THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM DOUBLE RIFLES FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Double Rifles    Ritterbusch Double Rifles...
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Ritterbusch Double Rifles...
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of bwanamrm
posted
I examined one of these rifles and was very impressed with the wood and engraving... and I expect it to be well-made since it is a German gun but I know little about them. Any thoughts or opinions?

On the plains of hesitation lie the bleached bones of ten thousand, who on the dawn of victory lay down their weary heads resting, and there resting, died.

If you can talk with crowds and keep your virtue,
Or walk with Kings - nor lose the common touch...
Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it,
And - which is more - you'll be a Man, my son!
- Rudyard Kipling

Life grows grim without senseless indulgence.

Posts: 7541 | Location: Victoria, Texas | Registered: 30 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
Russell,

I have one in .450 NE and it is very solid. I have not used it extensively but enough to feel that it is a good value for the money. The steel for the barrels is top notch, sights are good (deep V on the rear), triggers are crisp. I had a leather recoil pad put on mine since the original pad was damn ugly. Some folks hate the beavertail forearm, I happen to prefer it. Drive into to Houston on Sunday and you are welcome to shoot it at the range.

Seems to me a recall Cabelas having one in .458 Win Mag that looked really nice for something like $14K.

Mike

Posts: 21391 | Registered: 03 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of bwanamrm
posted Hide Post
Thanks Mike... was yours orginally chambered in .450NE or was it a .458WM that was rechambered? And is accuracy decent?

And thank for the offer to shoot yours but I am fishing South Padre this weekend but if I can get a raincheck.

On the plains of hesitation lie the bleached bones of ten thousand, who on the dawn of victory lay down their weary heads resting, and there resting, died.

If you can talk with crowds and keep your virtue,
Or walk with Kings - nor lose the common touch...
Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it,
And - which is more - you'll be a Man, my son!
- Rudyard Kipling

Life grows grim without senseless indulgence.

Posts: 7541 | Location: Victoria, Texas | Registered: 30 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
It was originally chambered in .450 NE. Accuracy is very good if you shoot loads that are consistent with the standard velocity for the caliber, i.e., 2150 fps. The Hornady ammo for the .450 NE is substantially slower and consequentially the groups open up some. Part of the problem may be that my rifle has 24" barrels and it is not uncommon for the .450 NEs to come with 26"/28" barrels. Velocity would undoubtedly be higher in those rifles with the Hornady ammo.

Open offer.

[That would be a thought, get the .458 Win Mag and have JJ rechamber that for .450 NE, something he has done many times.]

Mike

One of Us
Picture of 505ED
posted Hide Post
They have a very nice Ritterbush gun a Cabelas right now for sale at an attractive price. I looked at the gun myself but went in a different way.

http://www.gunsinternational.c...cfm?gun_id=100083504

[That would be a thought, get the .458 Win Mag and have JJ rechamber that for .450 NE, something he has done many times.][/QUOTE]

True, but you must be careful, not all 458 win mags can be rechambered to a 450 NE. Some of the guns "opening arc" of the action cannot clear the 450 rim, just will not arc enough open. Might get someone to look at this before biting this chunk off.

Ed

DRSS Member

Posts: 2289 | Location: Texas | Registered: 02 July 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Mike, are you out at Bayou this Sunday? If so let me know what time. Have some new loads I need to try out. Bob

Posts: 1284 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: 20 October 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
Bob,

That is the plan. I usually try to get out there early before the temperature gets up too high. I generally get there around 8:30 or so. I have a .416 Rigby I am playing with and will probably bring the Ritterbusch out to try some loads that should be getting closer to the 2150 fps mark.

Mike

one of us
posted Hide Post
Mike. I'll be out Sinday am.
Bob

Posts: 1284 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: 20 October 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
See you there.

Mike