THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM DOUBLE RIFLES FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Double Rifles    Primed Kynoch 10 Bore "Perfect" Metallic shells value?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Primed Kynoch 10 Bore "Perfect" Metallic shells value?
 Login/Join

Picture of LuckyBastard
posted
Good day all,

I posted about this before back in January. I have come upon some Primed Kynoch 10 Bore "Perfect" Metallic shells in their original boxes while emptying my Grandfather's house last year. Unfortunately the boxes are pretty beat up. I have 158 of them, most have very little corrosion. I have received many different advices on their approximate value from knowledgeable people such as Cal Pappas. In the meantime I search the internet high and low for comparable and they appear very rare to me especially in such a large quantity. I would like to hear your opinion on their value as I'm considering putting them up for auction soon, here in Canada. I have attached a link for pictures from my google drive:
https://drive.google.com/drive...JEYViN92?usp=sharing

Please let me know what you think.

A "Lucky Bastard"
Ottawa, ON Canada

Posts: 7 | Location: Ottawa, ON | Registered: 06 January 2018Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of eagle27
posted Hide Post
Wow what a find. I'm not into these sort of cartridges but I imagine the primers are corrosive so who ever purchases them it would be a great shame to use those primers. If they contain mercury they will immediately contaminate the case and cause brittleness. The primers are a single flash hole type so it would be feasible to decap them live if done with care and using some safety measures. I presume there are modern non-corrosive primers available for those cases.

Posts: 3909 | Location: Rolleston, Christchurch, New Zealand | Registered: 03 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of cal pappas
posted Hide Post
LB:
Be careful of auctions. Yes, if you get two folks that want what you have, you will net a good price. It can go the other way, too, and if on one really wants what you have you will take a loss. And then is the 15-25% fee you pay to the auction company. I buy a lot at auctions, but never sell at auctions.
Cal

Cal Pappas, Willow, Alaska
www.CalPappas.com
www.CalPappas.blogspot.com
1994 Zimbabwe
1997 Zimbabwe
1998 Zimbabwe
1999 Zimbabwe
1999 Namibia, Botswana, Zambia--vacation
2000 Australia
2002 South Africa
2003 South Africa
2003 Zimbabwe
2005 South Africa
2005 Zimbabwe
2006 Tanzania
2006 Zimbabwe--vacation
2007 Zimbabwe--vacation
2008 Zimbabwe
2012 Australia
2013 South Africa
2013 Zimbabwe
2013 Australia
2016 Zimbabwe
2017 Zimbabwe
2018 South Africa
2018 Zimbabwe--vacation
2019 South Africa
2019 Botswana
2019 Zimbabwe vacation
2021 South Africa
2021 South Africa (2nd hunt a month later)

Posts: 7281 | Location: Willow, Alaska | Registered: 29 June 2009Reply With Quote
Picture of LuckyBastard
posted Hide Post
Thank you Cal, this is great advice . What you have mentioned are my exact concerns with putting them up for auction. I'm also affraid that if I place a reserve, and don't sell for what I think they are worth, then its that 15-25%fee on my reserve I have to pay. I would be sitting 5 steps backward from where I currently stands. I realy wish I could find someone in Canada to use them for a good pupose, instead them just sitting idle in my house. But as I told you on the phone, if I had a Double Rifle in 10Ga, I would just hold on to them for myself as this would be a great supply of shell for many years of shooting.

LB

One of Us
posted Hide Post
How are you making out with the sale of your ten gauge brass?
I think i mentioned before, that I have a ten bore double and would love to get my hands on some of them, but I sure dont need the whole package. would you part out the box with the fired brass, and how much are you looking to get for them?
Jim (a fellow canuck!)

Posts: 177 | Location: Brooks, Alberta, Canada | Registered: 17 March 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Might be useful to know the date the cartridges were made. Gather that you should be able to find a Kynoch date code on the boxes, or at least on some that are not too ratty. I've cribbed this from another internet site as of possible help. Might be able to address the issue of corrosive primers with the date information.

Regards, Tim

BEGIN TEXT
The book "The Birmingham Cartridge Manufacturers" states .30-06 Springfield as listed by Kynoch 1925-1970, and 6.5mm x 53R Mannlicher as listed by Kynoch 1897-1970.

Lew Curtis from the IAA put together a document collating info that appeared in IAA Journals 442 and 449 relating to a set of date codes used by Eley and two sets of date codes used by Kynoch. I think the document has appeared on the internet but I cannot find the link. The title was Kynoch 9x19 Box Styles.

Kynoch used a number-letter-letter code from 1911-1926 indicating day-month-year
The month code letters used from 1911 and later were based on the code word KYNOIDCARTGS K indicating January, etc.
The year code letters from 1911-1916 were based on the word KYNOCH
The year code letters from 1917-1928 were going to be based on KYNOCHPRIMAX, but in 1926 a new number system was introduced using the ABC alphabet starting at A so the last letters of the code were not used.

If my understanding of these codes is correct, 17 R G would indicate 17 September 1932 (or 1958) and 9 D F would indicate 9 June 1931 (or 1957), as D and F do not appear in the old Kynoch code words, and .30-06 was not listed before 1925.

I hope this makes sense and is of use. END TEXT

Posts: 1322 | Location: Washington, DC | Registered: 17 March 2003Reply With Quote
Picture of LuckyBastard
posted Hide Post
Hi Tim,

Thank you for your research. I have done a little research as well. Since the shells only say Kynoch's and that the boxes say contractor to Her Majesty's, as well as showing awards such as a Silver Medal in 1878 and a Gold Medal in 1882, I would think they were produced during the Victoria Era between 1882-1901. I was also able to confirm they were in production at that time since I found a picture of the patent in the 1898 Kynoch catalog as it shows KYNOCH PATENT "PERFECT" METALLIC CASES. Have you had a chance to look at the pictures I put on my google drive? The link is in my original post.

Regards,

LB

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I imagine the primers are corrosive so who ever purchases them it would be a great shame to use those primers. If they contain mercury they will immediately contaminate the case and cause brittleness.

What he says. +1. Collectors, yes. To use and reload? No.

Posts: 6821 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: 18 November 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of eagle27
posted Hide Post
Actually on looking at the photos again they look to be common shotshell primers. Some of the cases have been fired by the looks of the corrosion inside so if the primers do contain mercury these cases may likely split if resized and loaded. If standard shotshell would be a simple and safe job to deprime all the clean cases and replace with non-corrosive.

Posts: 3909 | Location: Rolleston, Christchurch, New Zealand | Registered: 03 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Lucky:

Your best bet not only find out all you can about these primed shells, but also to figure out the best way to sell them would be to contact Ward's Auctions. They have quite a large shotshell following.

https://www.wardscollectibles.com/

HTH