THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM DOUBLE RIFLES FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Double Rifles    Getting the double ready for alaska
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Getting the double ready for alaska
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
The prep has begun.

First I took the stock off and degreased the action with carb cleaner, then brake pad cleaner. It removed all of the factory grease/oil. I let it dry Then gave it a light coat of high tec mil-spec syntheic oil that's good to go down to O degrees. I do not expect deep/hard cold next month. If I did it would get lock ease only. I am more worried about rust and swelling than having it freezing up.

The inside of the stock has no finish at all underneath the pad or in the stock mortese. I will give it several verry wet coats of a product called Camp Dry. Camp Dry is a silacone and wax base spray made to waterproof tent seams and clothing.It will still allow the wood to breath.It also shines the stock up and makes it look pretty. The fore arm will get the same treatment. After the campdry dries I will put a coat of heavy wax under the recoil pad and in the barrel chanel of the forearm. My gunsock will also get a good coat of camp dry.

The bores got a good cleaning and the outside will gwet a paste wax treatment.

What should I put on the scope and aim point lens to stop fogging and misting rain problems. I got butler creek caps on both.

Any good ideas will be considered.

Thanks

JD

DRSS
9.3X74 tika 512
9.3X74 SXS
Merkel 140 in 470 Nitro

One of Us
Picture of AK_Stick
posted Hide Post
Where are you hunting?

seems like an awful lot of extra work for a Aug hunt......

Only Angels and Aviators have wings

Posts: 263 | Location: The frozen north, between deployments | Registered: 03 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of cal pappas
posted Hide Post
JD:
I don't know if an auto windshield water treatment--is it Rainease or Rainex(?)-- would help with water on the lens and exterior fogging. If you are in western AK in August, you WILL get rain but it won't get that cold. Expect wind, too, so I hope you are not using a super fast and light bullet.
Good luck and let us know.
Cal

Cal Pappas, Willow, Alaska
www.CalPappas.com
www.CalPappas.blogspot.com
1994 Zimbabwe
1997 Zimbabwe
1998 Zimbabwe
1999 Zimbabwe
1999 Namibia, Botswana, Zambia--vacation
2000 Australia
2002 South Africa
2003 South Africa
2003 Zimbabwe
2005 South Africa
2005 Zimbabwe
2006 Tanzania
2006 Zimbabwe--vacation
2007 Zimbabwe--vacation
2008 Zimbabwe
2012 Australia
2013 South Africa
2013 Zimbabwe
2013 Australia
2016 Zimbabwe
2017 Zimbabwe
2018 South Africa
2018 Zimbabwe--vacation
2019 South Africa
2019 Botswana
2019 Zimbabwe vacation
2021 South Africa
2021 South Africa (2nd hunt a month later)

Posts: 7281 | Location: Willow, Alaska | Registered: 29 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I never put any thing on the lens of the scope and have hunted in some really nasty conditions on Kodiak and Montague. At least 15 trips over the last 25 years that were each 10-14 days long consisting of going in and out of a tent with temperatures from 50F to 10F with no scope related issues. Just don't breath on the scope. I also generally leave my rifle out side the tent since we usually heat the inside.

Paste wax or any car wax works well on metal or stocks. But as far as Camp dry protecting and allowing the wood to breath, well.........if it can breath then the wood is not sealed. Unsealed wood WILL suck in moisture. I would coat the under side of the recoil pad area with a good wood sealer and brush in several coats of Tru Oil on the checkering.

When are you coming up? Where will you be and what are you hunting?

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost.

Posts: 6644 | Location: Wasilla, Alaska | Registered: 22 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by AK_Stick:
Where are you hunting?

All I know is he lives a hour away from the airport. He can put the boat in about 15 min from the house and with in a hour boat ride be in some fair hunting. Option two will be a couple hours by car and a day by boat, sleeping in a tent. He's been scouting and seen a brown bear but no blacks. The salmon are just starting to show up downstream of where we will be hunting. The rifle need the maintance anyway.

