THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM DOUBLE RIFLES FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Double Rifles    Regulating a double rifle video
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Regulating a double rifle video
 Login/Join

One Of Us
Picture of new_guy
posted
I keep seeing requests here for information on how doubles are regulated. While I was in Germany last week, I spent an entire day with the head regulator going over each step.

What I ended up with was more video that anyone would ever want to watch on the subject... so I've cut it into smaller pieces that will demonstrate the process of regulating a double rifle.

Ulitmately, this will be produced into a real video with audio, etc... but you are getting the "raw" cuts here first.

Bear with me as the pieces come together and realize that you are seeing just a cross-section of a much longer process...

I. In the first clip below, you will find two shots at 50-meters.
Notice that the left barrel (second shot) is shooting low and a bit too close to the center-line of the target (near crossing.)

After the pair above is fired, the rifle then goes to rest for a couple of hours to allow the barrels to cool.

II. These second two shots in the clip below are simply to confirm the initial results above. Remember the old saying "measure twice and cut once?"

Now this may not be as impressive to some as it is to me, but notice that the consistency of the second two shots as compared to the first.

The camera angle is a bit different, but the second shot from the right barrel goes in the same hole as the first shot a couple of hours before. The left barrel is less than 3/8" off from the left barrel in the first pair. The caliber is a 500 NE, open sights only... and that my friends is a man that can shoot a double rifle!

www.heymusa.com

HSC Booth # 306
SCI Booth # 3947

one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
That is a great idea Chris. I've been wanting to do just that for some time myself!

I've been toying with the idea of buying animation software so it can be completely explained in detail how the double rifle works, along with real actual regulation work at the bench all in a tutorial feature film.

That is something that has been needed for a long time, and it's time has come!

Most folks would be surprised how many people who have been shooting, and hunting with double rifles for years and still do not understand how they work!

................................................................... tu2

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
One Of Us
Picture of new_guy
posted Hide Post
Just outside of the regulation room, there is a sink where the barrels are cleaned after firing.

III. If you've ever cleaned a blackpowder muzzle-loader, the idea here is similar. Pull water into the bores with a brush and flush out all powder residue, oil, etc, before the barrels are heated for regulation adjustment.

Of course the barrels are blown out with compressed air after cleaning with water, and the heat you're about to see will get rid of any remaining water that's left behind.

IV. Next step is to remove the sights.

Note the weep hole under the rear sight we are discussing... most of the time you see them on the bottom rib. This hole allows for two things 1) gas to escape while the barrels are being heated 2) it allows water to flow the length of the barrels when they are boiled.

Also, by placing it under the rear sight, it makes for a cleaner appearance on the barrel ribs.

www.heymusa.com

HSC Booth # 306
SCI Booth # 3947

one of us
posted Hide Post
Nice video Chris.It would be good to see a video with the rifle and target both in the video frame.Also a "toughness" test with six shots fired one after the other,using the same rifle to prove how good the rifles are at keeping their POI at 50yds with some copper fouling in the bore.
It would be good to see such a video that I descibed from any of the gunmakers.

Posts: 11651 | Location: Montreal | Registered: 07 November 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
That would be a good video indeed-a real life video showing the truth.AR members however dont need to see such a video because everyone of the shots they fired from a double shot in the bullseye
perfectly even at 50yds!
One thing is for sure,if a double can pop six 500NE rds in the bullsyes my eyes will pop out and I would certainly would be attracted to that double.

Posts: 11651 | Location: Montreal | Registered: 07 November 2002Reply With Quote
One Of Us
Picture of new_guy
posted Hide Post
Step V.

Sealing the barrels before they are heated.

Shootaway - I understand your questions... give me a bit to get back to you with a reply. Thanks, Chris.

www.heymusa.com

HSC Booth # 306
SCI Booth # 3947

One of Us
Picture of D R Hunter
posted Hide Post
quote:
Shootaway - I understand your questions... give me a bit to get back to you with a reply. Thanks, Chris.

Chris, You're a saint... faint

D/R Hunter

Correct bullet placement, combined with the required depth of bullet penetration, results in an anchored animal...

Posts: 997 | Location: Florida - A Little North of Tampa  | Registered: 07 August 2012Reply With Quote
One Of Us
Picture of new_guy
posted Hide Post
Shootaway - The short answer to your question is that you have two primary factors impacting a double that aren't so impactful on a bolt gun's accuracy.

1) The coarse sights make it difficult to hold a consistent sight picture from shot to shot. They simply cover too much of the target to allow really "precise" shooting.

2) Barrel heat impacts doubles x2, and given that the two barrels are connected by a conduit for heat transfer, they tend to move POI more than a bolt gun.

