Find
Notify
Tools

Merkel 9.3 help with loads
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Brain1
posted
I have a Merkel 140 in 9.3x74R. I need some help and/or advise in finding a load it likes. Anyone who has experience with this please chime in.

You can borrow money, but you can't borrow time. Don't wait, go now.
Savannah Safaris Namibia
Otjitambi Trails & Safaris
DRSS
NRA
SCI
DSC
TSRA
TMPA

Posts: 1265 | Location: Bridgeport, Tx | Registered: 20 May 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
although not a merkel mine likes 65 gr of old 4831 with eith a 286 gr bullet or a 300 gr a frame - both hit to the same point. 2nd load was 54 gr of rl15

Posts: 13461 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I use 65 grains of IMR 4831 with 286 Woodleigh Softs, Solids, 286 Nosler Partitions, and 285 Hawks with the .035jkt.

All shoot to the same zero to 200 yards.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of zimbabwe
posted Hide Post
I used 55gr of IMR4064 with 286gr Woodleigh in my Chapuis. Shot well for me. Used in both my Valmet's also with good results.

SCI Life Member
NRA Patron Life Member
DRSS

Posts: 2786 | Location: Green Valley,Az | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Zimbabwe, how do you like your Valmet? I assume this is the O/U similar to the Tikka 412. I am having trouble finding the Merkel 141 in 9.3 so might have to go to plan B (the Valmet/Tikka). Please pM me, I would be interested in your take on what these are worth, used.
Peter.

Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong;

Posts: 10515 | Location: Jacksonville, Florida | Registered: 09 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Is it OK to shoot the 286 grain Barnes Banded solids in a Merkel 9.3x74r double rifle?

Any potential damage or excess wear?

Thanks.

Tim

Posts: 1430 | Location: California | Registered: 21 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Brain1
posted Hide Post
Has anyone ever tried Varget?

Savannah Safaris Namibia
DRSS
NRA
SCI
DSC
TSRA
TMPA

Posts: 1265 | Location: Bridgeport, Tx | Registered: 20 May 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
56 grains of R-15 with a 300 grain Swift A-frame gives 2285 fps. out of 24 inch barrels. Brian, I used to have a Merkle in 9.3 that was a VERY particular about what it liked, keep searching.

"An individual with experience is never at the mercies of an individual with an argument"

Posts: 1827 | Location: Palmer AK & Prescott Valley AZ | Registered: 01 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Brain1
posted Hide Post
The first load I tried shoots both barrels into 2" at 100 yards. I'm sure I'll keep trying to find the perfect load until I can't get 2 bullets into a pie plate. I never was any good with the old saying "if it ain't broke don't fix it". I'll break it just to see how hard it is to fix, not intentionaly though. Anybody ever use Speer 170 grainers?

Savannah Safaris Namibia
DRSS
NRA
SCI
DSC
TSRA
TMPA