THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM DOUBLE RIFLES FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Double Rifles    Zeiss 4x32 claw mounts value?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Zeiss 4x32 claw mounts value?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I have an old Ziess 4x32 with claw mounts on it that used to be on a double rifle.
Can anyone tell me what this scope might be worth? I'm guessing it must be from the early '70s to late '60s and am considering selling it instead of letting it gather dust.
Thanks.

Posts: 2286 | Location: Aussie in Italy | Registered: 20 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Akshooter
posted Hide Post
Since the rings of claw mounts are hand fitted to the bases I don't think those rings will add much if any value to the scope.

When a double rifle has been fitted with claw mounts they are kind of married at that point.
You can add another scope of similar lingth to the bases by haveing another set of rings fitted to the bases (expensive)but in general theres not a lot of interchangeability with them.

DRSS
NRA life
AK Master Guide 124

Posts: 1562 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 05 February 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
This scope has a rail underneath it and the claw mounts can be moved along it so it would be able to adapt to a lots of claw recesses providing the claws are compatable.

Posts: 2286 | Location: Aussie in Italy | Registered: 20 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My limited experience suggests Akshooter is correct in saying the rings are probably not interchangeable.

I have claw mounts on two DRs; same type mounts - installed by the same gunmaker - virtually identical in appearance - both holding Leupold 1.5x5s and almost the same spacing. I had some thoughts about adjusting spacing so one could be a spare for the other. I checked each front ring against the other front mount. Neither fit, so I didn't chase that bright idea any further. The tolerances are obviously very close to allow the repeatable zero both exibit. Damn sure don't want to force such finely fit pieces.

Good luck,
Emory

Posts: 403 | Location: Houston | Registered: 09 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
Claw mounts are fitted by hand and are not interchangeable. The scope, if it's a Diatal-C, is worth around US$250-300 or so. If it's older than that, then who knows?

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13653 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
These are still much sought after in Yurrup! I would suggest either an eBay listing that is biddable on by Europeans - but be careful with Italy or anywhere in the former Iron Curtain countries.

Or send it to one of the British auction houses such as Gavin Gardiner at Sothebys, Bonhams, or Holts Auctioneers.

I sold a Diatal-ZA 4x32 with Gavin Gardiner last year 2009 and it realised some £230 UK which is what? $340 US?

With these reputable auction houses rather than eBay you have no worry about Italian bidders claiming that it was "lost in the post" and doing a Paypal clawback!

Or mention it on the European Hunting section of this Forum. I think that you will sell it within days!

Posts: 6821 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: 18 November 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Cheers Enfieldspares. I'll put it up in the UE forum then see about ebay.