THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM DOUBLE RIFLES FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Double Rifles    My First Ever Double Rifle Came From Santa This Year
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

My First Ever Double Rifle Came From Santa This Year
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of crshelton
posted
Having shot Parker guns most of my life, I am no stranger to double guns, but became intrigued with the idea of a .405 WCF double rifle to be company for my 1895 TD .405. I looked far and wide for such a rifle without success until finally, I learned that a kindly gun maker had made one for himself, but was so busy making guns that he had no time to hunt. He understood my plight and provided Santa with one for me by this Christmas. The complete cased kit was in my Christmas day post and generating many requests for more details

Simson &Co. Suhl .405 WCF Double Rifle

The rifle is based upon an engraved 12 gauge Simson shotgun with a scalloped boxlock action with a Greener cross bolt, tang safety, side clips and cocking indicators.
]

The 24 inch McGowen barrels with sling swivel stud have a rear express sight with one standing leaf and two folding leaves, an orange fiber optic bead front sight, nicely crowned muzzles, extractors, and claw scope mounts integral to the rib. The kit includes a Leupold Variable 1x4 scope sight with quick detach Talley rings.

The stunning Claro hard walnut stock with right side palm swell, left side cheek piece and classic splinter forend really set off the piece. The stock is fitted with a steel grip cap, sling swivel stud, and a Kick Eze recoil pad.

A few more specifications of interest include weight of 10 pounds with balance at the action, overall length of 40 inches, LOP of 14.25 inches, triggers pull at 4.1 pounds, and minimal drop at the comb. I must be living right because it fits like it was made for me!
The rifle was proofed with 400 grain bullets loaded with the 300 grain service load. It was regulated with 300 grain Hornady JSP bullets at 2100 FPS and this information is stamped into the barrel flats.
I plan to shoot the rifle as soon as the monsoon stops and the ranges dry out and will report back on that. A January hog hunt will be my first chance to take game with it.

NRA Life Benefactor Member,
DRSS, DWWC, Whittington
Center,Android Reloading
Ballistics App at
http://www.xplat.net/

Posts: 2294 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 25 May 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Damn nice looking rifle!!! Somebody loves you.

Posts: 4214 | Location: Southern Colorado | Registered: 09 October 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
That's a good looking rifle. Where did you find the case?

Eric

NRA Benefactor
TSRA Life
DRSS
Brno ZP-149 45-120 NE

Posts: 937 | Location: Corpus Christi, Texas | Registered: 09 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of cal pappas
posted Hide Post
very nice.
Cal

Cal Pappas, Willow, Alaska
www.CalPappas.com
www.CalPappas.blogspot.com
1994 Zimbabwe
1997 Zimbabwe
1998 Zimbabwe
1999 Zimbabwe
1999 Namibia, Botswana, Zambia--vacation
2000 Australia
2002 South Africa
2003 South Africa
2003 Zimbabwe
2005 South Africa
2005 Zimbabwe
2006 Tanzania
2006 Zimbabwe--vacation
2007 Zimbabwe--vacation
2008 Zimbabwe
2012 Australia
2013 South Africa
2013 Zimbabwe
2013 Australia
2016 Zimbabwe
2017 Zimbabwe
2018 South Africa
2018 Zimbabwe--vacation
2019 South Africa
2019 Botswana
2019 Zimbabwe vacation
2021 South Africa
2021 South Africa (2nd hunt a month later)

Posts: 7281 | Location: Willow, Alaska | Registered: 29 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of crshelton
posted Hide Post
The case came with the gun- all part of the kit.

DRSS, DWWC, Whittington
Center,Android Reloading
Ballistics App at

Posts: 2294 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 25 May 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jorge
posted Hide Post
That is a LOVELY rifle in a LOVELY cartridge. I passed up a Manton years ago for next to nothing and I've been kicking myself ever since.

USN (ret)
DRSS Verney-Carron 450NE
Cogswell & Harrison 375 Fl NE
Sabatti Big Five 375 FL Magnum NE
DSC Life Member
NRA Life Member

Posts: 7143 | Location: Orange Park, Florida. USA | Registered: 22 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bill73
posted Hide Post
Congratulations,that is a fine rifle,looking forward to the range report.

DRSS

Posts: 2277 | Location: MI | Registered: 20 March 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Ten pounds seems just about right for those ballistics, Charles. Should be very comfortable to shoot.

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16371 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for sharing CS...Santa came by your chimney first. I only got a bag of M&Ms..

