THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM DOUBLE RIFLES FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Double Rifles    Two bloody nice books in the mail today, and signed...
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Two bloody nice books in the mail today, and signed...
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
dancing

Collected the mail today, and happily received two bloody nice hardcover books in the mail, signed by the author. There are loads of double rifles throughout the pages, and some good info on what to do when the shit hits the fan. You might guess, but the books are the two written by the controversial PH Mark Sullivan. He is a true gentleman, and I will treasure these welcome additions to my library. He even wrote a neat personal message in each. On a tangent, what he does is not as easy as it looks... this past weekend I enjoyed my first encounter with a truly aggressive bull buffalo, who did everything he could to attack us, unprovoked. There was no full-on charge, but there was a deliberate, steady approach / chase for a couple-hundred yards, including crossing a billabong to get to us. I did the job, with my Merkel double .500NE, but although some shots were perfect, others were less-so. I admit to being slightly rattled. Shooting an adrenaline-charged bull is HEAPS different to shooting a merely curious bull, or one that has decided to commence departure. It was a good learning experience, and a good reminder for me not to get too complacent, as there is always that one-in-a-hundred who will misbehave. Anyway, I've got a few things to think about to prepare me for the next time I have a confrontation. But back to the books, they're absolutely grand, with awesome photographs and stories and information. And my thanks go to Shawn Joyce for organising this for me.

tu2

Posts: 1077 | Location: NT, Australia | Registered: 10 February 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of cal pappas
posted Hide Post
Ben:
Sounds like you will enjoy your books from Mark as I have!
Cal

Cal Pappas, Willow, Alaska
www.CalPappas.com
www.CalPappas.blogspot.com
1994 Zimbabwe
1997 Zimbabwe
1998 Zimbabwe
1999 Zimbabwe
1999 Namibia, Botswana, Zambia--vacation
2000 Australia
2002 South Africa
2003 South Africa
2003 Zimbabwe
2005 South Africa
2005 Zimbabwe
2006 Tanzania
2006 Zimbabwe--vacation
2007 Zimbabwe--vacation
2008 Zimbabwe
2012 Australia
2013 South Africa
2013 Zimbabwe
2013 Australia
2016 Zimbabwe
2017 Zimbabwe
2018 South Africa
2018 Zimbabwe--vacation
2019 South Africa
2019 Botswana
2019 Zimbabwe vacation
2021 South Africa
2021 South Africa (2nd hunt a month later)

Posts: 7281 | Location: Willow, Alaska | Registered: 29 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ben,

I also bought Mark's two books and, although I bought the "cheapy" editions, he signed and inscribed them for me. Totally unnecessary...........but absolutely appreciated.

Mark has a distinctive style. He's absolutely enthusiastic about what he does. He's experienced how it should be done "properly" and is passionate about what he does.

He is very opionated and comes across as animated. However, given his experience I think he's entitled to his opinions and he has the pictures to back it up.

He's been pretty heavily trashed on this website by some............but not by those who have met or hunted with him.

After reading the latest "pizzling" he's gotten here I immediately bought his new DVD "Use Enough Death" (crummy title !!!) and took advantage of his offer of two additional DVDs for $12 each. I picked Shot to Death and Sudden Death. I've also ordered Simba, Mbogo and Africa's Black Death.

Haven't got them yet but am looking forward to it.

I particularly liked his description of shooting his new .600 Marcel Thys double first time. Alot of his hairy chested detractors would not publish these sentiments/admissions.

Hope he's "out there", right now, guiding clients and providing more material for books and dvds.

Posts: 348 | Location: queensland, australia | Registered: 07 August 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of retreever
posted Hide Post
Love his books and they are a wonderful read.

Mike

Michael Podwika... DRSS bigbores and hunting www.pvt.co.za " MAKE THE SHOT " 450#2 Famars

Posts: 6768 | Location: Wyoming, Pa. USA | Registered: 17 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Badger Matt
posted Hide Post
I ordered one Mark's books for me and my father, who will accompany me on my first trip to Africa after buffalo next month. Mark kindly inscribed the book and threw in a "best of" video of the buffalo hunts. Nice gent.

