Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

460 wby
 Login/Join

posted
Does anyone know if modern Double Rifles can handle the chamber pressures of the 460 Weatherby?? 65,000 PSI.

One of Us
Picture of Alaskaman11
posted Hide Post
my guess no, Doubles are to be shot at the lower pressures. I guess my question is why would you want a double in a 460? When you can have a 470 which is purpose built for a double?

Double Rifles, This is the weapon of a Jedi Knight. Not as clumsy or random as bolt rifle. An elegant weapon for a more civilized age.

DRSS
Chapuis 9.3x74R
NRA Life Member

Posts: 293 | Location: Anchorage Alaska | Registered: 27 December 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I saw one made by one of the Ferlach companies some time ago. I believe Alex at Euro Optics had it as a trade-in. I've seen some of the older 458 doubles turned into....not the 450 NE...but the 458 Lott!!! Go figure :-)

Posts: 20138 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Alaskaman11
posted Hide Post
what about the pressure?

Double Rifles, This is the weapon of a Jedi Knight. Not as clumsy or random as bolt rifle. An elegant weapon for a more civilized age.

DRSS
Chapuis 9.3x74R
NRA Life Member

Posts: 293 | Location: Anchorage Alaska | Registered: 27 December 2012Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the input, the 'why' is because the 460 Wby hits like a Freight train on PCP. I'm also bored and looking for a cool project, the big Belted Mag of the Wby will require some modifications for extraction and ejection, I'm sure the chambers can handle the pressure just not sure about the receivers. Thanks again and keep the input coming.

One of Us
Picture of Bill73
posted Hide Post
I would just get a 450#2,& have it regulated with handloads going a little faster,say 480 gr @ 2250 fps.

DRSS

Posts: 2277 | Location: MI | Registered: 20 March 2007Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
A friend of mine had a Marcel Thys dbl. rifle in .460 wby. mag. He had one of the largest double rifle collections in the country and thought the Thys in .460 was just about right.

Posts: 7 | Location: Oregon Territory, USA | Registered: 07 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Bailey Bradshaw's falling block double would be my best bet for being able to handle the pressure.

"If you’re innocent why are you taking the Fifth Amendment?”- Donald Trump

Posts: 9776 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: 09 December 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of D R Hunter
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jefffive:
Bailey Bradshaw's falling block double would be my best bet for being able to handle the pressure.

It would,but he'll only build for rimmed, flanged calibers.
So go with one of those hot loaded on Bradshaw rifle.

D/R Hunter

Correct bullet placement, combined with the required depth of bullet penetration, results in an anchored animal...

Posts: 997 | Location: Florida - A Little North of Tampa  | Registered: 07 August 2012Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jefffive:

That would be my recommendation for a builder, and a falling block is about the only way a double rifle can be made for the 460WBY Mag and still be smaller that a 155 Howitzer.

My recommendation would , however, be a very nice S/S double rifle chambered for 500NE a cartridge that was designed for use in a double rifle or falling block single shot! It will do anything on the receiving end of the bullet that a 460Wby Mag will do, without all the problems with pressure, and extraction/ejection and two piece stock, for a rimless/belted high pressure case that was designed for a bolt rifle.

The good thing is, in The USA, for now, a shooter can shoot what ever he wants, and if you want a double rifle made chambered for the 460WBY MAG, then if you can get a maker to make one for you, I say go for it! But for the life of me, I can't see a reason anyone would want one!

........................................................................ bewildered

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
What a 460 Wby would give you over a 458 Win, 470 or 500 NE, etc, would be extended range, due to the higher velocity. However, long range is not the forte' of a double rifle, so not much would be gained except increased pressures and recoil.

Posts: 20138 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Mike Brooks
posted Hide Post
I'm very sure that the Fuchs DR can easily be built in a 460. But the cost is out of the realm of most of us.

NRA Life
ASSRA Life
DRSS

Today's Quote:
Give a man a fish and he eats for a day. Give a man a welfare check, a free cell phone with free monthly minutes, food stamps, section 8 housing, a forty ounce malt liquor, a crack pipe and some Air Jordan's and he votes Democrat for a lifetime.

Posts: 4096 | Location: Cherkasy Ukraine  | Registered: 19 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Dave Bush
posted Hide Post
If you want a double cartridge with a bit more velocity and range, how about a 500/.416?

Dave
DRSS
Chapuis 9.3X74
Chapuis "Jungle" .375 FL
Krieghoff 500/.416 NE
Krieghoff 500 NE

"Git as close as y can laddie an then git ten yards closer"

"If the biggest, baddest animals on the planet are on the menu, and you'd rather pay a taxidermist than a mortician, consider the 500 NE as the last word in life insurance." Hornady Handbook of Cartridge Reloading (8th Edition).

Posts: 3728 | Location: Midwest | Registered: 26 November 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Westley Richards made one in 1986 on the same action as was used for the 600 Nitro ,there was im sure a French gunmaker making some fugly doubles in 378 and 460 the two barrels were made in one piece or of one piece of steel so I don't how it was supposed to be regulated ,ugly anyway you looked at them

Posts: 625 | Location: Australia | Registered: 07 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If your going to go down that way with a modern cartridge id use a 500MDM instead of 460 for a double. And I own regular 460 mark V as well lol.

Posts: 32 | Location: Australia | Registered: 28 June 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bigdoggy2bore
posted Hide Post
lots of guys don't like the 460 weatherby gun or cartridge. I am with you, it hits damn hard. I realize ft.lbs of energy is not everything when it comes to killing, but the 460 w. will handle anything running after you. I have 2 of them and like both of them a lot. Never thought of one in a double though.

Used to be bigdoggy700 with 929 posts . Originally registered as bigdoggy 700 in July 2006.

Posts: 318 | Location: ILLINOIS , FINALLY GETTING. A CCW! | Registered: 14 October 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of TwoZero
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by pck100:
Does anyone know if modern Double Rifles can handle the chamber pressures of the 460 Weatherby?? 65,000 PSI.

Yes they can. If they are built on the Franz Jaeger patent.

Harold Wolf says he made a .460wby on this design. Blaser does a low rent version of it for their doubles.

But this is how it is supposed to be done:
http://www.hallowellco.com/Sch...20double%20rifle.htm
Scroll down to see the breech face that allows it to take the high pressure.
But you have to pay through the nose if you want one of those...
http://www.jagdwaffen-scheiring.at/index_en.html

I'm sure they could do a more plain 'working double' of course.

Posts: 270 | Location: Bay Area, CA | Registered: 19 August 2009Reply With Quote