New
Find
Notify
Tools

Scope adjustment on SxS?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
How is the scope adjustment done? I've begun shooting my new 9.3x74R Chapuis both open sight and with the scope.

Should I adjust the scope so that the right barrel shoots to center?

Oxon

One of Us
posted Hide Post
My advice is:-

Get the gun shooting / regulated with open sights to exactly where you want it.

Then adjust the scope so the Right barrel shoots with the scope exactly the same as with open sights.

Then see where the left barrel shoots which is hopefully the same as with open sights.

You might have to compromise if your gun / scope combo doesn't want to co operate.

Posts: 3191 | Location: Victoria, Australia | Registered: 01 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thank you

Oxon

one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
Oxon, the scope is exactly the same as the iron sights!

Simply find the center of the composite group of both barrels, and adjust the cross hair to the same point of aim that you used with the iron sights to shoot that composite group of both barrels. No sight should be adjusted to only one barrel, hit the exact center between the two barrels, for windage, and then adjust the elevation to the range you want to use the scope to be dead on, usually 100 yds for the smaller chamberings, and 50yds for the .450 and up!

The best way to do this is to fire a composite group with the iron sights. Then take the barrels off the reciever, and place the barrel's lumps in a padded vice with the irons lined up of the aiming point that is half way between the centers of each barrel's individual group. Now mount the scope, and adjust the crosshair to the same aiming point of the of the irons. Now shoot a composite group with the scope, and find the exact center of that composite group of both barrels. Then adjust for elevation............ DONE!
I have never understood why folks want to make this complicated! Confused

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote