THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM DOUBLE RIFLES FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Double Rifles    Saw an interesting double today !!
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Saw an interesting double today !!
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I was in Las Vegas and stopped into the Antique Firearm Show (not really for antiques but some of the nicer used high dollar guns) and I stopped at Tohy Galzan's booth to drool over the Model 21's he makes and saw his latest creation ---- a nifty looking 20ga side-by-side slug gun with express sights and rifled barrels. Base price of $3995 and he claims 2" groups at 100 yards ---- single or double triggers, stright or pistol grip, beavertail or splinter FE, wood upgrades, scope mount and rings, cased and the owner can regulate the barrels.

DB Bill aka Bill George

Posts: 4360 | Location: Sunny Southern California | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Now that sounds like an interesting gun! Hopefully he'll have info on his web site soon. That sounds like just the ticket for a whitetail woods rifle or for use in "shotgun only" areas. I can't wait to see it.

Bob

DRSS

"If we're not supposed to eat animals, why are they made out of meat?"

"PS. To add a bit of Pappasonian philosophy: this single barrel stuff is just a passing fad. Bolt actions and single shots will fade away as did disco, the hula hoop, and bell-bottomed pants. Doubles will rule the world!"

Posts: 815 | Location: MT | Registered: 14 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Bill,

Is that 20 gauge fully rifled or choke rifled? If the former, it's likely to be a fairly heavy gun. Does he envision it for bird, too?

In other words, is it a modern Paradox gun?

Regards, Tim

Posts: 1322 | Location: Washington, DC | Registered: 17 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Tim Carney:
Bill,

Is that 20 gauge fully rifled or choke rifled? If the former, it's likely to be a fairly heavy gun. Does he envision it for bird, too?

In other words, is it a modern Paradox gun?

Regards, Tim

I don't think the fully rifled slug gun is going to pattern shot! It sounds like a slugs only gun for the shotguns only hunting areas.

I had one of those but was 16 ga AYA shotgun with fully rifled barrels sleaved in to the old barrel butts, and it shot Brenneke slugs from both barrels on a standard playing card at 75 yds. I tried several diffrent shot shells through it but it would not pattern worth crap past 5 yds. I mounted a 2 power Weaver scope on it, and killed several deer, and one black bear with it! Wish I still had it! I may take a close look at the Galazan! thumb

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Per the flyer, the specifications.

20ga ---- 24" fully rifled left & right hand rifling like the finest double rifles --- quarter rib w/iron sights --- 2x premium walnut --- receiver machined of a solid billet of 86-20 ---- auto ejectors ---- splinter forend --- flat V mainspring ---- opposing double bridged action --- rolled edge trigger guard ---- metal grip cap --- 14 1/4" x 1 1/2" x 2 3/8" ----- classic 2-point checkering --- proprietary adjustable barrel regulator --- minature scroll engraving with the word "Professional" engraved in gold on each side of the receiver ---- high impact gun case ---- PRICE $3995.

OPTIONS --- $450 for assisted opening ---- $350 3x wood upgrade --- $600 4x wood upgradce ---- exhibition wood $900 --- beavertail forend $175 ---- single trigger $175 (doube triggers are standard) choice of straight or pistol grip and last--- optional quick dtachable scope mount & rings with Leupold scope.

No mention of weight but the gun, with straight-tube Leupold scope was nicely balanced and didn't feel heavy.

I didn't think to check the length of the chamber but I suspect it's 3" ----- that make's it basically a short-range deer rifle. IT would be nice if it had 3 1/2" chambers as I understand those guns will get 2000f ps+ with a 350gr sabot -- and that would be serious medicine.

DB Bill aka Bill George

Posts: 4360 | Location: Sunny Southern California | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
A 3" 20ga fully rifled slug gun, say a Mossberg 500 pump or a NEF break open will be all of a 150yd deer gun, maybe 175yds or 200.

Some of the slug ammo they are making these days is remarkable and the 20ga is all the rage as the king of longer distance here in my neck of the shotgun only woods. I picked up some Federal or Remington ammo for my son's 20ga and it is loaded with a copper solid with a plastic tip for streamiling ang expansion intiation. The trajectory table on the box was stunning.

Assuming you could regulate the Galazan/Connecticutt Shotgun well enough with their device, you'd be talking 30-30 range and capability. Energy nimbers on the 20ga ammo were adequate to 200yds.

I've got to take a look at the Galazan offering.

JPK

Free 500grains

Posts: 4900 | Location: Chevy Chase, Md. | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 308Sako
posted Hide Post
Did you see the over and under .22 Hornet... Oh My God what a rifle.

The PH slugger was an eye catcher they way they were displayed. Nice concept.

Member NRA, SCI- Life #358 28+ years now!
DRSS, double owner-shooter since 1983, O/U .30-06 Browning Continental set.

Posts: 3611 | Location: LV NV | Registered: 22 October 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DB Bill:
Per the flyer, the specifications.

20ga ---- 24" fully rifled left & right hand rifling like the finest double rifles --- quarter rib w/iron sights --- 2x premium walnut --- receiver machined of a solid billet of 86-20 ---- auto ejectors ---- splinter forend --- flat V mainspring ---- opposing double bridged action --- rolled edge trigger guard ---- metal grip cap --- 14 1/4" x 1 1/2" x 2 3/8" ----- classic 2-point checkering --- proprietary adjustable barrel regulator --- minature scroll engraving with the word "Professional" engraved in gold on each side of the receiver ---- high impact gun case ---- PRICE $3995.

OPTIONS --- $450 for assisted opening ---- $350 3x wood upgrade --- $600 4x wood upgradce ---- exhibition wood $900 --- beavertail forend $175 ---- single trigger $175 (doube triggers are standard) choice of straight or pistol grip and last--- optional quick dtachable scope mount & rings with Leupold scope.

No mention of weight but the gun, with straight-tube Leupold scope was nicely balanced and didn't feel heavy.

I didn't think to check the length of the chamber but I suspect it's 3" ----- that make's it basically a short-range deer rifle. IT would be nice if it had 3 1/2" chambers as I understand those guns will get 2000f ps+ with a 350gr sabot -- and that would be serious medicine.

Any hope you could either post a copy of the flyer, fax or scan and email me a copy?

JPK

Free 500grains

Posts: 4900 | Location: Chevy Chase, Md. | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The best I can do is to try and take a photo and then post it.

DB Bill aka Bill George

One of Us
posted Hide Post
DB Bill, thanks for this info. I'm seriously interested in what sounds like a delightful gun. I can't wait to see any pictures. A reasonable priced gun of Tony's exceptional quality will sell big time. A 20-bore double rifle, with detachable scope, easy ammo, and light handy weight has a space waiting in my safe!

Bob

DRSS

"If we're not supposed to eat animals, why are they made out of meat?"

"PS. To add a bit of Pappasonian philosophy: this single barrel stuff is just a passing fad. Bolt actions and single shots will fade away as did disco, the hula hoop, and bell-bottomed pants. Doubles will rule the world!"

Posts: 815 | Location: MT | Registered: 14 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post

DB Bill aka Bill George

one of us
posted Hide Post

DB Bill aka Bill George

one of us
posted Hide Post

If you send me your e-mail address in a PM I will send these images to you full size so you can get a better look. The files are large so if you have dial-up it might take awhile.

It was a sweeeeeeet feeling little gun. I did ask him if he could/would fit a set of extra 20ga barrels and his answer was a quick "no".

DB Bill aka Bill George

one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the photos, I'm even more interested. I'll shoot you a PM.

JPK

Free 500grains

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
A 20-bore double rifle, with detachable scope, easy ammo, and light handy weight has a space waiting in my safe!

Bob

Mine too! What fun to deer hunt with in our shotgun only areas I'm sure it would make a great pig gun. I'd bet it would be a fun gun to hunt much more than deer or pigs with too.

JPK

Free 500grains

one of us
Picture of Charles_Helm
posted Hide Post
When it states that they have a proprietary adjustable regulatory system, does it come regulated for a particular load?

Looks like you can get a double trigger too.

Would be neat if you could shoot brass-hulled rounds. Fun on hogs and deer up close or farther with the scope.

Hmmm. Guess it is out of the question for Valentine's Day.

I look forward to some reviews. I think it was Sabatti that had the "Leopard special" double barrel with rifle sights but did not see a lot of positive reviews. Of course I may be remembering that wrong.

Edit: Thanks to DB Bill for posting all the info! beer

Posts: 8773 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Charles_Helm
posted Hide Post
quote:
I'm sure it would make a great pig gun.

I agree but I think I also said that about almost everything I have bought since about 1990. Not sure my wife is still buying it as i have not shot a pig in a few years. Frowner

Posts: 8773 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Charles,

Dakota used to offer a rifled barrel slug gun in both 12ga and 20ga. But they could not tell me what ammo it was regulated with. I was told the guns were made by an Italian firm, can't recall which one. I was steered away because of customer complaints about accuracy - probably related to the regulation ammo being unknown, I think.

JPK

Free 500grains

One of Us
Picture of Sarg
posted Hide Post
JPK - That firm is Siace , they make them still & are regulated with a Italian load -Bornagh Slugs 1 1/8 - they say for driven Boar !
You can have them make one for you & I belive they would regulation for a load you chose (Black Magic?) they also make them with one smooth & one rifled !

Posts: 461 | Location: New Zealand - Australia - South Africa | Registered: 14 October 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Sarge,

Thanks for the info. Not more than eight months ago, I asked the largest Siace importer in the US (I think - Dewings in Palm Beach Fla.) to have them build a 12ga rifled slug gun. They inquired of Siace and were told that they wouldn't do it because of a tax per calibre built - ie, a tax on a license for building 45/70's, 444 Marlin's etc, and that there wasn't enough demand to build a 12ga rifled shotgun to pay for the calibre tax. I was told, "Get a group of ten together to order them and they will do it." My spec on the regulation ammo, but also my import cost for the ammo if it was US ammo.

BS? Who knows?

JPK

Free 500grains

One of Us
Picture of Sarg
posted Hide Post
Might be BS might be miscommunication ?
They told me for each cailber they need a licence from the Italian Goverment which is a pain to get , thats is why no big cals yet but coming soon ! they released the rifled shotguns in April for Europe , my mate had a double rifle made for him by them & they were very accommodating and did most things he asked for , rifle is beautiful , I beleive they build the doubles for Pedersoli & my mate saw a 470NE Kodiak in they work shop ! !

Posts: 461 | Location: New Zealand - Australia - South Africa | Registered: 14 October 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Sarg,

The tax/license issue is the same I think.

Thinking back, it is very possible that my inquiry was not eight months ago but a year and eight months ago, in fact I'm almost sure of that. That would make sense of the timing. My parents, now my Mom since my Dad passed away in September, have a home in Palm Beach and spend the winter there. We visit during the kid's Easter break from school. I make it a habit of dropping by Dewings to drool over their collections. Bought an A&S Farmars SxS sidelock 375H&H from them.

Too bad Dewings didn't follow up and let me know the Siace 12ga slug guns were availble. I've handled a number of Siace rifles and shotguns and I think they're very nice for the money. Wish they put longer barrels on their rifles though. I'm pretty sure they would for a bespoke gun.

JPK

Free 500grains

one of us
posted Hide Post
I have ordered a Connecticutt Shotgun Manufacturing 20ga RBL Proffesional rifled sabot slug SxS!

I ordered it with pistol grip, splinter forend, double triggers, the scope option (but I'll put the 2.5x20mm on my current slug gun and swap its 1.5x5x20mm for the RBL), and with a Silvers pad to extend the length of pull to 14 7/8". I also upgraded the wood to "4x". (Had to call back and order cast on for a lefty - they want $225 for doing it, sheez, being lefty is expensive.)

Weight is expected to be 7.5lbs, which should be just great.

I was told if I paid in full, which I did, that the wait would be approximarely 3 months. I'm guessing longer, but so long as it is in time for some set up and shooting before our 2009 deer season, I'll be happy.

JPK

Free 500grains

one of us
Picture of Charles_Helm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JPK:
I have ordered a Connecticutt Shotgun Manufacturing 20ga RBL Proffesional rifled sabot slug SxS!

I ordered it with pistol grip, splinter forend, double triggers, the scope option (but I'll put the 2.5x20mm on my current slug gun and swap its 1.5x5x20mm for the RBL), and with a Silvers pad to extend the length of pull to 14 7/8". I also upgraded the wood to "4x". (Had to call back and order cast on for a lefty - they want $225 for doing it, sheez, being lefty is expensive.)

Weight is expected to be 7.5lbs, which should be just great.

I was told if I paid in full, which I did, that the wait would be approximarely 3 months. I'm guessing longer, but so long as it is in time for some set up and shooting before our 2009 deer season, I'll be happy.

JPK

Very nice! I am jealous but when I suggested it as a Valentine's gift for my wife to get me she did not seem interested. Confused

We will need pictures in the fullness of time.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
is 1 1/2X2 3/8 a lot of drop for a scope?those are skeet gun dimensions for a M21.

Posts: 877 | Location: Louisiana | Registered: 03 June 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
About perfect dimensions for open sights. Yes, it is too much drop for a scope, if it wasn't you couldn't use the express sights.

The conundrum every sock maker and rifle buyer faces, if the rifle is stocked for open sights, using the scope will require lifting your head off the stock and a less than perfect weld - plus felt recoil is enhanced since the gun has a running start when it hits your cheek. But if the rifle is prperly stocked for a scope, open sights are as useless as tits on a bull since the stock puts your eye over them.

IMO, for a double or any rifle primarily shot with open sights, I'm happier with a rifle stocked for open sights and a lace on comb to make using the scope perfect too.

Cabelas offers a good selection of lace on combs or stretch to fit combs or velcro on combs. My current slug gun wears a leather lace on comb and it has worked fine for better than a decade.

JPK

Free 500grains