Find
Notify
Tools

What happened?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of JudgeG
posted
I woke up this morning and looked in my gun safe and my new .470 N.E. Searcy Classic and morphed into a scoped .450/.400 3".

It is really built for irons, but shoots wonderfully with the scope, too. I just love the lines and the feel. It comes to shoulder as smoothly as a longneck to the lips.

And Frank:
You are absolutely correct. This gun is as well fitted and finished as any I seen at any price. It is a joy to own! JMines has the serial number between us, BTW. His is stainless and is slap-ass beautiful (if you like the gaudy stainless! Big Grin)

If you haven't seen Butch's mounting system, it is really slick. It takes all of three seconds to either remove or put on the scope.

I just decided to dance with the date I invited and will just get me a .577 or some beast later, I reckon.

That means that someone can get a brand new Searcy .470 Classic without the 18 month delay!

JudgeG ... just counting time 'til I am again finding balm in Gilead chilled out somewhere in the Selous.

Posts: 7711 | Location: GA | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Will
posted Hide Post
Cute. Any idea what it weighs, short of guessing? Smiler

-------------------------------
Will Stewart / Once you've been amongst them, there is no such thing as too much gun.
---------------------------------------
and, God Bless John Wayne.

NRA Benefactor Member, GOA, N.A.G.R.

"Elephant and Elephant Guns" $99 shipped
“Hunting Africa's Dangerous Game" $20 shipped.

red.dirt.elephant@gmail.com

Hoping to wind up where elephant hunters go.

Posts: 19369 | Location: Ocala Flats | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of JudgeG
posted Hide Post
Bill:

The stock is made for irons, of course, and I can bring it to shoulder with my eyes closed and the sights are aligned. I have to lift my head slightly to use the scope (if installed) like with the old pre-war Winchester stocks... but that's what I grew up using, so no big deal. I have a fixed-power 2.5 Leupold on it with a post and crosshair reticule from Precision Reticule (wish they still did that!)

I haven't weighted the rifle my self, but it is right at 10 pounds with the scope according to Butch.

I know! The perfect weight is 2.5 pounds for a .577 N.E. according to you... but I can handle it if I eat my Wheaties.

JudgeG ... just counting time 'til I am again finding balm in Gilead chilled out somewhere in the Selous.

one of us
Picture of Hog Killer
posted Hide Post
Looks great Judge!

Love the CC frame.

Keith

IGNORE YOUR RIGHTS AND THEY'LL GO AWAY!!!
------------------------------------
We Band of Bubbas & STC Hunting Club, The Whomper Club

Posts: 4553 | Location: Walker Co.,Texas | Registered: 05 September 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Beautiful rifle, Congrats.

Let us know how it shoots.

DRSS &
Bolt Action Trash

Posts: 860 | Location: Arizona + Just as far as memory reaches | Registered: 04 February 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Judge...

You SOB. Wink I take one look at that rifle and I am sitting here scheming as to what I can sell, trade or steal to get myself one just like it.

Nice looking rig.

One of Us
Picture of Gun toter
posted Hide Post
Beautiful wood.

It seems Butch is using nicer wood on his doubles than most others I have seen. I keep getting tempted to place my order with him.

JudgeG, Is that standard grade or did you order something upgraded, or did you buy the blank somewhere else and send it in?

I love my Avatar Too Fellas.

Posts: 190 | Location: Under my dancing Avatar | Registered: 01 June 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of JudgeG
posted Hide Post
Everything is standard except the scope option which is less than $500, if I remember correctly.

On my first Searcy, when I asked about the wood, Butch sent me a picture of several blanks that were "standard" and I picked the one I wanted. He does have some extra-priced blanks that are over-the-top beautiful. I bought this rifle to hunt with and didn't ask any questions or make any demands.. it's just the way it came.

Not bad, huh?... but at the price, it should be a bit above average!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
gorgeous!!!!

DRSS

Posts: 1168 | Location: Pamplico, SC USA | Registered: 24 August 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hold on to that safe!

Have you tried storing a gallon of water in it to see if it can turn it into a gallon fine single malt scotch?

Beautiful rifle, by the way!

SCI Life Member
DSC Life Member

Posts: 2018 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 20 May 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ozhunter
posted Hide Post
You guys are killing me!!
Dam US export permits.

Can you show us more photos?
ozhunter

Posts: 5886 | Location: Sydney,Australia  | Registered: 03 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Absolutely beautiful!

DRSS Member

Posts: 96 | Location: Idaho | Registered: 17 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jorge
posted Hide Post
Gorgeous rifle Ernest! jorge

USN (ret)
DRSS Verney-Carron 450NE
Cogswell & Harrison 375 Fl NE
Sabatti Big Five 375 FL Magnum NE
DSC Life Member
NRA Life Member

Posts: 7149 | Location: Orange Park, Florida. USA | Registered: 22 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I think there may be a trend of the owners of vintage doubles upgrading to new Searcys. Smiler

Posts: 18352 | Location: Salt Lake City, Utah USA | Registered: 20 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yep!

Twice the performance, half the price, MADE IN USA!!! thumb

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Hold on to that safe!

Have you tried storing a gallon of water in it to see if it can turn it into a gallon fine single malt scotch?

Jim,

I think you have it backwards. Knowing JudgeG the way I do, it's the single malt that turns him into a gun buyer. I think it somehow affects his resolve not to buy anymore guns.

Posts: 551 | Location: Woodbine, Ga | Registered: 04 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Antlers
posted Hide Post
Very nice Ernest! Are those standard talley QD mounts?

Antlers
Double Rifle Shooters Society
Heym 450/400 3"

Posts: 1990 | Location: AL | Registered: 13 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of JudgeG
posted Hide Post
Antlers:

The rings are standard and the mounting system has a little groves on the rib. On top of the rib are two detents to restrict movement. On the picture of JMimes rifle you can see the groves and detents. A cool system and very fast! Thread that shows mounting system

One of Us
Picture of Doc52
posted Hide Post
Way to go Ernest! Am I going to be able to fondle your new love anytime soon?

Doc52
B. Searcy & Co .577 NE
Double Rifle Shooters Society

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote!"

Benjamin Franklin 1759

Posts: 241 | Location: Bucks County, Pennsylvania | Registered: 26 April 2005Reply With Quote