JD

DRSS
9.3X74 tika 512
9.3X74 SXS
Merkel 140 in 470 Nitro

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Snowwolfe:
I never put any thing on the lens of the scope and have hunted in some really nasty conditions on Kodiak and Montague. At least 15 trips over the last 25 years that were each 10-14 days long consisting of going in and out of a tent with temperatures from 50F to 10F with no scope related issues. Just don't breath on the scope. I also generally leave my rifle out side the tent since we usually heat the inside.

Paste wax or any car wax works well on metal or stocks. But as far as Camp dry protecting and allowing the wood to breath, well.........if it can breath then the wood is not sealed. Unsealed wood WILL suck in moisture. I would coat the under side of the recoil pad area with a good wood sealer and brush in several coats of Tru Oil on the checkering.

When are you coming up? Where will you be and what are you hunting?

Flying in on the 27th staying to the 9th. My buddy lives just outside of ancharage from what I been told. I am hopeing to shoot a couple black bears maybe a wolf. Do some salmon fishing and do some dog traing. We are going to run his pup in a navda test while I am up there.

Most importantly I will be leaveing this 100 to 105 heat index behind for a couple of weeks.

DRSS
9.3X74 tika 512
9.3X74 SXS
Merkel 140 in 470 Nitro

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Fishing has been great, good timing. I caught a 120 pound halibut two weeks ago and Wed and Thu son and I hit the Kenai where we limited on Reds within an hour. There are so many red salmon in the river that F&G just upped the daily limit to 6. Run should stay strong until you arrive. After that we head to Seward to fish for silversSmiler
Summers are fun up here!

If you are in Anchorage on a Saturday stop by the Anchorage Market on 3rd street and say hi. I have a booth there selling my wildlife photography. If that doesnt work shoot me a pm and maybe we can hook up to share some lies and drink a beer.
Randy

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost.

Posts: 6644 | Location: Wasilla, Alaska | Registered: 22 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of AK_Stick
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by J D:
quote:
Originally posted by AK_Stick:
Where are you hunting?

All I know is he lives a hour away from the airport. He can put the boat in about 15 min from the house and with in a hour boat ride be in some fair hunting. Option two will be a couple hours by car and a day by boat, sleeping in a tent. He's been scouting and seen a brown bear but no blacks. The salmon are just starting to show up downstream of where we will be hunting. The rifle need the maintance anyway.

JD

Well thats a fine excuse to play with it as any.

In all seriousness though, Aug, isn't a terribly bad time of the year in most parts to hunt. So I wouldn't go through alot of pain to hunt with my double.

Sep-oct, yeah I'd be pulling out all the stops.

Good luck.

Only Angels and Aviators have wings

Posts: 263 | Location: The frozen north, between deployments | Registered: 03 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
In all the years i lived/hunted in Alaska, many times staying in a small tent for weeks. Even in the winter i never did anything but keep my guns cleaned/lubed with Break Free CLP.

Even in -15F they always worked perfectly, and yes i hunted in those temps.

On break open guns, a film of grease on the hindge pin and wipe down with a shop rag with CLP and you will not have any problems.

I always like Aug/Sept. in Alaska, pretty time of year with a good chance of good weather...

DM

Posts: 696 | Location: Upper Midwest, USA | Registered: 07 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
[QUOTE]Originally posted by DM:
In all the years i lived/hunted in Alaska, many times staying in a small tent for weeks. Even in the winter i never did anything but keep my guns cleaned/lubed with Break Free CLP.

Even in -15F they always worked perfectly, and yes i hunted in those temps.

Just my luck, I have had a auto loader freeze up here in south louisian on one of the times I broke Ice to launch my boat to duck hunt

JD

DRSS
9.3X74 tika 512
9.3X74 SXS
Merkel 140 in 470 Nitro