Notify
Tools

Chapuis Double in 9.3x74
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Tony:

Yeah, Bal's 9.3 is nice. Nice wood.

Spoke to J. J. today. He asked if I had seen your .400 yet. Then he asked if we had drawn and quartered you at the DRSS event for having done that to it. I told him that we would as soon as we catch you without your pistol. Big Grin Big Grin
------------------------------------------------
"Serious rifles have two barrels, everything else just burns gunpowder."

Posts: 1742 | Location: Texas | Registered: 10 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Re: Without my pistol, will never happen. Wink Big Grin

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Mark
Even Jim G was Impressed with the scoped 400. Though, I do not think he would admit it to you.

He shot it last weekend.
PS. We are supposed to shoot again this weekend.... He wants me to bring my SCOPED Chapuis... I think I have a CONVERT.

Me and Bill74 "Got It Figured Out"...
Whats up with the rest of the DRSS???

JJ did a great job on my 400 and my Drilling.

One of Us
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
My eyes get any worse, I'll be putting a scope on my 400.

When I get a 9.3X74R double it will have a scope also!

Rusty
We Band of Brothers!
DRSS, NRA & SCI Life Member

"I am rejoiced at my fate. Do not be uneasy about me, for I am with my friends."
----- David Crockett in his last letter (to his children), January 9th, 1836
"I will never forsake Texas and her cause. I am her son." ----- Jose Antonio Navarro, from Mexican Prison in 1841
"for I have sworn upon the altar of god eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man." Thomas Jefferson
Declaration of Arbroath April 6, 1320-“. . .It is not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself.”

Posts: 9797 | Location: Missouri City, Texas | Registered: 21 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I just got a new scoped Chapuis in today. The new scope mounts have the Chapuis logo on the side but are marked ERA on the underside (Recknagel). They sit very low on the receiver. When the scope is pivoted on it only clears the front sight by about 1/8".

one of us
posted Hide Post
DLN
One of the set of rings I have are marked that way.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
DLN,Since the first one arrived are the others coming in ahead of schedule or are we still on for Nov.?

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 4313 | Location: Austin,Texas | Registered: 08 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Norman Conquest
This is one that was ordered in Feb.
I will be talking with the export manager tomorrow morning. I should have an update then.

DLN

one of us
posted Hide Post
Rsm458Lott
I kept track of all the shots I fired with my 9,3 on my Oct Nov Safari with my scoped 9,3.
I used the Swarovski 1.5-6x42 scope.
Shots ranged from 40 yards to maybe 140 yards.
Most of the shots were taken at 3.5x to 5x.
The only exception were finishers as when I approach the animal I automatically turn the scope down to 1.5x.

I did shoot one Zebra at @ 100 yards or so with the scope set at 1.5x as I had just walked up on one previously shot, and did not turn up the power before I shot.
I usually walk around with the scope on 3.5 to 4X.

So fixed quality 4x scope should work fine, however I like to be able to crank down when approaching downed animals or when facing the posibility of a charge on a follow up or just bumping into elephants.

I also recommend you get a set of 20ga bbls fitted to your Chapuis, wish I had a set.

I also recommend ejectors, after watching my self on video I think I am starting to prefer them when in a tight situation.

The Chapuis is French, true, however remember the French helped us a great deal durring the Revoultionary War. Big Grin

400 Nitro
The scope on my 400 really proved its worth on this Safari.

I am prepared to say ALL doubles .400 and under should be scoped [with QD mounts of course].

One of Us
posted Hide Post
it took the germans 23 days to run the first panzer division from Berlin into Paris in WWII. If they had hung all of the collaborators in 1945 the french population would have been in the mid-five digits. IMHO the french worth saving today all died in WWI in the trenches. Today they exist, living in the past, still waiting for Napoleon to return and restore them to world prominence, while selling out to the oil money of arabs wholesale. At least the germans had to use guns, not just euros to take over the country. No investment firm is suggesting putting any money in france these days. It is sad to see europe in such serious decline.

Rich

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
it is interesting to note that the only popular french rifle (chapius) uses the double underlug
system invented & patented by franz jaeger of suhl.

so they cannot even design their own weapons, only copy them from the germans !

and they have butchered up the cheekpieces on the new models - have a look at them. one looks like a california searcy, the other is one only a european could love, and the third is a pancake type - larger than it should be but better than the above 2.

i wonder why they paid some "well known stock designer" for this ? don't they realize you cannot improve on the traditional shadow line cheekpiece ?

aaaaah the french !

TOMO577

Posts: 1144 | Location: west of erie, pa | Registered: 15 September 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wink
posted Hide Post
Since a Frenchman (Paul Vieille) invented pyrocellulose I guess we could also say that the poor Germans, English, Americans, etc. couldn't invent their own smokeless powder, the idiots, and had to copy the French.

