THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM DOUBLE RIFLES FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Double Rifles    What Targgets are you guys using to sight in DR?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What Targgets are you guys using to sight in DR?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Hi Guys:

What kind of targets are you using to sight in your DR's. Better yet please post a picture.

I made the mistake in trying to sight in on a red six inch circle target with one inch grid lines at 50 yards. They are made for a scopeed rifle at 100 yards.

The problem is my front sight just about blocks out the red circle at 50 yards. I don't like sitting the red circle on top of the sights like in pistol shooting because I am still playing with regulation.

Part of the problem of getting older is now I wear glasses for the past 5 years. If I remove my glasses the target is clear and the sights are blurry. If I leave the glasses on the sights are clear and the target is blurry. getting old is a bitch. Smiler

I got good results with a 500 grain Woodleigh, RL-15, 89 grains with filler at 2150 FPS for my 470 NE. Three shots were with in an inch and last shot went hight about two inches. I think I pulled the shot because it was starting to rain pretty hard and wanted to get my Chrony under cover. Plus it's hard to get a good sight picture with that damn target.

Regards... Jim P.

The Hunters Hut
Firearms Sales & Service PAHunter/ The Head Hunter
DRSS,NRA,SCI,NAHC
www.huntershut1.com

Posts: 1015 | Location: PA | Registered: 08 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of hhmag
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PAHunter:

Part of the problem of getting older is now I wear glasses for the past 5 years. If I remove my glasses the target is clear and the sights are blurry. If I leave the glasses on the sights are clear and the target is blurry. getting old is a bitch. Smiler

Same problem here. I use a 3" orange pastie on white plain paper at 50yds and a 6" at 100yds. That's as good as I can shoot with my doubles anyway, but my front beads won't cover 6moa. The exception is the 475#2 I have with an orange fiber optic sight. It exactly covers 6moa, so I generally use 6" and 12" black shoot-n-see's on yellow paper (my eye sees the black dot easier on yellow than on white).

Hair, not Air!
Rob Martin

Posts: 395 | Location: Florida's Fabulous East Coast | Registered: 26 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I used to work for Coca-Cola and had a surplus of old corrogated plastic signs 24"x36". I drew 12" plus signs with a black magic marker...easy to see with iron sights and don't need anything but T-posts and zip-strips to use anywhere.

Stephen Grant 500BPE
Joseph Harkom 450BPE

Posts: 625 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: 21 October 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I use this target.
The idea is to put the black tapezoid just over the bead. I like my rifles shootig one inch over the bead at 50 meters.
The base is 1" and the top 3".

JMHO
Martin

Double Rifle Shooters Society member from Argentina.
My doubles:
.577 Snider by W.Richards.
.58" ML by Pedersoli

Posts: 358 | Location: Bahia Blanca - Argentina | Registered: 14 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of mouse93
posted Hide Post

squares are 1/2 inch

Posts: 2032 | Location: Slovenia | Registered: 28 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
just for fun

Posts: 201 | Location: logan, W.V. | Registered: 13 April 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hi Mouse93:

That is an interesting target, where did you get that?

Regards... Jim P.

The Hunters Hut
Firearms Sales & Service PAHunter/ The Head Hunter
DRSS,NRA,SCI,NAHC
www.huntershut1.com

Posts: 1015 | Location: PA | Registered: 08 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of mouse93
posted Hide Post
PAHunter it is a "Tin hat" I found in Ganyana's article in African Hunter mag. (Vol.11 No. 1). I believe it originates in old Brits military target.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mouse93,
How do you aim?
Martin

Double Rifle Shooters Society member from Argentina.
My doubles:
.577 Snider by W.Richards.
.58" ML by Pedersoli

Posts: 358 | Location: Bahia Blanca - Argentina | Registered: 14 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of mouse93
posted Hide Post
Martin my aim would look something like (right barrel prints just at the top of the bead and the left one same height and 1/2 bead to the left):

at ~30m:

at ~60m:

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Black 6" bullseye for me.

Posts: 18352 | Location: Salt Lake City, Utah USA | Registered: 20 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Palmer
posted Hide Post
Butch Searcys shop evidently agrees with 500grains.

ALLEN W. JOHNSON - DRSS

Into my heart on air that kills
From yon far country blows:
What are those blue remembered hills,
What spires, what farms are those?
That is the land of lost content,
I see it shining plain,
The happy highways where I went
And cannot come again.

A. E. Housman

Posts: 2251 | Location: Mo, USA | Registered: 21 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I often use something similar to this, where there's good contrast - and I tend to prefer the target indicator to be white against a dark background, it stands up well against the sights...

here a Johnson Controls notepad

--Tinker

Posts: 802 | Location: Palomino Valley, NV | Registered: 26 April 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I agree with 500 grains. I use a 25 or 50 yard pistol target. I also use a 6 o'clock hold.
Peter.

Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong;

Posts: 10515 | Location: Jacksonville, Florida | Registered: 09 January 2004Reply With Quote