Tools

Omigosh this is beautiful!
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted
I can't even dream, but I can drool.

https://www.theexplora.com/?ut...c7afb88451-201890957

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16653 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of PSmith
posted Hide Post
That is really old school and I love it.

Paul Smith
SCI Life Member
NRA Life Member
DSC Member
Life Member of the "I Can't Wait to Get Back to Africa" Club
DRSS
I had the privilege to fire E. Hemingway's WR .577NE, E. Keith's WR .470NE, & F. Jamieson's WJJ .500 Jeffery
I strongly recommend avoidance of "The Zambezi Safari & Travel Co., Ltd." and "Pisces Sportfishing-Cabo San Lucas"

"A failed policy of national defense is its own punishment" Otto von Bismarck

Posts: 2545 | Location: The 'Ham | Registered: 25 May 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thank you. I love the lion. It reminds me of ivy vines. I mean that in a good way.

Posts: 12236 | Location: Somewhere above Tennessee and below Kentucky  | Registered: 31 July 2016Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
That was really nice!

Some serious talent involved, and I like color case hardening better than most finishes.

Posts: 11028 | Location: Minnesota USA | Registered: 15 June 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Grenadier
posted Hide Post
Yes, the colors are amazing. The British color hardening always looks different then what we get from US makers. I don't know what creates the differences but I prefer the look of the British colors.

Posts: 10900 | Location: North of the Columbia | Registered: 28 April 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
That's quite stunning. I'd love to see how they end up stocking it.

Posts: 1449 | Location: New England | Registered: 22 February 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Nakihunter
posted Hide Post
The rifle is awesome.

I am no expert but the colour case hardening looks more like an American style such as Turnbull's work rather than the more subtle British colours.

Any thoughts?

"When the wind stops....start rowing. When the wind starts, get the sail up quick."

Posts: 11243 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 02 July 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I like CCH or engraving but not both as it seemsto me they conflict with each other .
The shooting stocking s. I've been neglecting them. Can I get them in my school colors ??
Thanks for the photos .

one of us
posted Hide Post
Not me.This is not a real WR.It is more like a bunch of people who want to profit from the name and nothing else.

Posts: 11651 | Location: Montreal | Registered: 07 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ozhunter
posted Hide Post
These with McKay Brown the best of today's doubles imo

Posts: 5886 | Location: Sydney,Australia  | Registered: 03 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Definitely some beautiful work on that site.

Posts: 284 | Location: southern AB | Registered: 17 May 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Oz,
in total agreement with you on that!

CHEERS

Nick

Posts: 665 | Location: EU | Registered: 05 September 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Mete, to each his own. I find the combination of CCH and this style of engraving simply enchanting. One man's meat ...

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16653 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yes, the colors are amazing. The British color hardening always looks different then what we get from US makers. I don't know what creates the differences but I prefer the look of the British colors.

...it depence on the leather and the bones and the ??? witch the do also in the fire, in the finale colour case hardening process.
The result: Different colours, from soft to dark blue.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
It looks similar to h&h engraving style h&h doubles had with the gargoyles and dragons, maybe the royal deluxe? Not really my thing.

Posts: 1280 | Location: The Bluegrass State | Registered: 21 October 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The differences in CCH are attributable to water temperature, amount of oxygen in the water, type of charcoal used, whether bone and leather are used, and temperature of the heated metal. This does not include acid bath that Stevens used. Other than that it is pretty much a crap shoot.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Over engraved, triumph of bad taste over good taste, and carried over the arm anywhere it rubs...especially on a hot day...will be rubbed red raw.

And it'll pick up and hold water, blood, mud, filth and shit like a magnet with that deep cut engraving. An absolute swine to clean.

Here's the thing before colouring showing more of the engraving.

https://www.theexplora.com/a-w...ved-by-paul-lantuch/

I don't like it...with that engraving style...you'll get high points quickly worn bright and the "deeps" still in colour. It'll not age well.

It would have been all around a better gun just left plain, the breeches unmolested and the action un-engraved except for fine lining around the edges.

It would have spoken for itself. Quality doesn't need dressing up by engraving it with images of Battlecat from the He-Man comic strip adventures..

I wouldn't have it as a gift.

Posts: 6821 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: 18 November 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'd be over the moon if it was gifted to me!!! It is a wonderful,piece of craftsmanship!
Maybe not to everyone's taste, but these are all bespoke guns, built as the owners want!
No doubt more of a show piece than as shooter, the owner probably has plenty of others in the rack!

I have a WR drop lock nearing completion. It's going to be a shooter, and features the traditional fine WR scroll, and case colour hardening by ST Ledger, the best in the business!!

The factory, craftsmanship, and staff at WR are in my opinion the very best in the world of bespoke double rifles.

Now to book a hunt next season to christen the 500!!

Decisions decisions!!!!!!

Cheers

Nick

One of Us
posted Hide Post
St Ledger did the colour work on the rifle referred to in this thread. You won't get better skills than he has.

I think with the traditional WR scroll your rifle will look very good. Did you consider other engraving options for it?

My late father's 12 bore has simply "lining" (like the paint lining on a railway engine) that is just a fine parallel engraved line just inside the edges of the action and top lever etc. and other than the maker's name and standard screw and pin engraving style is totally plain.

Form follows function...like a Colt 1911...and has an elegance of its own.

Posts: 6821 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: 18 November 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Did consider game scene in fine bulino style,as well as arcaded fences as per Woodwards of old.

In the end i wanted the CCH that WR do so well, and feel that game scenes are "lost' in this type of finish, so went for the deluxe scroll and gold name banner on sides.

A very traditional WR, that will be used in the field.

cheers

Nick

One of Us
Picture of ozhunter
posted Hide Post
N
quote:
Originally posted by nickh:

A very traditional WR, that will be used in the field.

cheers

Nick

It's a shame you won't have it for Namibia but I'm glad you won't be using in later in the oven in which the Zambezi will become at that time of the year.

Posts: 5886 | Location: Sydney,Australia  | Registered: 03 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
We need to make a plan for next year then Adam!!!

cheers
Nick