hold true no matter what the trend is.

sinner
The above portion of your post is absolutely correct! the reason anything is rare is, in most cases, because they were not too successful, and didn't sell well.

This is where the COLLECTOR comes into the game. What attracts him is the NAME of the maker, and the rarity of the example. That has nothing to do with the utility of the rifle or it's reliability.

On this thread we are basicly talking about dangerous game rifles that will be used for that purpose, and the rarity of the chambering in the rifle is, at most, secondary to utiility for the guy who will actually use the rifle for hunting the bite-backs!

Most collector's doubles will never see the bush, or anything more dangerous than a paper target! The pressures the cartridges develope is not a worry in doubles made of modern steel, and sized to handle the pressures developed by there more modern cartridges. That fact has nothing to do with the reliability of the platform required to facilitate the extraction. or ejection of the rifle. Also with many of these doubles one cannot simply place the bullet in the chamber opening, and let them slide home on a fast re-load for shots three and four, but must be pushed passed the pawls to let the cartridges be pushed into the cambers on closinge, making it hard to re-load both barrels semiltainously.

It is, after all, simply a matter of choice which you buy, and use, or hang on the wall and look at. However, one must be willing to live or die with the consequences of that choice.

I know a lot of double rifle owners, and I'm not talking about two or three, but close to a couple hundred, and only maybe 10% of them will use a dangerous game double rifle chambered for a rimless, or belted rimless cartridge. For the doubles used for large non-dangerous game it is another story. JPK uses both his light, and heavy double rifle for the game the cartridges were made for, and so far, he's had no problem that I am aware of! That is good for him, and my hopes are that his luck continues.

Even when JPK bought his 458 Win Mag double rifle he intended to have it rechambered for 450NE 3 1/4" flanged, but decided to leave it as is for a time to see if it needed re-chambering. So far he is happy with it! for me personally the re-chamber would have been a no brainer before I took it into the bush for anything that bites, stomps, or gores, and most double rifle owners I know would have either passed the rifle or had JJ re-chamber it.

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
To bad that is a nice gun to be left to rot in a display case. Can't be chambered to any thing else. Just lying there waiting for adventure that will never come.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Mac,

You quote bellow leads to a couple of questions:

1. How many of those several hundred double rifle owners have owned a rimless or belted rimless chambered double rifle?

2. How many of them have hunted dangerous game?

3. How many have had an issue with extraction or ejection OF THEIR RIFLE OWN rimless or belted rimless chambered rifle" In other words, how many have experienced a problem FIRST HAND?

I think the issue is much talk and few incidents. Like 470 Woodleighs veering in game. Has it happened? Surely. Will it happen again? Surely. Is it something to fret over? No, the incidence of a problem is so low it is not worth considering, and you can count on reliable performance every time. And the 470 Woodleigh veering is random, while the extractor ejection concern can be put to rest through trial, to make sure the rifle functions properly. The concern regarding the 470 bullets applies to primers, and similar to the concern over extraction are firing pins, springs...

Interestingly, the more you test those parts, the more likely they are to fail!

quote:
I know a lot of double rifle owners, and I'm not talking about two or three, but close to a couple hundred, and only maybe 10% of them will use a dangerous game double rifle chambered for a rimless, or belted rimless cartridge. For the doubles used for large non-dangerous game it is another story. JPK uses both his light, and heavy double rifle for the game the cartridges were made for, and so far, he's had no problem that I am aware of! That is good for him, and my hopes are that his luck continues.

JPK

Free 500grains

Posts: 4900 | Location: Chevy Chase, Md. | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Will
posted Hide Post
JPK,

Now if you are happy so be it. I had one of those early 8 lb. Heyms in .375 H&H. Never had a bit of trouble. But I wouldn't go out of my way to buy a double in a rimless cartridge.

Now if was free, maybe.

-------------------------------
Will Stewart / Once you've been amongst them, there is no such thing as too much gun.
---------------------------------------
and, God Bless John Wayne.

NRA Benefactor Member, GOA, N.A.G.R.

"Elephant and Elephant Guns" $99 shipped
“Hunting Africa's Dangerous Game" $20 shipped.

red.dirt.elephant@gmail.com

Hoping to wind up where elephant hunters go.

Posts: 19334 | Location: Ocala Flats | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by catosilvaje:
To bad that is a nice gun to be left to rot in a display case.
Can't be chambered to any thing else. Just lying there waiting
for adventure that will never come.

Couldn't somebody custom order brass, (from RMC for example) to have 416 Rigby

dimensions EXCEPT to have a rim of a 500NE or 475 #2?
I mean if the rifle was really

attractively priced and the new owner felt he needed a flanged piece of brass for con-

fidence sake?

