THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM DOUBLE RIFLES FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Double Rifles    S&W .460 And S&W .500 Caliber ?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

S&W .460 And S&W .500 Caliber ?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I would like to know if there anyone trying to Wildcat the .460 or .500 S&W caiber for doublerifle? I think this would make round for dangerous game.

Posts: 190 | Location: new castle,de. | Registered: 30 December 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of husky
posted Hide Post
I don´t think that those calibers make any sense as a "Dangerous Game caliber".

Rather go for a .450 N.E., .470 N.E. or a .500 N.E.

My 10 cents

Posts: 1134 | Location: Sweden | Registered: 28 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by big will:
I would like to know if there anyone trying to Wildcat the .460 or .500 S&W caliber for double rifle? I think this would make round for dangerous game.

quote:
Originally posted by husky:
I don´t think that those calibers make any sense as a "Dangerous Game caliber".

Rather go for a .450 N.E., .470 N.E. or a .500 N.E.

My 10 cents

Big Will I think I have to agree with Husky on this one to some degree! However bot those cartridges would make fine small double rifles for North America for even the largest deer like moose, and elk is heavy timber or black bear over bait from a stand, or following bear and lion dogs.

I used to have a pack of bear & lion dogs in New Mexico a few years back, and I built a little double rifle with very short .30 cal 1/10 twist barrels (20 Inch) chambered for 30-30 Win regulated for factory Winchester 170 gr ammo. It was built on a 20 gauge Browning BSS shotgun action. That little rifle was very easy to carry on a sling while following those dogs over the canyon country if the Gila wilderness and Saddleback mountains of New Mexico.

A double rifle built the same way barreled for either of the cartridges you mention, would be the nuts for even Alaskan Brown bear protection while fishing there or Leopard on bait or with dogs, but for any of the other members of the big five in Africa, I’d rather have the suggestions Husky gives.

Of course it is simply up to you, and certainly none of anyone elses business what you build! The above is simply my opinion, and you know what they say about opinion, like another orifice, everybody has one!

……………………………………………………………..................................................... old

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Those are factory cartridges; what did you propose to "wildcat" them to? A Wildcat is a cartridge made by altering some existing cartridge in some way such as caliber, length, case angles, etc. But you know that. As for a DR cartridge as is, neither of them offer anything useful over what is already available; i.e., the .460 (at much higher pressure) won't do anything the 45-70 won't already do. As for a small .500; ok for a small/med stuff at very short range. Not useful, imo. And neither is suitable in any way for DG. Except as a trick; I know pistol shooters have killed buff with them; no hate mail please from you. I have built a few .500 Linebaughs on Ruger frames and that is basically like shooting a 50-90 out of a pistol; Powerful for a revolver but weak for a DG rifle. And they will notch your head if you aren't careful with them. You know what I mean.

Posts: 17288 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of D R Hunter
posted Hide Post
For D/G I'll vote for:

450 NE: http://ammoguide.com/?catid=152
instead of 460 S&W
499 HE: http://ammoguide.com/?catid=749
instead of 500 S&W

I'm betting with todays powders both of my suggested rounds could be shortened
to 3 inches, and still give 2150 FPS, (or greater in the right type of actions), AND
stay within safe pressure levels...

D/R Hunter

Correct bullet placement, combined with the required depth of bullet penetration, results in an anchored animal...

Posts: 997 | Location: Florida - A Little North of Tampa  | Registered: 07 August 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Mike Brooks
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by D R Hunter:

to 3 inches, and still give 2150 FPS, (or greater in the right type of actions), AND

Why mess with sucess? A quarter inch is nothing to worry about.

NRA Life
ASSRA Life
DRSS

Today's Quote:
Give a man a fish and he eats for a day. Give a man a welfare check, a free cell phone with free monthly minutes, food stamps, section 8 housing, a forty ounce malt liquor, a crack pipe and some Air Jordan's and he votes Democrat for a lifetime.

Posts: 4096 | Location: Cherkasy Ukraine  | Registered: 19 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of D R Hunter
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mike Brooks:
quote:

Why mess with sucess? A quarter inch is nothing to worry about.

Reduce the potential need for fillers.

D/R Hunter

Correct bullet placement, combined with the required depth of bullet penetration, results in an anchored animal...

Posts: 997 | Location: Florida - A Little North of Tampa  | Registered: 07 August 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Maybe what Big Will means is that a 460 or a.500 S/W with a 20-22" barrel could produce enough speed and energy so to qualify for a DG load. And I think there would no need to "wildcat" them.
A similar round, the 454 Casull, produces 2000-2100 fps with a 300 grains bullet when shot in a 20" Rossi carbine, so a 500 S&W, with a 500 grains bullet could probably yield a similar speed.
The trouble is that the 454 needs 50.000 psi and probably the other two handgun cartidges mentioned work with similar pressures. And those pressures are too much for a double rifle. It is much easier to begin with the old NE cartridges and their big cases.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
These cartridges were meant to absolutely maximize power in a handgun platform. At 50-65K pressures, they're not what a DR should loaded with.

Posts: 20165 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Mike Brooks
posted Hide Post
quote:

Fillers aren't anything to worry about.

NRA Life
ASSRA Life
DRSS

Today's Quote:
Give a man a fish and he eats for a day. Give a man a welfare check, a free cell phone with free monthly minutes, food stamps, section 8 housing, a forty ounce malt liquor, a crack pipe and some Air Jordan's and he votes Democrat for a lifetime.

