THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM DOUBLE RIFLES FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Double Rifles    Bolt action double Rifles' ejection?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Bolt action double Rifles' ejection?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of JP577
posted
Of course you are all familiar with those rifles and the 2 examples made by Blaser in Germany and Fuchs in austria.

My question is: if you shoot one barrel only, then wanted to load a new round, would the two rounds (fired and unfired) eject upon openning the bolt? or there is a mechanism to eject the fired one only?

I can't imagine having to eject both then searching for the live one on the ground, and I too can't imagine how they'd make the empty one only eject!

one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
Very good question! I never thought about that, but it seems to me, since the rifle feeds from a magazine, and it is a pushfeed action, I would tend to think it would eject the loaded round as well!

There would have to be a mechanism to, not only block the ejector on the un-fired barrel, but hold the round in the magazine down to avoid a real jam! thumbdown

Now that you mention it, that is just one more reason I wouldn't want to go into the weeds with mad Lion with that thing! Lets see what we have so far! Not only a push feed, but a double pushfeed, in a rifle that has to be heavy for caliber when fully loaded, but one you can't load one fired barrel without dumping a loaded round on the ground, not to mention being butt ugly! Eeker Eeker

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The Fuchs most definitely ejects both, fired or not, when you work the bolt. There's a film somewhere showing its operation. As for that Blaser, I've always assumed the game just dies of shame given what it's being stalked with, so no second shot is necessary.

One of Us
Picture of JP577
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by leo toralballa:
As for that Blaser, I've always assumed the game just dies of shame given what it's being stalked with, so no second shot is necessary.

Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha jumping rotflmo

One of Us
posted Hide Post
JP577,

Of course they eject both shells/cartridges...

What are you thinking? #1) You always shoot twice with a DR and (#2) even if you do only shoot once and eject one live round... NO problem, you still have 4 more in the magazine rotflmo

DRSS &
Bolt Action Trash

Posts: 860 | Location: Arizona + Just as far as memory reaches | Registered: 04 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of El Deguello
posted Hide Post
There's one hell of a lot of beautiful workmanship and embellishment on that misbegotten contraption! It is a perfect example of what's possible, but not of what SHOULD BE DONE!! I do not believe it is an example of an advancement in weapons technology.....

"Bitte, trinks du nicht das Wasser. Dahin haben die Kuhen gesheissen."

Posts: 4386 | Location: New Woodstock, Madison County, Central NY | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I think it is a magnificent example of engineering, but on the other hand, Col. Jeff Cooper's quote comes to mind...and I may be paraphrasing a bit..."An absolutely ingenious solution to a non-existant problem."

Posts: 1669 | Location: Colorado, USA | Registered: 11 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I second(third?) El Deguello & congomike, but can't bring myself to be as charitable toward these rifles. Ingenious & superb engineering, definitely, but they're also abominations in every other sense I can think of. From the first time I saw them written up in a mag I've thought "Yeeeuchhh" but then again, whatever floats yer boat I guess Roll Eyes
Steve.

Posts: 540 | Location: Nelson, New Zealand | Registered: 07 March 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Fabulous and ridiculous.

Posts: 1233 | Registered: 25 November 2002Reply With Quote