DRSS: HQ Scandinavia. Chapters in Sweden & Norway

Posts: 2805 | Location: Denmark | Registered: 09 June 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
Very nice! Santa must think you have been a very good boy, because he didn't short change you this Christmas!
......................................................................Welcome to DRSS!
................Mac

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of mt Al
posted Hide Post
NICE!! You must have some good mojo going on to get that DR. Have fun with it!

Posts: 1064 | Location: Bozeman, MT | Registered: 21 October 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of crshelton
posted Hide Post
Eric,
I just learned that the case came from here:
https://jeffsoutfitters.com/st...ategoryid=51&panel=1
Shop away!

MACD37,
Thanks for the DRSS ! Now I can participate in some of the double rifle shoots in Texas.

DRSS, DWWC, Whittington
Center,Android Reloading
Ballistics App at

One of Us
posted Hide Post
CR,

Thanks for the case info.

Eric

NRA Benefactor
TSRA Life
DRSS
Brno ZP-149 45-120 NE

Posts: 937 | Location: Corpus Christi, Texas | Registered: 09 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of drhall762
posted Hide Post
That is a beauty in a great cartridge. Can't wait for the range reports.

Dave

In 100 years who of us will care?
An armed society is a polite society!
Just because they say you are paranoid doesn't mean they are not out to get you.

Posts: 899 | Location: Ammon, NC | Registered: 31 December 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of crshelton
posted Hide Post
BTT = picture of crowned muzzle and scope on rifle.

DRSS, DWWC, Whittington
Center,Android Reloading
Ballistics App at

One of Us
Picture of Dom
posted Hide Post
Nice outfit, congrats. Santa was good to you.

-------- There are those who only reload so they can shoot, and then there are those who only shoot so they can reload. I belong to the first group. Dom ---------

Posts: 728 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 15 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
What a lovely rifle, and interesting cartridge.
I have only one suggestion. I use a fiber optic bead on my double as well. They are somewhat fragile. I had my builder add a provision for a windowed hood for the front ramp, to protect the plastic. I got tired of replacing the sight.

Posts: 1978 | Location: South Dakota | Registered: 22 August 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fla3006
posted Hide Post
Nice looking rifle, congrats! I like Parker shotguns too.

NRA Life Member, Band of Bubbas Charter Member, PGCA, DRSS.
Shoot & hunt with vintage classics.

Posts: 9487 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 11 January 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Lovely rifle, great caliber, superb whiskey. Wish you lived next door so I could help you enjoy both.

Now go shoot that rifle.

Posts: 231 | Location: Central Oregon | Registered: 08 September 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
CS,

Have you had a chance to put it through it's paces at the range?

NRA Benefactor
TSRA Life
DRSS
Brno ZP-149 45-120 NE

One of Us
Picture of crshelton
posted Hide Post
ELeeton,
Been slow going due to weather and following the break-in process of the barrel maker, McGowen.
To complete the break-in shooting, I went to the range last Sunday afternoon and fired 6 rounds through each barrel and then scrubbed for copper - no copper found! Break in over.

Another positive from that outing was this target which shows my first right barrel shot at 50 yards in the bulls eye!

When I get used to the wide V of the express sights, accuracy should improve, but it good enough now for hogs and woods deer. The 2 shots at 100 yards were wasted due to inability to resolve the red bulls eye, so I will stick with 50 yards for now.
Next is shooting right and then left for grouping and then left and right at the same bull for spacing.
So far it has been 6 Hornady factory 300 grain ammo and 6 hand loaded Barnes 300 grain TSX, both at just over 2200 fps, and they shoot to the same point of aim. This means that my trove of loaded .405 ammo for my 1895 will be useable in the double too; more good news.
Thanks for asking and I will do the next round of shooting ASAP and provide a more detailed report with pix of targets.

PS The .405 recoil is more like my .308 - thanks to the weight and design of the double. It really is fun to shoot. Smiler

DRSS, DWWC, Whittington
Center,Android Reloading
Ballistics App at

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Who did the stock work on the Simpon Suhl? I have a Simson Suhl conversion (450/400 NE 3") that I'd love to have restocked.

Posts: 486 | Location: Moving | Registered: 23 September 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of crshelton
posted Hide Post
Brian Dudley:

http://bmdgunstocks.com/about-us/

The stock is also in his portfolio; it is the last one of some beautiful wood working:
http://bmdgunstocks.com/portfolio/stock-making/

DRSS, DWWC, Whittington
Center,Android Reloading
Ballistics App at