THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM DOUBLE RIFLES FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Double Rifles    Cast bullets in 470 NE ( pictures added )
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Cast bullets in 470 NE ( pictures added )
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I have some 440 Grain gas checked bullets, I was wondering if anyone has some good starting points.

We can only shoot "steel" at my gun club with lead or "plated" bullets. I want to give those plates a work out.

Posts: 41869 | Location: Crosby and Barksdale, Texas | Registered: 18 September 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Load them with the same load as the 500 gr jacketed if you want full power. 72 grs of Varget or RL-15 is a nice practice load with 400 to 450 gr bullets. Put a good card wad under the bullet or foam filler.

Posts: 2833 | Location: NC | Registered: 08 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of subsailor74
posted Hide Post
I use 40 gr of AA 5744 with a 440 gr cast gas check in my Searcy 470NE double. It is a very mild recoiling load and only shoots a bit lower than my full power loads.

Posts: 1594 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 29 September 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thank you Gentlemen.

Posts: 41869 | Location: Crosby and Barksdale, Texas | Registered: 18 September 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I use Trail Boss in mine with 410 gas checked bullets, using the formula posted several times on this forum. Low recoil and shoot plenty close to point of aim at 40 to 50 yards. Doesn't take much powder either.

Karl

Karl Evans

Posts: 2824 | Location: Emhouse, Tx | Registered: 03 February 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for all the help Gentlemen.

I tried a load using Accurate 5744, tried 53 and 56 grains with a 440g Rimrock WFN Gas Check.

This is a 25 yard group. I think it will work just fine for bangin' plates for practice.
Both loads shot the same, at least at 25 yards.

I tried some in 458 WM, didn't work out so well....the bullets mic'ed at .459 I think I'll need .460 or .461 the three in the center where 450 grain Barnes.

These didn't "fly" too well...... Wink

One of Us
Picture of DUKE NUKEM
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JTEX:

I tried a load using Accurate 5744, tried 53 and 56 grains with a 440g Rimrock WFN Gas Check.

This is a 25 yard group. I think it will work just fine for bangin' plates for practice.

I tried some in 458 WM, didn't work out so well....the bullets mic'ed at .459 I think I'll need .460 or .461 the three in the center where 450 grain Barnes.

These didn't "fly" too well...... Wink

Get one of the 2 cavity .458 500 grain Gas Checked LEE Moulds. You will find them to be quite over sized and applicable. HERE
My .458 does well with them with no leading. Would you like for me to send you some to test out J?

Posts: 1073 | Registered: 10 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks a bunch Duke, very kind offer, I really am not quite ready to get into casting yet, too many irons in the fire.

I just got in some cast performance sized to .460 I'm gonna give them a try this weekend....maybe get some round holes???

one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:

Good show Jtex,it is great when things work out right. tu2

I don't think you could do better than that! I Assume the shots on the left are from the left barrel, and shots on the right are from the right barrel the load is perfectly regulated. If they are crossing at 25 yds they will spread at 50 yds. In any event that is a good load for snap shooting practice at close range, and speed re-load training.

.................................................................... beer

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I don't think you could do better than that! I Assume the shots on the left are from the left barrel, and shots on the right are from the right barrel the load is perfectly regulated. If they are crossing at 25 yds they will spread at 50 yds. In any event that is a good load for snap shooting practice at close range, and speed re-load training.

t
Thanks Mac. I didn't keep track of the shots..... But It regulates well. I was busting clays on the 50 yard berm with this load Sunday so I think t will be fine.

That's exactly what I was lookin for, something to practice with for reloads and quick snaps at steel plates....we can only shoot steel with lead bullets on our 50 yard berms and these loads oughta do well.

I think this is fixin to be a whole lot of fun......

one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:
I think this is fixin to be a whole lot of fun......

I think you are right about that! tu2

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I bet that load would smack ol' porky a good one too. I need to find a place to go do that!