Find
Notify
Tools

Chapuis hard to break open
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Dave Bush
posted
Guys, I am having some difficulty with my Chapuis ,375 flanged. Is is really tight. If I fire two shots, I can't break the gun without taking it down from my shoulder. I literally have to pull it down from my shoulder and break it over my knee. Otherwise it shoots fine and it is deadly accurate. I only have about 75 rounds through. Do you think it will eventually work loose or does in need a trip to see JJ?

Dave
DRSS
Chapuis 9.3X74
Chapuis "Jungle" .375 FL
Krieghoff 500/.416 NE
Krieghoff 500 NE

"Git as close as y can laddie an then git ten yards closer"

"If the biggest, baddest animals on the planet are on the menu, and you'd rather pay a taxidermist than a mortician, consider the 500 NE as the last word in life insurance." Hornady Handbook of Cartridge Reloading (8th Edition).

Posts: 3728 | Location: Midwest | Registered: 26 November 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of cal pappas
posted Hide Post
If the rifle opens easily unfired, than I would suspect high pressure. Load down a bit and fire it again.
Cal

Cal Pappas, Willow, Alaska
www.CalPappas.com
www.CalPappas.blogspot.com
1994 Zimbabwe
1997 Zimbabwe
1998 Zimbabwe
1999 Zimbabwe
1999 Namibia, Botswana, Zambia--vacation
2000 Australia
2002 South Africa
2003 South Africa
2003 Zimbabwe
2005 South Africa
2005 Zimbabwe
2006 Tanzania
2006 Zimbabwe--vacation
2007 Zimbabwe--vacation
2008 Zimbabwe
2012 Australia
2013 South Africa
2013 Zimbabwe
2013 Australia
2016 Zimbabwe
2017 Zimbabwe
2018 South Africa
2018 Zimbabwe--vacation
2019 South Africa
2019 Botswana
2019 Zimbabwe vacation
2021 South Africa
2021 South Africa (2nd hunt a month later)

Posts: 7281 | Location: Willow, Alaska | Registered: 29 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
All Chapuis's are like that when new; they won't break open on their own and require both hands and some serious leverage. Fired or not. Work it about 500 times and it will loosen up a bit. All the Chapuis DRs I have seen and owned are like that. Better than the opposite. If you want it looser, now, you will have to hone and polish the mating surfaces.

Posts: 17282 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Dave, good to see you're out shooting. Work it a bit and see what happens. As dpcd says, better to have good tight tolerances when new than sloppy and loose.

Posts: 20165 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
Did you notice any signs of firing pins dragging on the primers? that could be a cause. Also extended primers.

Rusty
We Band of Brothers!
DRSS, NRA & SCI Life Member

"I am rejoiced at my fate. Do not be uneasy about me, for I am with my friends."
----- David Crockett in his last letter (to his children), January 9th, 1836
"I will never forsake Texas and her cause. I am her son." ----- Jose Antonio Navarro, from Mexican Prison in 1841
"for I have sworn upon the altar of god eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man." Thomas Jefferson
Declaration of Arbroath April 6, 1320-“. . .It is not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself.”

Posts: 9797 | Location: Missouri City, Texas | Registered: 21 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
All above posts give good advice.

Are you shooting factory ammo ro reloads???

Try this. Shoot a few rounds from both barrels, and keep the fired brass from the two barrels seperate.

Then take the barrels off the reciever.

If the brass is hard to reinsert back into the barrel it was fired from, the loads are too hot.

As Rusty stated, of the primers do not look right, the load is too hot.

Also be sure and keep the hinge pin, and locking surface on the barrel, well greased.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Dave, after you have had the 375 Flanged for a while, I would like to hear your opinion on it compared to the 9,3x74R Chapuis.

Are those doubles scoped?

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Trust me; Chapuis are fitted tight from the factory. Real tight.
As for the 375 FL, I think they have much heavier barrels than the 9.3, which have paper thin ones. I have not owned a Chap 375 however.

Posts: 17282 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Chapuis' are tight from factory but if you are having to break it open over your knee I think your ammo is too hot. The 375 FL is a very tapered case and the bolt thrust will be pretty high. Make sure your chambers are free of oil before shooting. Also be sure and lube all your locking surfaces and lugs with a good heavy duty grease. If your gun is that tight without firing you need to make sure its lubed.

Posts: 2837 | Location: NC | Registered: 08 July 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I think it's best to use the grease designed for high pressure applications like hinge pins and stainless steel.
Do it while you're watching a good safari movie ! popcorn

One of Us
Picture of H T
posted Hide Post
Might want to contact JJ Perradeau at Champlin Firearms in Enid, OK. Very knowledgable about chapuis doubles.

Posts: 742 | Location: Kerrville, TX | Registered: 24 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of AK_Stick
posted Hide Post
my 9.3 was initially very stiff as well.

Fired several different loads, including some loaded by members here, and opening was stiff with all of them. After some work, its now better, though still a little stiff.

Only Angels and Aviators have wings

Posts: 263 | Location: The frozen north, between deployments | Registered: 03 July 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Many of todays doubles are set up like that to allow for wear I suppose..

The best way to fix that in any double is to remove those damn ejectors and go with extractors then the weight of the barrels will let it drop open.....At least that works best for me, plus I don't lose any expensive brass in the high grass, mud or sand, and it doesn't make a "ping" when opened, and when practiced it's just as fast as ejectors, for me anyway.....

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 42167 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote