New
Find
Notify
Tools

Merkel 9.3x74 DR BBL OD?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
If anyone has a Merkel Model 140 or 150 in 9.3x74R, I'm looking to determine the diameter of the barrels at the muzzle end. Someone I know is re-chambering one to a wildcat caliber, and needs a barrel at least .620 in diameter for safety considerations.

Posts: 20139 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Alaskaman11
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Biebs:
If anyone has a Merkel Model 140 or 150 in 9.3x74R, I'm looking to determine the diameter of the barrels at the muzzle end. Someone I know is re-chambering one to a wildcat caliber, and needs a barrel at least .620 in diameter for safety considerations.

got a Chapuis if it helps?

Double Rifles, This is the weapon of a Jedi Knight. Not as clumsy or random as bolt rifle. An elegant weapon for a more civilized age.

DRSS
Chapuis 9.3x74R
NRA Life Member

Posts: 293 | Location: Anchorage Alaska | Registered: 27 December 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
AK, I think he has the Merkel to work with, at least for now. But if you get the measurement on the Chapuis, I'd let him know in case that might be an alternative.

Thanks!

Posts: 20139 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Mike Brooks
posted Hide Post
My Chapuis is .520. I'm betting the Ak's will be the same. Wink

Except he'll probably use a yardstick. Big Grin

NRA Life
ASSRA Life
DRSS

Today's Quote:
Give a man a fish and he eats for a day. Give a man a welfare check, a free cell phone with free monthly minutes, food stamps, section 8 housing, a forty ounce malt liquor, a crack pipe and some Air Jordan's and he votes Democrat for a lifetime.

Posts: 4096 | Location: Cherkasy Ukraine  | Registered: 19 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks....that'll kill that idea :-(

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mike, that's a Model 140 right? Not a 141?

One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
As long as he is leaving it in .366 groove diameter, he won't have any problems; if the breech can take the pressure, the muzzle certainly can. Of course, if he is re-0boring it to a larger caliber, that might make the muzzle dia too small. I doubt if the Merkel is .650; my 450-400 is only .675. The 9.3s I have owned all had and have muzzle diameters in the .550 range. Or less. 9.3 double rifles tend to have very small muzzle diameters; for safety, quite enough but it does make for some brisk back thrust and muzzle jump. aa

Posts: 17179 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Mike Brooks
posted Hide Post
Beibs, I said it was a Chapuis, NOT a Merkel.

NRA Life
ASSRA Life
DRSS

Today's Quote:
Give a man a fish and he eats for a day. Give a man a welfare check, a free cell phone with free monthly minutes, food stamps, section 8 housing, a forty ounce malt liquor, a crack pipe and some Air Jordan's and he votes Democrat for a lifetime.

Posts: 4096 | Location: Cherkasy Ukraine  | Registered: 19 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Alaskaman11
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mike Brooks:

yep, its about

this big! Big Grin

Double Rifles, This is the weapon of a Jedi Knight. Not as clumsy or random as bolt rifle. An elegant weapon for a more civilized age.

DRSS
Chapuis 9.3x74R
NRA Life Member

Posts: 293 | Location: Anchorage Alaska | Registered: 27 December 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Mike Brooks
posted Hide Post
jumping jumping jumping jumping jumping

NRA Life
ASSRA Life
DRSS

Today's Quote:

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
this big! Big Grin

Yes, that's what your wife told me :-)

one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
My Merkel 140E-1, 9.3X74R measures .531 at muzzle with just under 24 inch barrels! Nowhere near .620 inch

....................................................................... coffee

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mac, thanks....I've heard the same from others.

one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
Biebs what cartridge was he wanting to re-chamber for? If he wants to gain power, and doesn't mind re-regulating the rifle he could simply re-chamber to an improved case like the Ackley improved and use the 320 gr bullet from Woodliegh. Then the muzzle wouldn’t matter!

DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

One of Us
posted Hide Post
He's playing around with a 416x74R. He already has a Merkel DR in 416 Rigby that he wants to sell....guess he wants a rimmed 416 of his own design.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Jon
I have a Merkel K1 in 9.3x74r that should be in today or tomorrow I can measure if that will help
Thank
Bobby

One of Us
Picture of PSmith
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
this big! Big Grin

Yes, that's what your wife told me :-)

Now that was damn funny JB

Paul Smith
SCI Life Member
NRA Life Member
DSC Member
Life Member of the "I Can't Wait to Get Back to Africa" Club
DRSS
I had the privilege to fire E. Hemingway's WR .577NE, E. Keith's WR .470NE, & F. Jamieson's WJJ .500 Jeffery
I strongly recommend avoidance of "The Zambezi Safari & Travel Co., Ltd." and "Pisces Sportfishing-Cabo San Lucas"

"A failed policy of national defense is its own punishment" Otto von Bismarck

Posts: 2545 | Location: The 'Ham | Registered: 25 May 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Anything that would clean up the rifling will be way too big or the barrels.

He should do .41 instead. The bullets are meant to go much slower than .416 bullets.

Posts: 956 | Location: PNW | Registered: 27 April 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Scriptus
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Alaskaman11:
quote:
Originally posted by Mike Brooks:

yep, its about

this big! Big Grin

That is diameter? Rightttt??? Roll Eyes

Posts: 3297 | Location: South of the Equator. | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
He's playing around with a 416x74R. He already has a Merkel DR in 416 Rigby that he wants to sell....guess he wants a rimmed 416 of his own design.

I have a .408x74R reamer, of my own design... Haven't done anything with it in years though...

DM

Posts: 696 | Location: Upper Midwest, USA | Registered: 07 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
I see; you will end up with a long .405 or a short 40-90 Sharps. You will need new barrels; reboring a 9.3 won't work, as you already know. Just install new barrels in the monoblock , or braze a shoe lump on.

one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dpcd:
I see; you will end up with a long .405 or a short 40-90 Sharps. You will need new barrels; reboring a 9.3 won't work, as you already know. Just install new barrels in the monoblock , or braze a shoe lump on.

The Merkel 140-1and two are shoelump barreled rifles!

DRSS Charter member

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Then you could sleeve the new barrels into the cut off breech end; treating it as a monoblock, which it is; a brazed together one.