THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM DOUBLE RIFLES FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Double Rifles    I think I messed up... bought the wrong 45-70 ammo for my Baikal double
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

I think I messed up... bought the wrong 45-70 ammo for my Baikal double
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I Found some 45-70 and bought it with out looking at the Velocity. Is the Winchester Super X 45-70 300 grain at 1800 fps too hot for the Baikal Double? I can't seem to find the pressure online tonight... maybe to tired and Google-fu too weak. Is this considered a trapdoor load or a lever gun load?

D R S S member as of 4/30/2014.

Posts: 56 | Location: Spring Hill, TN USA | Registered: 04 December 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've shot plenty of Leverevolution ammo in a couple of Baikal doubles I've had, and it's a 325gr bullet at 1729fps according to Hornady. It's certainly not one of the hot Ruger-singleshot-only loadings.

The Baikal is good for any modern standard load.

Posts: 1028 | Location: Manitoba, Canada | Registered: 01 December 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by zgunbear:
Thanks the only pressure info I found was showing the Winchester right at the limit on the rifle.
I don't want to blow myself up. Had a pistol blow in my hand years ago and don't want tht to happen again.
I was shooting ammo I bought at gun show that was over pressure it was from a commercial reloader.

Posts: 56 | Location: Spring Hill, TN USA | Registered: 04 December 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Those loads will be fine for a Baikal. They are made from surplus Russian tank turrets.

Posts: 17291 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Macs B
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Thanks the only pressure info I found was showing the Winchester right at the limit on the rifle.
I don't want to blow myself up. Had a pistol blow in my hand years ago and don't want tht to happen again.
I was shooting ammo I bought at gun show that was over pressure it was from a commercial reloader.

If you would be so kind as to post up the source of info you found regarding pressure limits on Baikal rifles. I've never found anything resembling technical specifications beyond a owners manual.

Macs B
U.S. Army Retired
Alles gut!

Posts: 378 | Location: USA | Registered: 07 December 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
http://www.kifaruforums.net/ar...ndex.php/t-6591.html
wading through the physics and science shows Remington said that 28,000 CUP one article online linked to a convertor to go from ABR to PSI 2200 BAR equals 31000 PSI. It may handle more but I am going to stay on the low side due to my past misadventure.