Finally, the double (by design) is not intended to shoot tiny targets at long distances like a heavy-barreled 22-250. By the same token, a 22-250 that shoots "in the 2s" would make a pretty poor elephant gun.

We all like accurate and consistent rifles, but with a double, the intended target - and circumstances like distance, energy, bullet size, etc... must be taken into consideration.

www.heymusa.com

HSC Booth # 306
SCI Booth # 3947

One Of Us
Picture of new_guy
posted Hide Post
Step VI

Nailing the ribs.

www.heymusa.com

HSC Booth # 306
SCI Booth # 3947

One Of Us
Picture of new_guy
posted Hide Post
Step VII

Here are the barrels going into the jig.

www.heymusa.com

HSC Booth # 306
SCI Booth # 3947

One of Us
posted Hide Post
What about the incense, Tarot cards, and incantations :-)

Posts: 20165 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of twoseventy
posted Hide Post
I think incense and Tarot cards, not so much. But I'm almost certain incantations are absolutely needed before the job is done. If one is trying to give up bad language, the vocabulary would have to be innovative and thought provoking.

...I say that hunters go into Paradise when they die, and live in this world more joyfully than any other men.
-Edward, duke of York

". . . when a man has shot an elephant his life is full." ~John Alfred Jordan

"The budget should be balanced, the Treasury should be refilled, public debt should be reduced, the arrogance of officialdom should be tempered and controlled, and the assistance to foreign lands should be curtailed lest Rome become bankrupt. People must again learn to work, instead of living on public assistance." Cicero - 55 BC

"The smallest minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities." - Ayn Rand

Cogito ergo venor- KPete

“It is not from the benevolence of the butcher, the brewer, or the baker, that we expect our dinner, but from their regard to their own self-interest. We address ourselves, not to their humanity but to their self-love, and never talk to them of our own necessities but of their advantages.”
― Adam Smith - “Wealth of Nations”

Posts: 989 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 12 June 2009Reply With Quote
One Of Us
Picture of new_guy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by shootaway:
...Also a "toughness" test with six shots fired one after the other,using the same rifle to prove how good the rifles are at keeping their POI at 50yds with some copper fouling in the bore...

I did not have a video camera handy, but I did some load development recently, and I thought of your request above.

Here are 4 shots (two pair fired in sucession) with a 450/400 at 50-yards. These are 400gr Swift A-frames.

These are 400gr North Fork Cup Points from the same rifle (same shooting scenario as above.)

As a point of refrence, the orange dot is basically the same size as the front bead, and the top of the orange dot represents the top of the front bead of the sights.

www.heymusa.com

HSC Booth # 306
SCI Booth # 3947

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Great result.

Cheers, Chris

DRSS

Posts: 1976 | Location: Australia | Registered: 25 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jorge
posted Hide Post
Stupendous regulation!

USN (ret)
DRSS Verney-Carron 450NE
Cogswell & Harrison 375 Fl NE
Sabatti Big Five 375 FL Magnum NE
DSC Life Member
NRA Life Member

Posts: 7149 | Location: Orange Park, Florida. USA | Registered: 22 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by new_guy:
quote:
Originally posted by shootaway:
...Also a "toughness" test with six shots fired one after the other,using the same rifle to prove how good the rifles are at keeping their POI at 50yds with some copper fouling in the bore...

I did not have a video camera handy, but I did some load development recently, and I thought of your request above.

Here are 4 shots (two pair fired in sucession) with a 450/400 at 50-yards. These are 400gr Swift A-frames.

These are 400gr North Fork Cup Points from the same rifle (same shooting scenario as above.)

As a point of refrence, the orange dot is basically the same size as the front bead, and the top of the orange dot represents the top of the front bead of the sights.

tu2 tu2 tu2 tu2 tu2 beer clap salute

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Safari James
posted Hide Post
Almost as good as the regulation of my .577 clap

Hopefully this is the 450/400 heading to Australia with us. I may need to borrow the rifle for a buff or two if I run low on 577 ammo Cool

Safari James
USMC
DRSS

Posts: 369 | Location: Texas | Registered: 16 August 2011Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Something that groups that well,especially a double at 50yds for 4 shots, needs to be in a video showing both the shooter and rifle.I would add another 2 shots and make it six and video.
There have been many super accurate double rifle targets posted over time and they all meaning nothing to me without video.At least the video will show that the double is capable of shooting well.
If I was making doubles and they were good I would most certainly video the shooting.If they did not shoot well then I would do like everyone is doing and not video it.

One Of Us
Picture of new_guy
posted Hide Post
Someone asked if this was complete. No, and sorry for the delay on the regulation video clips.

I will get these posted.

www.heymusa.com

HSC Booth # 306
SCI Booth # 3947