AR, where the hopeless, hysterical hypochondriacs of history become the nattering nabobs of negativisim.

Posts: 7046 | Location: Rambouillet, France | Registered: 25 June 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
What do these stupid Big Grin Yanks know about France?? I am quite sure - not much!!
If the USA would have only a little part of the tradition, the culture and so on of the France, than never a texan cowboy could be the most important man of the word!! BOOM

Posts: 561 | Location: northern Germany | Registered: 26 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
When I think of the French and arms, I think of the fine French doubles that Eduoard Foa hunted with in the late 1800s; of the first smokeless military repeating rifle; and of the incomparable French artillery that the United States was proud to copy. But then my French came to Virginia about 1658, so I am biased.

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16518 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Hog Killer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Monastery-Forester:
What do these stupid Big Grin Yanks know about France?? I am quite sure - not much!!

sofaOviously not as much as the Germans. Lets see, 1871, 1914, 1939.......... 2020 leftyhammering stir killpc

jumping

Hog Killer

IGNORE YOUR RIGHTS AND THEY'LL GO AWAY!!!
------------------------------------
We Band of Bubbas & STC Hunting Club, The Whomper Club

Posts: 4553 | Location: Walker Co.,Texas | Registered: 05 September 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
An oft told story here involves a meeting of the NATO ministers of defense getting a briefing from Gen Tommy Franks re how the war was going in Iraq in 2004. The french minister stood up and confronted Gen Franks with the question "...why is it that we ministers here in europe all had to learn to speak english, while you Americans never felt the need to learn to speak our languages?". Gen Franks reply was a bit terse, but to the point; "...because if it were not for we Americans fifty years ago you would all have had to learn to speak german...".

I hear on the BBC how the muslim emigrants are the new political force in France, and Germany, and most of the rest of europe. How are the french police handling the issue? Sorry to say this, but I expect when the french have surrendered to the terrorists in fifteen years or so, we will have to send American soldiers again to liberate your country, just as we did in 1917 and 1944. FYI, the "D" in D-Day does not stand for "DeGaulle". My father served in the 82nd Airborne in WWII, and rode a glider in behind the lines in Normandy. He was not there on a tourist visa! Take heart, my grandsons and nephews will be there for you when needed!!

The Chapuis is a very nice double rifle. Over here, we heard that some guy named Nobel was the one who invented, patented, and made billions off of smokeless powder...

Regards,

Rich

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Over here, we heard that some guy named Nobel was the one who invented, patented, and made billions off of smokeless powder...

Roll Eyes Pure BS. Alfred Nobel studied under Vieille in Paris. It was Nobel's friend Vieille who invented the first 'smokeless propellant, Poudre B (a single based semi-smokeless propellant), as well as a safer process for producing nitroglycerin (first produced by Sobrero), neither of which Nobel ever claimed. Nobel made his name by being the first to harness the power of nitroglycerin by perfecting a viable method of detonating it. He then made a lot of money as a young man marketing his "blasting oil". The many disasters with nitro led to his invention of the much more stable dynamite, which was responsible for the overwhelming majority of his wealth.

Nobel picked up where Vieille left off with Poudre B, perfecting a method of adsorbing nitroglycerin into it's gelatinized paste, producing a double based semi-smokeless propellant which Nobel patented as Ballistite (developed in France, the orignal patent was French). Nobel offered Ballistite to the French government, but they had already adopted Vieille's Poudre B.

Two of Nobel's friends, Frederick Abel (a director the the British government's lab) and James Dewar (inventor of the vacuum flask, or Thermos bottle) then stole Nobel's Ballistite patent and patented it in Britain as Cordite, immediately transferring the patent to the British government, which then adopted Cordite for the Royal Navy. Nobel sued, but the Lords saw to it that the fix was in.

While Nobel was commercially very successful with explosives like dynamite and gelignite, his work with semi-smokeless propellants was nothing like as significant as Vieille's.

one of us
Picture of SBT
posted Hide Post
Very interesting!

"There are worse memorials to a life well-lived than a pair of elephant tusks." Robert Ruark

Posts: 4780 | Location: Story, WY / San Carlos, Sonora, MX | Registered: 29 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Idaho Sharpshooter:
An oft told story here involves a meeting of the NATO ministers of defense getting a briefing from Gen Tommy Franks re how the war was going in Iraq in 2004. The french minister stood up and confronted Gen Franks with the question "...why is it that we ministers here in europe all had to learn to speak english, while you Americans never felt the need to learn to speak our languages?". Gen Franks reply was a bit terse, but to the point; "...because if it were not for we Americans fifty years ago you would all have had to learn to speak german...".

