THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM DOUBLE RIFLES FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Double Rifles    N E 450 No 2's 75% Theory in a small bore O/U
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

N E 450 No 2's 75% Theory in a small bore O/U
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of 308Sako
posted
Caliber .30-06 nominal Regulation 200 grain bullets, Test with same powder charge and primers but a bullet of 150 grains.

Rifle Browning Continental, Claw mounted Leupold 3X

Range fired 75 yards

Left target 200grain Norma, Right 150 Nosler
Sequence of impact noted on targets, same hold for all rounds fired. I was firing supported in the front, but unsupported in the rear, elbows on the bench... hence some of the vertical. Note the barrels did not cross with either load. Called & Pulled # 6 of the 200's.

Member NRA, SCI- Life #358 28+ years now!
DRSS, double owner-shooter since 1983, O/U .30-06 Browning Continental set.

Posts: 3611 | Location: LV NV | Registered: 22 October 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Looking at this:
Are shots #1, 3 and 5 from under barrel and #2, 4, 6 from over barrel?

If so, there seems at least to be the consistency of the under barrel; but the upper barrel does not really seem to be as good with either load.
Frankly, with the 150's it's quite horrible!

A.k.a. Bwana One-Shot

Posts: 552 | Location: Finland | Registered: 07 August 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 308Sako
posted Hide Post
Yes the even number shots were the upper barrel. When I had the rib and claws installed the regulation changed from 150 (factory) to 200 (unknown at the time!) Had I not pulled the #6 shot with the 200's you would see that at 75 yards the rifle will shoot approximately into 2 inches (5 cm) or less. The 200 grain bullet is far superior in my opinion as an all around load for this type of rifle. One other important comment is that the rifle shoots even better without the scope, but my eyes just cannot handle that anymore.

One of Us
Picture of 308Sako
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Schauckis:
Looking at this:
Are shots #1, 3 and 5 from under barrel and #2, 4, 6 from over barrel?

If so, there seems at least to be the consistency of the under barrel; but the upper barrel does not really seem to be as good with either load.
Frankly, with the 150's it's quite horrible!

It has been noted that the 150's are not the regulated weight projectile.

Further if you base a rifles accuracy on three shots, well I feel you may have let a couple of keepers go!

one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
One question, how was the rifle suported on the front?

Like most methods of plotting bullet holes in targets for double rifles, this is a confusing target labeling.

With a double rifle one should always shoot four shots on the target, as if shooting at an animal that is being hit but refuses to go down. The targets should be labeled by shots as they are fired. For instance with an O/U the labeling on the target should read #1 Bottom, #2 Top, #3 Bottom
#4 TOP .

With a S/S #1 RT, #2 LFT, #3 RIGHT, #4 LFT, with the time lapse between all four shots less than 20 seconds. This duplicates the way a double rifle was designed to be used. The double rifle is a hunting rifle, and is designed to shoot properly from a ambient temprature, with the first shot being fired from cool barrel set, and addtional shots fired from continously rising temprature of the barrels till shot four is fired.

Harmonics do not play a part in group size,as it does with a single barrel rifle, but temprature changes, and recoil arch does. The rifle it's self being rested on anything will not give you a true picture of what the rifle is doing. The forend should not be rested dirrectly on the support, but held in the forehand, with the back of the hand resting on the support. The double rifle should never touch anything other than the shooter's face, shoulder, and hands while being fired, or groups will suffer.

By the way, your groups are very good for 75 yds, no matter what load you're useing! thumb

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 308Sako
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MacD37:
One question, how was the rifle suported on the front?

The forend should not be rested dirrectly on the support, but held in the forehand, with the back of the hand resting on the support. The double rifle should never touch anything other than the shooter's face, shoulder, and hands while being fired, or groups will suffer.
By the way, your groups are very good for 75 yds, no matter what load you're useing! thumb

Mac, Thanks for your clarification of the way the groups were shot. The above method is exactly what I did, with the exception of labeling the under vs over barrel. Suffice it to say that the odd #'d shots were indeed the lower tube, and vice versa. I could have done better !