Posts: 4096 | Location: Cherkasy Ukraine  | Registered: 19 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of D R Hunter
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

There are MANY who argue the opposite position.

An undeniable fact though is, that if they can be avoided
it is better to avoid them; as the fewer steps there are
to a reloading process the less likelihood there is for an
error to be made. K.I.S.S. say the engineers of the world.

D/R Hunter

One of Us
Picture of Mike Brooks
posted Hide Post
It's not that much extra and has been proven to work fine by many here and around the world for many years.

Read Graeme Wrights book for a starter.
"Shooting the British Double Rifle"

NRA Life
ASSRA Life
DRSS

Today's Quote:

One of Us
Picture of Bill73
posted Hide Post
Fillers just have a reputation,why nobody knows,you want to shoot DR's? learn how to reload Smiler

DRSS

Posts: 2282 | Location: MI | Registered: 20 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of cal pappas
posted Hide Post
I'm with Biebs--pressures are too high for a double. Buy a 4-bore.
Cheers,
Cal

Cal Pappas, Willow, Alaska
www.CalPappas.com
www.CalPappas.blogspot.com
1994 Zimbabwe
1997 Zimbabwe
1998 Zimbabwe
1999 Zimbabwe
1999 Namibia, Botswana, Zambia--vacation
2000 Australia
2002 South Africa
2003 South Africa
2003 Zimbabwe
2005 South Africa
2005 Zimbabwe
2006 Tanzania
2006 Zimbabwe--vacation
2007 Zimbabwe--vacation
2008 Zimbabwe
2012 Australia
2013 South Africa
2013 Zimbabwe
2013 Australia
2016 Zimbabwe
2017 Zimbabwe
2018 South Africa
2018 Zimbabwe--vacation
2019 South Africa
2019 Botswana
2019 Zimbabwe vacation
2021 South Africa
2021 South Africa (2nd hunt a month later)

Posts: 7281 | Location: Willow, Alaska | Registered: 29 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BrettAKSCI
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:

There are MANY who argue the opposite position.

An undeniable fact though is, that if they can be avoided
it is better to avoid them; as the fewer steps there are

Many double rifle cartridges filler can be avoided with the use of certain powders like IMR 4831 for example.

Brett

PS. I see ZERO practical reason or advantage for the fore mentioned cartridges and the re-sale would be SEVERELY affected by being chambered in these bazar double rifle cartridges.

DRSS
Life Member SCI
Life Member NRA
Life Member WSF

Rhyme of the Sheep Hunter
May fordings never be too deep, And alders not too thick; May rock slides never be too steep And ridges not too slick.
And may your bullets shoot as swell As Fred Bear's arrow's flew; And may your nose work just as well As Jack O'Connor's too.
May winds be never at your tail When stalking down the steep; May bears be never on your trail When packing out your sheep.
May the hundred pounds upon you Not make you break or trip; And may the plane in which you flew Await you at the strip.
-Seth Peterson

Posts: 4551 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 21 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Akshooter
posted Hide Post
The state of Indiana requires the cartridge case be under 2 inches to be leagle for deer. That might be a fairly esoteric reason to build such a thing but I'm here right now came down for a wedding and I've been watching deer e dry night out behind my brother in laws house.

DRSS
NRA life
AK Master Guide 124

Posts: 1562 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 05 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Dave Bush
posted Hide Post
Why not just pick up a Ruger #1 in 460 S&W or .475 Linebaugh/480 Ruger?

Dave
DRSS
Chapuis 9.3X74
Chapuis "Jungle" .375 FL
Krieghoff 500/.416 NE
Krieghoff 500 NE

"Git as close as y can laddie an then git ten yards closer"

"If the biggest, baddest animals on the planet are on the menu, and you'd rather pay a taxidermist than a mortician, consider the 500 NE as the last word in life insurance." Hornady Handbook of Cartridge Reloading (8th Edition).

Posts: 3728 | Location: Midwest | Registered: 26 November 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of D R Hunter
posted Hide Post
Shorter brass means more efficient powder burn.
Ask this, if today was the day that for the first
time, a .458 caliber DR intended cartridge was
being invented, how long would the brass be?
I'd bet 3 inch max. And if used in B. Bradshaws
Farquharson DR, maybe 2.5" and you'd still get
2150 FPS, with 500 grain bullets at acceptable
pressure, and no extanious filler.

D/R Hunter

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
as the fewer steps there are

So in the theme of K.I.S.S you find it more simple to design and chamber an entirely new cartridge and build a custom one off wildcat double instead of simply putting a little filler or better yet using a bulk powder when you reload?

I'm not getting the simple part here?

By all means if you want to build this rifle and cartridge go for it. But don't try and convince the world that a total redesign and one off build is the "simple" solution when in reality it takes about 1 second to stuff a little Dacron into the nose of your cartridge before seating a bullet. OR you can simply use a powder like IMR 4831 and skip the filler all together.

You are coming up for a solution to a nonexistent problem.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
The 500 S&W and 460 S&W are way too much pressure for a double rifle build. Go with something already out there... Doubles are different than bolt guns...not a good platform for trying new things with.
Also, the whole "romance" thing with a double, is to shoot the old cool NE and BPE cartridges.
ND Cool

Stephen Grant 500BPE
Joseph Harkom 450BPE

Posts: 625 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: 21 October 2008Reply With Quote