I hear on the BBC how the muslim emigrants are the new political force in France, and Germany, and most of the rest of europe. How are the french police handling the issue? Sorry to say this, but I expect when the french have surrendered to the terrorists in fifteen years or so, we will have to send American soldiers again to liberate your country, just as we did in 1917 and 1944. FYI, the "D" in D-Day does not stand for "DeGaulle". My father served in the 82nd Airborne in WWII, and rode a glider in behind the lines in Normandy. He was not there on a tourist visa! Take heart, my grandsons and nephews will be there for you when needed!!

The Chapuis is a very nice double rifle. Over here, we heard that some guy named Nobel was the one who invented, patented, and made billions off of smokeless powder...

Regards,

Rich

We have no new political power from Islam, not in Germany and really not in France! Yes, there are a lot of muslims in France, no wonder, a great part of nothern Africa was french colonnie! But in Germany there is no, but really no political power from Islam, we have some millions muslims living here without any problem, without terroristical background!

P.S.: please, why are always speaking about the help for Europe in WW I and II? I think the strongest, perhaps not the uncritical partner of the USA is Germany! We have a very dark history, no question.
O yes, my father was also in action at "D-Day", sorry, on the wrong side!
But I think it is a bit infantil, to speak about France as "spineless", you have heard perhaps about "French Revolution", without her we have a lot of other problems today!

Posts: 561 | Location: northern Germany | Registered: 26 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Monastery,
I have no problem with your father fighting for his country in WWII. The germans respect the US, and vice-versa.
Our disagreement was over your politics. It is interesting to see that the three staunchest allies of the US have been Britain, Germany, and Japan the past fifty years.

How is it that most shooters have never had the opportunity to buy any of this amazing french smokeless powder, and that there is only a Nobel series of prizes and not the trememdous Veielle series of companies and humanitarian encouragement.?
It is difficult to discuss france in terms of economic achievements since WWII.
Cars: Citroen and Peugot...motorcycles...hmmmm, computer science...medical advancements...the arts...
Military...firearms...the Mas series...handguns...the Chapuis stands alone as a quality product produced from scratch in france since 1939. The wine is pretty good also.
As far as the french revolution...a real step forward, replacing the monarchy with anarchy, and then Napoleon...
Just a sad story to relate...

Rich

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Idaho Sharpshooter:
How is it that most shooters have never had the opportunity to buy any of this amazing french smokeless powder, and that there is only a Nobel series of prizes and not the trememdous Veielle series of companies and humanitarian encouragement.?

We HAVE been buying "this amazing French smokeless powder" for years. Vieille invented single base (nitrocellulose; NC) smokeless gunpowder. DuPont and others have manufactured it in the US for over a century. Vieille invented it, period.

The Nobel Prize was funded with the residue of Alfred Nobel's estate. His wealth came overwhelmingly from the 15 Dynamite companies he founded, not to mention Nobel Brothers Oil. One more time, he made his money with Dynamite, not smokeless gunpowder.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
CHAPIUS RIFLES - ALL MODELS - AT 20 % OFF

CONTACT DALE NYGAARD AT DLN@LAKEDALELINK.NET

SEND HIM YOUR PHONE # AND HE WILL CALL

EXTRACTOR MODEL UGEX $ 3,800 AA WOOD

EJECTOR MODEL UGEX $4,250 AAA WOOD

RGEX - UPGRADE WOOD TO AAAA, UPGRADE ENGRAVING, PG CAP, LONG TRIGGER GUARD , GERMAN PANCAKE CHEEKPIECE $5,100

REX MODEL - TOP OF THE LINE SIDEPLATED BOXLOCK $6,000

RECHNAGEL SCOPE MOUNTS $340.

RECEIVERS CAN BE FINISHED IN COIN FINISH GREY, BLUED, OR COLOR CASE HARDENED.... BELIEVE THERE IS NO EXTRA CHARGE FOR YOUR CHOICE

HE IS PLANNING AN ORDER IN EARLY DEC AND LATE DEC . A PRICE INCREASE IS ANTICIPATED FOR 2007.

FOR MORE INFO CONTACT DALE NYGAARD - HE DID THE GROUP BUY BEFORE

TOMO577

Posts: 1144 | Location: west of erie, pa | Registered: 15 September 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I take it the RGEX is an upgraded UGEX?

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost.

Posts: 6638 | Location: Moving back to Alaska | Registered: 22 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of jbderunz
posted Hide Post
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Monastery-Forester:

Monastery-Forester.

Pierre Burrack hunted with us during our last driven hunt. I transmit You his friendly salutations.

On my avatar, a Chapuis RGEX 9.3*74R

J B de Runz
Be careful when blindly following the masses ... generally the "m" is silent

Posts: 1727 | Location: France, Alsace, Saverne | Registered: 24 August 2004Reply With Quote