Jack

OH GOD! {Seriously, we need the help.}

Posts: 2791 | Location: USA - East Coast | Registered: 10 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MikeBurke
posted Hide Post
Without firsthand experience with rimless doubles my comment will be anecdotal. For the most part people can read and make educated decisions. Mac believes there could be problems with rimless cases in a double. JPK believes they are fine. Present arguments, discuss and cuss, and make an educated choice. The other choice is there is no opposite view, somebody has problems and then we say “oh this may happen if you use………”
My view is you eliminate as many variables as possible, whether it is North Fork versus Woodleigh, rimless versus rimmed, double versus bolt, single trigger versus double trigger, etc, etc. I need as much of an advantage as possible after that fine display of shooting I presented yesterday.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Will,

I don't disagree in general with your "don't go out of the way" perspective. But the 375H&H and the 458wm are so ubiquitous that they solve a lot of potential problems encountered with the not so common rimmed cartridges and even the 470.

Mike 70560,

I wouldn't advise heading the rimless or rimless beltless route without shooting the rifle and without a close inspection of that rifle's system of engaging the groove. But one variable removed when a hunter shows up with a 458wm or a 375H&H double is ammo, and good ammo designed for DG, available just about anywhere, even in the bush where it is needed.

I think that variable is hell of a lot more important and arrises a hell of a lot more frequently than any issue with belted rimless or rmless cartridges in double rifles.

And if you wish to further eleiminate variables then rely on Woodleighs, they are the more consistent performer. North Forks are great for some purposes, but the Woodleighs turn in more consistent performance, especially on the first brain shot.

Jack,

What you propose could be done, but why? If you insist on a rim and on the .416" round, there is the 500/416. Of course, if you already own the rifle and it performs unreliably, that might be an option.

JPK

Free 500grains

one of us
Picture of Will
posted Hide Post
quote:
Will,

I don't disagree in general with your "don't go out of the way" perspective. But the 375H&H and the 458wm are so ubiquitous that they solve a lot of potential problems encountered with the not so common rimmed cartridges and even the 470.

Mike 70560,

I wouldn't advise heading the rimless or rimless beltless route without shooting the rifle and without a close inspection of that rifle's system of engaging the groove. But one variable removed when a hunter shows up with a 458wm or a 375H&H double is ammo, and good ammo designed for DG, available just about anywhere, even in the bush where it is needed.

I think that variable is hell of a lot more important and arrises a hell of a lot more frequently than any issue with belted rimless or rmless cartridges in double rifles.

And if you wish to further eleiminate variables then rely on Woodleighs, they are the more consistent performer. North Forks are great for some purposes, but the Woodleighs turn in more consistent performance, especially on the first brain shot.

Jack,

What you propose could be done, but why? If you insist on a rim and on the .416" round, there is the 500/416. Of course, if you already own the rifle and it performs unreliably, that might be an option.

JPK

I'd give you a dollar for your .458 WM double, if you clean it first.

I'd wager, but not much, that it is a cold day in the Zambezi valley, when more than the two shots are fired at any elephant with a double. So if the two .458 WM rounds let you to close the action, what difference does it make whether they are rimless or rimmed? Wink

Will Stewart / Once you've been amongst them, there is no such thing as too much gun.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Will,

You have a point on the two rounds issue. But I have to admit that I have reloaded very quickly on a couple of occasions after a muffed brain shot and put a third and even a fourth shot into an ele before it either dropped or managed to get out of sight.

I put four into one that was charging and at about seven paces. First one stopped it cold, second one got it turned to go, third was a slightly quartering away broadside shot at about 25yds and the fourth a raking, 3/4 going away shot at about 30-35yds just as she was disapearing into the bush. The third and fourth rounds we loaded from my belt, one at a time. The PH also got in two, one was a reload since he had fired over her head, ineffectively. We found her dead twenty or thrity yards further on after a slow and tense follow-up.

BTW, I have barrowed 458wm ammo in the field to finish a multi ele and buff hunt and have twice barrowed 375H&H ammo in the field. 11lbs just isn't enough for a long, multi DG trip.

JPK

Free 500grains

one of us
Picture of Will
posted Hide Post
quote:
11lbs just isn't enough for a long, multi DG trip.

Not when it takes a box of shells to shoot one damn elephant. Smiler Smiler

One of Us
Picture of 470Evans
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 500N:
quote:

How do you go from a 400/360 to a 416 ?

Was it rebarrelled ?

I was back in Cabelas today. It was originally a 400/360 Westley. Proof marks still say 360 ex. 41grs cordite 314 bullet.

The barrels were rechambered and rebored. I wouldn't touch it.

Posts: 1311 | Location: Texas | Registered: 29 August 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:

I was back in Cabelas today. It was originally a 400/360 Westley. Proof marks still say 360 ex. 41grs cordite 314 bullet.

The barrels were rechambered and rebored. I wouldn't touch it.

What were the tubes before, Railway tracks ??? LOL

.366 to .416, interesting re bore.

What do the barrels look like now ?

Posts: 3191 | Location: Victoria, Australia | Registered: 01 March 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Will:
quote:
11lbs just isn't enough for a long, multi DG trip.

Not when it takes a box of shells to shoot one damn elephant. Smiler Smiler

Ain't that the truth! moon middlefinger space

JPK

Free 500grains

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by catosilvaje:
The rifle is a Bently and Playfair . Don't know if I spelled it right. Guess it's English.

I would pass on the B&P.

Did you ever shoot on the LBJ Grasslands???

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
No I have my own shootig range here in St. Jo. I can arrange a time if you would like to shoot here . I can go to 5oo yards.