New
Find
Notify
Tools

Boxlock Ejector .400/360
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I was in Cabellas in Fort Worth Friday and they sold the nice little William Evans Boxlock Ejector .400/360. I am just wondering who was luckey enough to get that little sweetheart.
I am hoping the new owner will post more info and tell us how it shoots
Bill
http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas...categoryId=SEARCH_gl

Member DSC,DRSS,NRA,TSRA
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
-Mark Twain
There ought to be one day - just one – when there is open season on Congressmen.
~Will Rogers~

Posts: 1132 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: 09 May 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have shot that particular rifle.

It is an excellent double.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I hate to be overly technical, but in the ad it's called a William Evans Boxlock Ejector .400/360. I think it should be a 400/.360. But, they didn't call it a NE. I assume that part's correct.

Taylor compared this to the .360 Westley Richards and compared them both to the 9mm Mauser. He seemed to prefer the .360 NE#2, but even in 1948 when he wrote his book, he said for the latter it was difficult to obtain shells.

Anyway, at first I was surprised at the price. But I assume it's because of the caliber. The rarity and price would make this a very desirable find. Apparently if we want a decent price then on a high grade double, we should look to the more obscure calibers. Is that not correct?

I wonder what the .360 NE#2 goes for?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I wouldn't call them rare - i have probably seen more 400/.360 DR's like that with the name William Evans on them than any others. They made quite a few of them.

400/360 is a small cartridge compared to 360 No 2.

But yes, the more obscure calibres (like the 2 above) do tend to sell for less IMHO. At one stage it was hard to give away a 400/360.

Posts: 3191 | Location: Victoria, Australia | Registered: 01 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DoubleDon
posted Hide Post
The 360 No. 2 Nitro Express with it's 320 grain bullet penetrates like hell. It would be an ideal buff cartridge and I would not hesitate to use it on ele in a pinch.

Today, unlike several years ago, there is a wide variety of 9.3 diameter bullets available.

Bertram brass is available and this year Jamison International will be making brass for this fine cartridge.

Deo Vindice,

Don

Sons of Confederate Veterans Black Horse Camp #780

Posts: 1706 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 01 February 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 470Evans
posted Hide Post
That Evans used to be mine and is a great little rifle. Perfect weight and balance, very accurate with both 286 Hawks and 286 Woodleigh RNs. As a matter of fact, it's the most accurate double I've seen.

I called Cabelas just now and it's still available. I found a 99% Evans 400/360 that was built for Haile Selassie in 1926 so I sold this one to Cabelas.

If anyone wants to know about this one let me know.

Posts: 1311 | Location: Texas | Registered: 29 August 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Quite tempting. Quite. Only I've just bought a Searcy .400.

Anyway, I did a little looking around and on gun-data.com there's this run down -

400/360 Nitro Express, 2-3/4" .
400/360 Nitro Express, 2-3/4" (WEvans.London his) .
400/360 Nitro Express, 2-3/4" (Fraser bullet) .
400/360 Westly Richards Rimless Nitro Express, 2-3/4" .

So it appears that Evans indeed was a real player in this caliber, just like 500N said.

Taylor listed the ft lbs at 2,500, which is more than the .30-30 but below both the .30-06 and the old .348 Win lever gun (IMO the .348 would make a nice little DB).

So, what I'm thinking is the Evans would make a perfect deer gun for a double rifle enthusiast who otherwise might be looking at downloading something more potent.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Shack:

So, what I'm thinking is the Evans would make a perfect deer gun for a double rifle enthusiast who otherwise might be looking at downloading something more potent.

Light deer gun, yes, for sure.

Posts: 3191 | Location: Victoria, Australia | Registered: 01 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 470Evans:
That Evans used to be mine and is a great little rifle. Perfect weight and balance, very accurate with both 286 Hawks and 286 Woodleigh RNs. As a matter of fact, it's the most accurate double I've seen.

I called Cabelas just now and it's still available. I found a 99% Evans 400/360 that was built for Haile Selassie in 1926 so I sold this one to Cabelas.

If anyone wants to know about this one let me know.

Ok my bad they came out and took the tag off it and said someone was picking it up. Aparentley that fell through.

Member DSC,DRSS,NRA,TSRA
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
-Mark Twain
There ought to be one day - just one – when there is open season on Congressmen.
~Will Rogers~

Posts: 1132 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: 09 May 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Spent a lot of time looking at that William Evans in Dallas. I have one that looks virtually identical and is in at least as good shape. Even the leather covered recoil pads appear to be the same. Like that one is said to shoot, mine is also very accurate and confortable to shoot. Mine seems to have slightly finer checkering and maybe a little more coverage on the fore end. Could be wrong on that as didn't see them side by side.

One significant difference; mine was converted to 9.3x74R in 1992 - reportedly by Paul Roberts. Because of the conversion I had no qualms about having JJ add claw mounts...

Best,
Emory

Posts: 403 | Location: Houston | Registered: 09 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
A few members of the DRSS use the 400/360 on deer and wild pigs with excellent results.

I have seen several pigs shot with one.

Usually they are DRT.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
What is done about ammo for it? What ballistics? Is there a "classic" load generally used or do some increase the velocity to get better expansion on light game?

One of Us
Picture of 470Evans
posted Hide Post
The kynoch load was a 300gr bullet with 40 grs of Cordite around 1950 fps. http://www.new-kynoch.apt-site...rtridge%20range.htm#

My load for this rifle was 54+- grs of IMR4350, Woodleigh 286gr soft, Horneber brass and Fed 210s. It clocked 2000fps and I could get it to group around an 1" at 50 yds.

This load worked in this rifle with that particular lot of powder. Someone else may experience different results and should start out under this level and work up.

Posts: 1311 | Location: Texas | Registered: 29 August 2006Reply With Quote