Posts: 1262 | Location: Simpsonville, SC | Registered: 25 June 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The two books of Mark are great.

And:
You can see an totaly other MS there, more his inner engery...

Any hunter should read his books, first the hunters witch dont like his DVDs.

Best wishes.

Bockhunter

One of Us
Picture of ExpressYourself
posted Hide Post
Ben…I just arrived home from Europe and while there this past month I took the opportunity to do some hunting in the northern part of Germany and Bavaria with friends. Here are a couple of pictures of deer I killed which I thought you would like to see. A little different from the beasts around your parts!

It was my pleasure to help you with the books you wanted and I am glad they arrived timely and safely. I am happy that you liked the personalized messages and I personally gave Mark your thanks. Talk with you soon.

Cheers,
Shawn

Northern Germany [Heym SR 21 in .30-06]

Bavaria (South/Eastern) Germany [Juch-Grund Ferlach in 7x65R]

Shawn Joyce
Diizche Safari Adventures
P.O. Box 1445
Lincoln, CA 95648
E-mail: shawn.joyce@diizchesafariadventures.net
Cell: (916) 804-3318

Shoot Straight, Live the Dream, and Keep Turning the Pages to Your Next Adventure!™
Website- www.DiizcheSafariAdventures.com
Blog- http://diizchesafari.blogspot.com/
Twitter- http://twitter.com/DiizcheSafari
YouTube- http://www.youtube.com/user/shawncjoyce
Facebook- http://on.fb.me/gYytdn
Instagram: diizchesafari_official

Posts: 874 | Location: Northern CA | Registered: 24 January 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I still need Marks last book. When I am finished studying I have aprox a 40 pcs. book catch-up for the collection.

DRSS: HQ Scandinavia. Chapters in Sweden & Norway

Posts: 2805 | Location: Denmark | Registered: 09 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of tendrams
posted Hide Post
Love the height of that top buck...and that lower rifle....WHEW! NICE!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Shawn, nice stags! And rifles, too!

Posts: 1077 | Location: NT, Australia | Registered: 10 February 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ExpressYourself
posted Hide Post
I was evaluating the Heym SR 21 during several hunts and also the hunt involving the top buck. The hunting gods smiled upon me that day. We had been hunting long and hard for many days constantly looking for the right buck. That day the lease holder said he would allow me to shoot a larger buck should the opportunity present itself.

When that buck came running through the woods, along with two other deer, I prayed he would slow slightly or pause just long enough for a shot through the tangle of trees and brush. Everything came together as is often the magic of hunting. I feel very fortunate to have been able to be a part of this bucks path and circle of life. The glory of that hunt belongs to that great animal. My part was simply pressing the trigger of a finely crafted rifle at the right moment and shooting straight.

Having the opportunity to use and evaluate firearms and equipment provided by manufacturers is something that I greatly appreciate the opportunity to engage in and I am humbled by the opportunity. It can be a double edged sword however if you must tell them that their product fell short in some way.

The Heym SR 21 excelled for me in every way and is truly a high quality firearm. I will be writing up a review in the near future and will be posting it on my blog. I hope you will swing by and give it a read.

The bottom rifle is also a thing of beauty and fine craftsmanship. They each represent two very different rifle styles and of course price points as they are represented. Each are truly great firearms.

Best always,
Shawn

Shawn Joyce
Diizche Safari Adventures
P.O. Box 1445
Lincoln, CA 95648
E-mail: shawn.joyce@diizchesafariadventures.net
Cell: (916) 804-3318

Shoot Straight, Live the Dream, and Keep Turning the Pages to Your Next Adventure!™
Website- www.DiizcheSafariAdventures.com
Blog- http://diizchesafari.blogspot.com/
Twitter- http://twitter.com/DiizcheSafari
YouTube- http://www.youtube.com/user/shawncjoyce
Facebook- http://on.fb.me/gYytdn
Instagram: diizchesafari_official

Posts: 874 | Location: Northern CA | Registered: 24 January 2010Reply With Quote