New
Find
Notify
Tools

Best 3 double rifle battery
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted Hide Post
No vote for a bore rifle? A paradox would be nice to round out a trio.

9.3x74r
12 bore paradox or other ball & shot gun

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mikelravy:
My imagination (and budget) doesn't extend to three double rifles. My congratulations to those of you that do.

Nothing wrong with expressing your dreams and aspirations, even if that is all they will remain. Most here are expressing their dreams and aspirations as well.

Kynoch,

My original choice was:
30-06
375H&H

But really you make an excellent point. Here in MD where I do most of my deer hunting, a good half or more of the state is shotgun only. A 12 bore rifle is too much, but a 12 bore Paradox or similar ball and shot gun would be just the ticket for whitetails and birds as well.

JPK

Free 500grains

Posts: 4900 | Location: Chevy Chase, Md. | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
1. 30-06
2. 375 H&H
3. 500 N.E.

**flanged-non flanged is not an issue with me especially in the lower calibers.

"An individual with experience is never at the mercies of an individual with an argument"

Posts: 1827 | Location: Palmer AK & Prescott Valley AZ | Registered: 01 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of wesley timmerman
posted Hide Post
Here's the three I have and would take
Merkel 30-30 (thats correct 30-30)
Charles Lancaster 450 NE 3 1/4"
Westly Richards 577
Have hunted with the Lancaster(Zim 06 ele and buff) and have shot the other 2 but not hunted with yet. Can't imagine 3 DR's on 1 hunt.

Posts: 677 | Location: south carolina | Registered: 08 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I thought having a 577 for fun shooting said my pecker is small!
Happy new year.

Posts: 1374 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 10 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ok, my 2 cents...

333 Jeffery or 318 WR with scope for a light rifle
450/400 for the medium
500 for the heavy

The first plus a 450 to 470 would work fine too, but, hey, if we're going bother with 3 guns they should cover a broader range.

Or, going Old School....

a 12 bore Super Magnum Explora for the "light" gun
8 bore conical double for the heavy/stopper
and of course, a 4 bore for those really bad days that cause grown men to give up drinking and promise to enter the priesthood.

Bob

DRSS

"If we're not supposed to eat animals, why are they made out of meat?"

"PS. To add a bit of Pappasonian philosophy: this single barrel stuff is just a passing fad. Bolt actions and single shots will fade away as did disco, the hula hoop, and bell-bottomed pants. Doubles will rule the world!"

Posts: 812 | Location: MT | Registered: 14 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of D99
posted Hide Post
Hmmmm I kind of like Gerry's guns.

30R Blaser from Schierring in O/U
375 o/u from Ritterbrush
500 NE Heym s/s

Posts: 4729 | Location: Australia | Registered: 06 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of BwanaBob
posted Hide Post
My answer to the 3 doubles question is the solution that I have chosen for myself.

I have a Merkel 140 in 9.3x74R and a 140A in .500NE and the "third double" is actually a set of 20 gauge barrels for the 140. With this combination I can hunt anything anywhere!

While I like the idea of a third double in .450/400, one has to ask if it is really necessary when you consider what the other two calibres are capable of.

"White men with their ridiculous civilization lie far from me. No longer need I be a slave to money" (W.D.M Bell)
www.cybersafaris.com.au

Posts: 909 | Location: Blackheath, NSW, Australia | Registered: 26 May 2002Reply With Quote